KHL is currently dominated by non-Russian players

alce*

Every single club is supported by Russian governmental funds.

If that support will be cut off, the league will collapse instantly.

So, no, the support won't be cut off.

What a strange logic.:laugh: Do you really see no difference in supporting own clubs and supporting foreign clubs? Support of foreign clubs is a limited time thing. It should help them in first few years. One should be completely insane to think that it would last forever. They should find own sponsors or will be replaced by other teams.:nod:

The aim was to create an elite league that would be competitive on a global scale, instead of playing hockey in Siberian sheds between second-rate teams.

It's second goal. But third rate clubs from small poor countries couldn't help achieve it anyway so...

Who's FHR?
Organization that have power over KHL.:)

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
FHR is the Ice Hockey Federation of Russia (just to be clear). Russia's Hockey Canada.

The FHR was the governing body of the Russian Superleague, the KHL is independent and not under the FHR's power (though they obviously cooperate)

alce*

FHR is the Ice Hockey Federation of Russia (just to be clear). Russia's Hockey Canada.

The FHR was the governing body of the Russian Superleague, the KHL is independent and not under the FHR's power (though they obviously cooperate)

No KHL isn't independent. They wanted to be, but couldn't. :) To operate in Russia they have to get agreement with FHR, because according to the law about sport FHR is the only organization that can hold professional hockey tournaments in Russia. Or it could give that rights to other organization on period not longer than three years. KHL is even paying to FHR every year for such rights.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
As Alce pointed out to you, not Donbass, and they're doing pretty good last time I checked.
Not only Donbass. Clubs like Metallurg and Severstal are similar personal projects too, Zingarevich is up to buying the rest of Atlant etc.
But I don't think Namejs is for a serious discussions here, he's just throwing stereotypes on a fan. He dropped "Siberia" in this thread (boo, Siberian Gulags! ever heard of that?) like a dozen times already.

VladNYC*

{Mod} Who cares where good players in the KHL come from? But none of this is surprising. Russian kids all want to be Bure and almost none of them want to be Konstantinov. What can you do? The coaches aren't any help either. I don't know how it is now, but I played defense as a kid and they tried to make me a forward because I had offensive skills. Everyone knows we need more Darius Kasparitis types and less Mozyakin types but what can you do? You can't force kids with tons of passion for scoring and flash to play defense. Hopefully this is being addressed in the junior level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->