KHL Playoffs / Gagarin Cup 2013 • Round of 16

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Problem is that KHL/russian clubs dont want to be a feeders of NHL. Swedish/finnish/czech/slovak/suiss clubs have no problem with being feeder of NHL. Their choice. Czech clubs were feeders of NHL in 90ers, exodus to NHL.. look at them now, czech clubs have problems to find money... system of developing collapsed. Why? 1.change of regime and hockey developing model, 2.exodus to NHL for funny money.

I dont know swedish enviroment, but I would not be suprised if something similar happened to Sweden in next 30-50 years.
Thw problem with Czechs is the fact that it is as populous country as Sweden but lot less powerful economically... If Czechs had money, they'd have great hockey in their league. Pure and simple. The same about their youth hockey. I don't think we need to search for some other explanations.

Why would something like that happen in Sweden in 30-50 years? In 30-50 years Sweden will still have big companies and wealthy people to pay for hockey tickets... Russia had the same problem in 90s because the economy after the collapse of the USSR was in terrible shape but to the fact that country is much bigger than Czech Republic and has a lot of natural resources we now have KHL. And that's all. You can't just simply decide "I won't be a feeder to NHL!", you have to offer better or similar conditions and pay... and you can't do that if your economy cannot cope with a top class hockey league. Why Latvia doesn't have a league like Belarus, even though we constantly beat them in juniors? Because Latvia is like 2 million people, Belarus is 10 million + clubs backed by the government and big companies...

To sum up- in market economy you can't avoid being a feeder to NHL (or, like Dinamo Rīga, produce new hockey millionaires for top KHL clubs like Lokomotiv 4th line Miķelis Rēdlihs). You can only avoid that overpaying players which is done by KHL top (and not so top) clubs. Radulov is in KHL partially maybe he likes it in his home country but probably also because after taxes he's the highest paid player in the world at the moment. Every AHL player in KHLs upper half clubs is overpaid beyond belief (like 5-6 times the previous salary). Lokomotiv pays Miķelis more that Ozo or Hossa ever got in Dinamo Rīga, and the last two were the top stars of the club.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
You can't just simply decide "I won't be a feeder to NHL!",
But you can sign better transfer argeement with KHL. If all euro countries did the same as KHL, support KHL, so NHL would pay more. Maybe not next season, but within 10-20 years for sure. NHL is only one league, you have at least 5-6 strong euro hockey countries.. there is a potential to force NHL to pay more, but Swedes/Finns/Suiss have boycotted it.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Ok now a PLAY-OFF related question:

How do you think which series end tomorrow:

Sibir - Avangard
Barys - Traktor
Salavat Yulaev - Magnitogorsk

I think the only one will be Traktor taking the win in Astana. I might be wrong but SYU and Sibir, IHMO, can put up bigger fight at this moment and could bring it to game 7

member 116805

Could someone please post the link to the KHL stream site? hockey.ru or something like that. My computer died and and have forgotten the url :(

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
G Poluektov (92) of Barys will play again today. Good for him. He played at game 5th.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Is there actually some thread already about KHL mascots? If yes, which one? if not, should one be created? I think there are some funny ones. :D

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Is there actually some thread already about KHL mascots? If yes, which one? if not, should one be created? I think there are some funny ones. :D

in VHL as well ;)

You can create it, would be fun

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Yup, we'll be seeing game 7. Sibir has played exceptionally today and the series is tied 3-3. I have to say Omsk will be under a lot of pressure playing this team at home in game 7.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Wow! What a game! Sibir defeated Ava 3:0. Only God knows who will win series. I love Kudroc. Glass is great. They step up when team need it most of all.
Yes. It's a great day for hockey

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Looks like we might see top 4 in West and East in the next round. Just as last year... ;)

Not a good sign for the parity in the league, right?

And I bet that will be even worse if they expanse the league to 30 teams or more.

That said, I think it's ok that there are good teams and really good teams. Ans some teams have to be last.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
And I bet that will be even worse if they expanse the league to 30 teams or more.

That said, I think it's ok that there are good teams and really good teams. Ans some teams have to be last.
I don't think it's that bad, I mean look at the East - 3 pairs with game 7. Of course West sweeps like Dynamo - Slovan and CSKA - Lev were bad but truth be said both teams had their first experience of KHL play-offs and against such an opposition it showed... Also this years' parity was influenced by the lockout and the fact that top teams became even more ''top'' while small teams remained how they were.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne

Sure. I didn't say it's good to have certain top teams like Real, Barca and Man Utd. in football. But it's not so good for a league when always the same win. Could cost interest. ;)

Look at the Ligue 1 in France for example. The league is far more entertaining now with several teams being able to win and not only Lyon. Look at Spanish football. Only Real and Barcelona win. Not good.

And despite being new teams Slovan and Lev made the playoffs in their first season, Donbas almost qualified for them. They were already better than a dozen "veteran" teams of KHL. :)

I don't fear expansions teams to finish last. But it would be nice to have some expanions teams advance in playoffs. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad