KHL in the Champions Hockey League

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Champions Hockey League has made an offer to KHL - two KHL teams in CHL playoff. KHL has time until end of April to respond.

The respond will be NO, but they can try :D

habsturies

May 27, 2012
Baja California Sur
maybe the non-play off teams can made a small tournament to decide thw two teams
to participate.

Could beintresting for them,An de pride of KHL is save,with the "excuse" that in case
of failure,the teams are not play-off quality.

In other view,the reguard is great in case of winning."we win with our worst teams":laugh:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
KHL has expressed their opinion today. It was fast :D KHL is working even during weekend! :D

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Damn, this CHL versus KHL talks are even more heated than the ones I had with my ex.

I feel for the poor CHL. Dude, it's tough but you get over it after a while. Keep your head up and stop blaming yourself for what happened. Huh.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I don't see any point in cooperation between CHL and KHL. Their ambitions are in completely different directions. The CHL wants to create profit for the clubs, while the KHL wants to create an empire.

Having a few European KHL clubs in CHL could increase the profit for the CHL clubs, but with Asian KHL clubs the costs would probably be too high.

And from KHL:s point of view, the CHL is only a rival. If a KHL team wins the CHL, the KHL wouldn't gain much from it, but if they lose, it would look bad for the KHL.

KHL should look at itself in more realistic way. Its a very good hockey and some of the clubs operate on top professional level. However most of KHL clubs can loose to other euro clubs easily, proved in preseason,Spengler etc. Second thing is that stories comming from some players who tried KHL are sometimes beyond understanable. Czech players are ussually reserved and diplomatic about that. But they recently shared some experiences, not in really negative way, and its very far from how KHL or its fans here describe itself or wants to see it self. Apart from cmpetition, CHL is not valuable for anybody. But reading here that KHLnegotiates from position of euro Super power is far from reality. There are money there, but it looks like a lot of players would rather play in NLA than there. If KHL considers CHL as its competitor, then they should probably thinks first, why their only wealthy foreign club is Jokerit and maybe Kunlun.

I personally dont care much about this issue because even travlling to Omsk might be financial nightmare for some teams which get to CHL by being succesfull in their domestic league. But pretending that KHL has somehow NHL importance in Europe is far from reality.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
KHL should look at itself in more realistic way. Its a very good hockey and some of the clubs operate on top professional level. However most of KHL clubs can loose to other euro clubs easily, proved in preseason,Spengler etc. Second thing is that stories comming from some players who tried KHL are sometimes beyond understanable. Czech players are ussually reserved and diplomatic about that. But they recently shared some experiences, not in really negative way, and its very far from how KHL or its fans here describe itself or wants to see it self. Apart from cmpetition, CHL is not valuable for anybody. But reading here that KHLnegotiates from position of euro Super power is far from reality. There are money there, but it looks like a lot of players would rather play in NLA than there. If KHL considers CHL as its competitor, then they should probably thinks first, why their only wealthy foreign club is Jokerit and maybe Kunlun.

I personally dont care much about this issue because even travlling to Omsk might be financial nightmare for some teams which get to CHL by being succesfull in their domestic league. But pretending that KHL has somehow NHL importance in Europe is far from reality.

I wouldn't classify Jokerit as being wealthy when their player budget is in the 10 million euro range and with almost 40 million euro losses in three seasons...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
150904_budjetit.jpg__863x516_q85_box-0%2C0%2C1050%2C626_crop_detail_subsampling-2.jpg

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And Kärpät turnover is nearly the same as Jokerit, while turning profit pretty mcuh every season. Neither that table or that fact has anything to do with the topic.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What is muut kulut and palaajapalkat?

muutkulut - other expenses, so rest of budget
palaajapalkat - player salaries

It is from 15/16 season in Liiga. So Jokerit has 2,5 times bigger budget than best Liiga club. Jokerit is somewhere in the middle of KHL.

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
muutkulut - other expenses, so rest of budget
palaajapalkat - player salaries

It is from 15/16 season in Liiga. So Jokerit has 2,5 times bigger budget than best Liiga club. Jokerit is somewhere in the middle of KHL.

That is remarkable.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Russians (aka KHL) don not negotiate about their territory (clubs) and sovereignty (only KHL has a right to decide who represent the league in CHL). Plus negotiating partner (CHL) has to respect Russia´s (KHL) interests and try to reach a compromise (KHL has offered a compromise - one match between champions - but CHL is not interested). CHL has to understand these principles. If not, there wont be any cooperation among leagues.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Kobylyanski announced today that more likely there will be a tournament in Davos during Olympic break. There should play HC Davos (long term KHL partner via Spengler Cup, now playing in Astana´s tournament), Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Kunlun Red Star & Frolunda (not confirmed yet) as CHL champion.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Champions Hockey League is in the upcoming NHL 18. Perhaps KHL should get on board so people would get to play with the teams? ;)

It's very stupid by the KHL to ask for that much money for their license. It would actually be a pretty good way of marketing the league by putting it in the NHL games.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It's very stupid by the KHL to ask for that much money for their license. It would actually be a pretty good way of marketing the league by putting it in the NHL games.

As I know the KHL wanted EA Sports to create a video game for the KHL. But EA Sports had (and still has) obligations to the NHL, so could not cooperate with the KHL. KHL even contacted some Japanese company from video games bussiness, but they have not been developing games for PC anymore. Then the KHL decided to develop their fantasy league, which is now on the league´s website.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
' I do not understand why the KHL is not in CHL. I know they want the KHL to be the top competition in Europe. However, the champions league does not hurt the EPL or La LIGA.
St.Petersburg v Frolunda (for example)in a champions hockey league final would outweigh any down side from not being seen as the top league in Europe.
The interest in Hockey in Europe from such an event would benefit the KHL.
The KHL's philosophy should be what is good for hockey is good for the KHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
' I do not understand why the KHL is not in CHL. I know they want the KHL to be the top competition in Europe. However, the champions league does not hurt the EPL or La LIGA.
St.Petersburg v Frolunda (for example)in a champions hockey league final would outweigh any down side from not being seen as the top league in Europe.
The interest in Hockey in Europe from such an event would benefit the KHL.
The KHL's philosophy should be what is good for hockey is good for the KHL.

There is more reasons for it.

The most important is schedulling. The KHL has similar schedule as the NHL, playing every day, travelling a lot. The CHL plays their games during IIHF breaks when SWE, FIN, RUS, CZ NTs play their tournament. So, if SKA played the CHL, half of a team could not play the CHL, because they are in NT. The KHL has said many times that they are ready to play one or two games with CHL champion, some series between CHL/KHL champions. But the CHL has refused such an idea all the time. Who is to blame?

Another aspect is financing. CHL clubs are in red numbers, why should the KHL support such a tournament? If there is no hope for a profit? You to know, CHL prize money is 1,5 million EURO and they plan to have 3 million EURO in 2022 or something like that.

Nobody cares about Euro hockey in Russia. CHL has very low attendance, but if SKA comes to some Euro CHL city, it would be sold out. So only a benefit for the CHL, not for the KHL.

CHL is de facto run by Swedes who (I mean their federation) are the biggest KHL haters. So, the KHL should support the CHL product, but Swedes (& other Euro federations) will do everything possible to stop KHL´s expansion to Europe? That are benefits for both sides? I do not think so.

I think these are the most important reasons for the KHL not being part of the CHL. And it wont change in near future. On the other hand, it seems the KHL will invite Euro clubs to the KHL preseason tournaments since next summer. This year HC Davos was invited to Astana´s tournament. If there is no interest from European federations or the CHL, the KHL can invite some Euro teams... case by case, it is more effective to negotiate with one club than one organisation (more interests from various sides).

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
There is more reasons for it.

The most important is schedulling. The KHL has similar schedule as the NHL, playing every day, travelling a lot. The CHL plays their games during IIHF breaks when SWE, FIN, RUS, CZ NTs play their tournament. So, if SKA played the CHL, half of a team could not play the CHL, because they are in NT. The KHL has said many times that they are ready to play one or two games with CHL champion, some series between CHL/KHL champions. But the CHL has refused such an idea all the time. Who is to blame?

Another aspect is financing. CHL clubs are in red numbers, why should the KHL support such a tournament? If there is no hope for a profit? You to know, CHL prize money is 1,5 million EURO and they plan to have 3 million EURO in 2022 or something like that.

Nobody cares about Euro hockey in Russia. CHL has very low attendance, but if SKA comes to some Euro CHL city, it would be sold out. So only a benefit for the CHL, not for the KHL.

CHL is de facto run by Swedes who (I mean their federation) are the biggest KHL haters. So, the KHL should support the CHL product, but Swedes (& other Euro federations) will do everything possible to stop KHL´s expansion to Europe? That are benefits for both sides? I do not think so.

I think these are the most important reasons for the KHL not being part of the CHL. And it wont change in near future. On the other hand, it seems the KHL will invite Euro clubs to the KHL preseason tournaments since next summer. This year HC Davos was invited to Astana´s tournament. If there is no interest from European federations or the CHL, the KHL can invite some Euro teams... case by case, it is more effective to negotiate with one club than one organisation (more interests from various sides).

Except KHL basically gave up with that euro expansion plans so there is no need to pretend that KHL wants to be something like euroasian league. I mean its quite time to stop being wanna be and show what you really are, i.e. compete. I dont really care that much, and KHL teams in CHL might be onesided, but this attitude you describing does not have real basis. CHL is euro tourney, KHL is not and probably, apart from big statements, never will be. And no, swedes, did not cause it. So good KHL has its position, but it bit looks like porcelain elephant, no offence.

I can understand to argument that KHL teams would attract people in Europe....

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
I was thinking that if the KHL joined the champions hockey league they would build a brand across Europe. Assuming they dominated the competition. Once teams like SKA, Metallurg, CSKA and other KHL teams become brand names and selling out Euro arenas. Teams like SC Bern, Frolunda, and Sparta Prague maybe more inclined to join a league such as the KHL with these other elite-brand-name teams in hockey.
As of now fans of Euro leagues have no interest in the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad