KHL President basically ruled out possibility of NHL Vs KHL game for now

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
An NHL team couldn't even beat a mid-table team from Switzerland. There's no doubt that KHL could beat the NHL on an an international sized rink.
View attachment 312579

Could, yes. It’s hockey. If one of the goalies has a terrible or amazing night, weird things can happen. I don’t think they’d like how a series of games turned out. My guess is a reverse of what the Russians did to us in the 60’s and 70’s. The talent gap, top to bottom, is significant.

Reactions: Mordoch and MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Could, yes. It’s hockey. If one of the goalies has a terrible or amazing night, weird things can happen. I don’t think they’d like how a series of games turned out. My guess is a reverse of what the Russians did to us in the 60’s and 70’s. The talent gap, top to bottom, is significant.

Agreed. A single game is one thing but in a best of series I don't think the KHL would like what that could do to their image. Especially if it's a real game and not some all-star type showcase game. If all cylinders are firing I don't like their chances one bit.

Reactions: tucker3434

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Any KHL team? Or a stacked KHL team?

And the delta between the KHL and the AHL is a he'll of a lot smaller than the delta between the KHL and the NHL.

You want to challenge the king? You prove you can take on a prince first.
This type of approach wouldn't work in the real hockey world.

The KHL is the 2nd best league in the world, and I think that most fans would agree with this. Moreover, I think that the probability of the AHL vs the KHL series happening is much smaller than the KHL vs the NHL. The AHL is pretty much destined to be much lower than the NHL, but the KHL does have a better potential to at least reduce the class gap between itself and the best league in the world. And I am not even raising a financial aspect of a potential series.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

A potential KHL victory is not predicated solely on the play of goaltenders. Finland won the last World Championships with essentially a KHL level roster defeating NHL stacked teams several times.
The NHL is only 2 and 1 against KHL clubs in exhibitions.
Cohesiveness, structure and gameplan is just as important.

That said, an NHL club would almost certainly win a series. But I dont think it woukd be a blowout by any means.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
A potential KHL victory is not predicated solely on the play of goaltenders. Finland won the last World Championships with essentially a KHL level roster defeating NHL stacked teams several times.

That said, an NHL club would almost certainly win a series. But I dont think it woukd be a blowout by any means.
Or maybe the nhl teams just dont give a shit about an exhibition and dont really try.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
If they talked about it, the NHL probably insisted on drug tests so there wasn't enough KHLers to even form a full lineup

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Did anyone really think this was a possibility??

Why not?

The NHL regularly plays Euro-league teams in exhibitions, like yearly.

The NHL looked like it was to at least open to the idea but, apparently, scheduling was the main problem.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm fine with this. The Hurricanes played a KHL team about 10 years ago (think it the team that Alexei Yashin played for) and they tried to injure several of our players. I'd rather not see any NHL'ers get hurt because some KHL guy felt like taking unneccesary runs at the NHL guys.

Reactions: cptjeff

Aug 3, 2010
An NHL team couldn't even beat a mid-table team from Switzerland. There's no doubt that KHL could beat the NHL on an an international sized rink.
View attachment 312579
I think it purely depends on the format.

KHL All-Stars vs NHL-Stars is a vastly different potential result than Metallurg Magnitogorsk vs Detroit Red Wings.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
KHL would only embarass itself. It's no wonder they rule it out. It's a good league, but nowhere near the NHL.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Just like 72', Canada vs Russia, 8 games, 4 in each country.
I would love it, but Russia is no match to the USSR hockey yet. Specifically depth-wise. So Canada would dominate now. But in five years or so, this matchup could become more competitive.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I would love it, but Russia is no match to the USSR hockey yet. Specifically depth-wise. So Canada would dominate now. But in five years or so, this matchup could become more competitive.

Each country could use their NHL players.

Or after that WJC - 8 games of that would be nuts.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I'm fine with this. The Hurricanes played a KHL team about 10 years ago (think it the team that Alexei Yashin played for) and they tried to injure several of our players. I'd rather not see any NHL'ers get hurt because some KHL guy felt like taking unneccesary runs at the NHL guys.
I remember this game: SKA vs the Hurricanes. I disagree that the Russians wanted to intentionally injure the NHL players, but it sure seemed like the two teams had completely different attitudes toward this exhibition game. While the Hurricanes treated it like a regular pre-season game, the SKA players played the game at the playoffs intensity level.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Each country could use their NHL players.

Or after that WJC - 8 games of that would be nuts.
It would obviously include the NHLers. I am not even sure if any KHLers would make the Russian roster.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011

The slang term "stacked team" typically means that the team is comprised of all the best players (in this case of the participating nation) available. As in to "stack the deck", or to manipulate in order to achieve an advantage or desired result.

Every nation iced the best possible team with the best possible players that were available, even Finland in that regard.

I honestly think that if the WHC wasn't happening in May during the NHL playoffs every year, the results would have a good chance to be different though.

I do agree with your main point that great goaltending is not enough. Finland played great hockey and fully deserved the Gold medal they won, without a doubt.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Finland won the last World Championships with essentially a KHL level roster
Not true. That Finnish roster was way worse than a KHL one. They had almost only Liiga players and Liiga is like the 6th best league in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad