KHL in the Champions Hockey League

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Amount of teams is dropped to 32 this year, and winners price is bit over double the last year.

Winners price evolution season by season for next years in €uro (I always get confused with SEK so I think we need this too):
2017-18: 300 000
2018-19: 365 000
2019-20: 430 000
2020-21: 575 000
2021-22: 645 000
2022-23:720 000

Those prizes in end of table are worth trying for most Liiga teams. Typical player budget is 1,5-2M I think. For KalPa that 300 is something already this year.

https://www.mtv.fi/sport/jaakiekko/...-kasvavat-rajahdysmaisesti/6540640#gs.FBfG2kc

Thanks for the source. Another proof that total prize money are the same as last season.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I haven't been following the discussion closely so sorry if already mentioned but how is CHL planning to increase the revenue in years to come? I mean, we're talking about an increase of over %100 in five years. Do they have concrete plans in place to make it work or are these numbers just what they'd like to achieve?

New sponsorship deals I guess. Baumann said last year they signed a new 6 year contract.

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
KHL wants to cooperate with CHL but only if there are benefits for KHL & its clubs. KHL does not need CHL but CHL needs KHL. So I dont believe KHL would agree to join CHL only with western conference teams. There is a big NO from KHL. KHL has said many times that there is schedulling problem so KHL can not join CHL, only solution is a match/series among CHL&KHL champs. CHL is not (and wont be in next 10 yrs) attractive for KHL from financial point of view. Petr Briza, CHL Board member, said this week that CHL wants to double prize money until 2023. I googled and CHL had prize money 1,5M euro before 15/16 season, so they want to have 3M per season in 2023? It is really small increase, I expected something more (more ambition plan). I see no financial benefits for KHL here.

That much sums it. Hell, if I was managering chl I would like not only khl teams but nhl teams too participating! :laugh: Khl schedule is very packed already, even sprengler cup in the middle of the season is very hard fit for the teams as we saw with jokerit previously.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That much sums it. Hell, if I was managering chl I would like not only khl teams but nhl teams too participating! :laugh: Khl schedule is very packed already, even sprengler cup in the middle of the season is very hard fit for the teams as we saw with jokerit previously.

See ;)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
No idea what they thought about this tournament. The thing is, Davos has the Spengler Cup and that's why they have to be "partners" with KHL teams. I actually enjoy the Spengler Cup a whole lot more, it's described as a friendly tournament but still very interesting and enjoyable to watch. KHL teams are always willing to go because it's only a few days and it has a worldwide recognition.

Sure, I know that the partnership is because of the Spengler Cup. That is OK and nothing stange, there are other teams participating. Not a big deal. But I am suspicious because of following reasons:

- the KHL VP said that the league´s plan is to invite European teams to KHL´s preseason tournaments. Of course, the KHL teams travel to Switzeland, Czech rep, Finland for training camps & play against local teams. But, it is very rare that an European team travels to Russia (or Kazakhstan in this case) to play a few games. I remember only Kolner Haie in Chelyabinsk in 2012.

- The KHL adopted new strategy in May 2017. They want to expand more to European markets (TV). So the league chose to regularly invite (at least the KHL claims it) European clubs to Russia to show them KHL product. But why did the league choose HCD? Good relationship?

- the KHL VP said that Davos plans to host a Olympic tournament with Magnitka, Kunlun RS, HCD & maybe Frolunda as CHL champion. Why Davos to host it? Why not Prague, Zurich or Berlin? Maybe the Spengler Cup experience is an answer.

- HCD played at Junior Club World Cup this summer. The tournament is run by the KHL. Not a big deal with HCD here, there is Swedish, Czech, Finnish etc clubs every summer. But two things are suspicious - Swiss did not have money to travel to JCWC in past (so did miracle happened this summer?) & HCD was not a junior champion 2016/17 (per EP). Usually champions are invited. Why HCD? Why not other team? Maybe the good relationship between HCD & KHL was a reason. Do not know.

That all can be a coincidence. We do not know. Will be interesting to follow which European clubs to come to KHĹ´s preseason tournaments in the future. That could be a good start for cooperation between European clubs & the KHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sure, I know that the partnership is because of the Spengler Cup. That is OK and nothing stange, there are other teams participating. Not a big deal. But I am suspicious because of following reasons:

- the KHL VP said that the league´s plan is to invite European teams to KHL´s preseason tournaments. Of course, the KHL teams travel to Switzeland, Czech rep, Finland for training camps & play against local teams. But, it is very rare that an European team travels to Russia (or Kazakhstan in this case) to play a few games. I remember only Kolner Haie in Chelyabinsk in 2012.

- The KHL adopted new strategy in May 2017. They want to expand more to European markets (TV). So the league chose to regularly invite (at least the KHL claims it) European clubs to Russia to show them KHL product. But why did the league choose HCD? Good relationship?

- the KHL VP said that Davos plans to host a Olympic tournament with Magnitka, Kunlun RS, HCD & maybe Frolunda as CHL champion. Why Davos to host it? Why not Prague, Zurich or Berlin? Maybe the Spengler Cup experience is an answer.

- HCD played at Junior Club World Cup this summer. The tournament is run by the KHL. Not a big deal with HCD here, there is Swedish, Czech, Finnish etc clubs every summer. But two things are suspicious - Swiss did not have money to travel to JCWC in past (so did miracle happened this summer?) & HCD was not a junior champion 2016/17 (per EP). Usually champions are invited. Why HCD? Why not other team? Maybe the good relationship between HCD & KHL was a reason. Do not know.

That all can be a coincidence. We do not know. Will be interesting to follow which European clubs to come to KHĹ´s preseason tournaments in the future. That could be a good start for cooperation between European clubs & the KHL.

It's morea scheduling issue. KHL pre-season start way earlier than othe European leagues. For example, Finnish teams are not allowed to train on the ice together until the beginning of August. Annual one day tournament Pitsiturnaus in Rauma is the only allowed exception. Teams want to have a few pre-season games at home before the CHL games begin.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It's morea scheduling issue. KHL pre-season start way earlier than othe European leagues. For example, Finnish teams are not allowed to train on the ice together until the beginning of August. Annual one day tournament Pitsiturnaus in Rauma is the only allowed exception. Teams want to have a few pre-season games at home before the CHL games begin.

I do not think the schedulling is a problem. Maybe for Finnish teams as HCD & Kolner Haie prooved. Btw, majority of KHL preseason tournaments start in August. The most famous KHL preseason tournaments 2017 started mid-August. So no problem.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Magnitka, Dinamo Riga, HC Davos & Ocelari Trinec will play at a tournament in Davos during Olympics. Davos & Trinec has played the CHL this season, Trinec is in semifinal (to be played yet).

Reactions: Exarz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->