KHL in the Champions Hockey League

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
Now with the new CHL format beginning in 2017. What is chances we will see the KHL involved?

CHL has announced on their website they have a format ready if the KHL chooses to join.

Personally i would love to see 4 KHL teams joining. The only problem i see is the Eastern conference teams may be too much of a trip for the smaller euro nations to take. I was thinking maybe only the western conference of the KHL would be involved since it is a European tournament.

CSKA Moscow vs Frolunda would be amazing!!!

I would like to hear thoughts and if anybody has info.
Thank you

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
KHL wants to cooperate with CHL but only if there are benefits for KHL & its clubs. KHL does not need CHL but CHL needs KHL. So I dont believe KHL would agree to join CHL only with western conference teams. There is a big NO from KHL. KHL has said many times that there is schedulling problem so KHL can not join CHL, only solution is a match/series among CHL&KHL champs. CHL is not (and wont be in next 10 yrs) attractive for KHL from financial point of view. Petr Briza, CHL Board member, said this week that CHL wants to double prize money until 2023. I googled and CHL had prize money 1,5M euro before 15/16 season, so they want to have 3M per season in 2023? It is really small increase, I expected something more (more ambition plan). I see no financial benefits for KHL here.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
I believe if the KHL joined the CHL it would attract more advertisers. Thus adding to the prize money. And furthermore, the KHL teams would get much needed publicly for their teams by traveling across major European cities to take on Euro clubs.

Sucro

Rhymesayers Fanboy
May 11, 2013
Vienna
I don't think CHL would be happy about potentially playing vs Admiral or Kunlun with all that money-making approach.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I believe if the KHL joined the CHL it would attract more advertisers. Thus adding to the prize money. And furthermore, the KHL teams would get much needed publicly for their teams by traveling across major European cities to take on Euro clubs.

Jokerit turnover since joining the KHL has inceased only 10-15% so I'm not sure if the sponsors are that interested.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
you did not say all truth - there are sanctions so some investors, sponsors can not sponsor Jokerit

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
I don't think CHL would be happy about potentially playing vs Admiral or Kunlun with all that money-making approach.

Would Kunlun or Admiral make the CHL though?

Those are bottom teams (ok Admiral is decent but not top level)

The farthest East a KHL team in the CHL would be is Omsk.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
you did not say all truth - there are sanctions so some investors, sponsors can not sponsor Jokerit

It's more a combination of Finnish economy not doing well and Finnish companies operating in Russia either cutting down or pulling their operations from Russia due to the Russian economy not doing well or no longer being attractive.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara

Why sponsors can't back Jokerit doesn't matter here at all. In the end, they can't. Sanctions or something else... Maybe he didn't speak ""all truth but he didn't have to as the things you mention are not quite relevant about the subject. Sanctions are not a one or two-day things. Some are related to Minsk II and may be softened in near future. However, the sanctions imposed for Crimea will likely never be lifted as I am sure Putin won't say, "OK, we annexed Crimea but now we gotta give it back to Ukraine, sorry guys" and go. If I am not mistaken, Rotenberg family heavily influences the "business" in Crimea (they are the ones building this bridge, right?) so the sanctions related to peninsula will hurt them and other sponsors around.

So, saying "Jokerit cannot be sponsored by some because of sanctions" is like "I can't buy Ferrari because I am broke". It's a fact yet it changes nothing and doesn't make future look better.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

KHL has an ambition to become "best bussiness league in European hockey market", so I doubt KHL would want to develop CHL. Maybe we will have more informations in September when World Hockey Forum will take place in Moscow, see, one of topics is development of euro club hockey.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
the problem is - that you will hardly interest Russian fans with any foreign teams (outside of KHL) unless they have known stars or really have a name.
If you go far east, however, you will get attendance no matter what, imho

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
New development of the situation. CHL leadership still dont understand what is happening, they dont agree with KHL´s proposal of one/two games among KHL/CHL champions. But wants "clubs like CSKA or SKA" in CHL, what if KHL picks Admiral, Amur or Kunlun for CHL? :D They want 4 KHL clubs on one hand, on another side SHL/Liiga have 5 clubs. I like Chernyshenko´s words that KHL does not need to join anything/anyone.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
I understand that the KHL is trying to make themselves the premier league in Europe and Asia. However, they do not have the majority of European hockey fans (Sweden, Czech, Germany, Austria, Swittzerland and yes Finland) totally sold on the KHL's idea of building a closed super league that will ultimately compete with the NHL. This would be the equivalent to the NHL not having Canadian hockey fans on board at the creation of the NHL.
I think at this time, it would be wise for the KHL to enter the Champions hockey league. The reasons many Euro-Hockey fans are not sold on their clubs joining the KHL is the fact that they are not familiar with KHL clubs. If a CSKA Moscow, SKA St.petersburg, Metalurg MMG and many more KHL clubs played exciting CHL games against top euro clubs, Euro fans may develop an appetite to play these higher caliber teams more often than small city Euro clubs.
Right now there is no demand for KHL in many Euro hockey countries. Fans are content with there national leagues. But if you expose them to something better and more exciting than maybe you will start changing the minds of fans especially big city clubs like Frolunda, Eisbaren, and Sparta.

steap

Aug 15, 2008
Novosibirsk, Russia
This is stupid idea to join CHL. I can't see anything good for KHL clubs. Everyone knows that KHL is the best hockey league in Europe. But if our clubs will lose this meaningless tournament someone could doubt about it. This is the first. The second - KHL shoud make some windows in schedule for some clubs. But KHL calendar is too difficult to add more games for it's teams. We could see what's happened the last time we did such stupid things - Metallurg lost to ZSC Lions in final. So I don't see any advantages.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
This is stupid idea to join CHL. I can't see anything good for KHL clubs. Everyone knows that KHL is the best hockey league in Europe. But if our clubs will lose this meaningless tournament someone could doubt about it. This is the first. The second - KHL shoud make some windows in schedule for some clubs. But KHL calendar is too difficult to add more games for it's teams. We could see what's happened the last time we did such stupid things - Metallurg lost to ZSC Lions in final. So I don't see any advantages.
I want the top Euro clubs to join the KHL. But right now they do not have the euro national leagues or even the fans blessings. How would you turn this euro hockey mindset of national leagues only to a pan-Eurasia super league such as the KHL?

Reactions: KK91

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I want to believe that it's just vorky's translation. Otherwise, if this is really what they exactly said... I have no words. :laugh:

I tried to do my best, but you can verify it & correct the translation. There is a typo at Bauman´s speech (last sentence): "the decision must be made at the end of April, because we have A DRAW in May. "

Baumann original source

«Идея проведения матчей между победителями КХЛ и нашей лиги звучит интересно, но это не входит в наши планы. На самом деле сложно будет организовать такие матчи: мы начинаем свой турнир в августе, заканчиваем в феврале, а обладатель Кубка Гагарина определяется лишь в апреле. Наша цель – привлечь клубы КХЛ на постоянной основе.

Мы обсуждали идею привлечения их в формате финала четырёх, где две лучшие команды КХЛ играли бы с двумя нашими лучшими клубами. Но наши команды-учредители не поняли бы это, это нечестно по отношению к ним. Мы готовы освободить клубы КХЛ от группового этапа, но плей-офф они будут должны пройти.

Мы надеемся, что это случится уже в следующем сезоне. Понятно, что в олимпийский год будет тяжело это сделать, но если у всех будет желание, то можно будет найти определённое решение. Для начала мы хотим, чтобы хотя бы две команды присоединились к нам, наша цель — чтобы четыре клуба КХЛ играли у нас. Речь в большей степени о российских командах, таких как ЦСКА или СКА. Дедлайн? Если говорить о следующем сезоне, то нужно прийти к решению в конце апреля, так как в мае у нас уже будет жеребьёвка»

Chernyshenko original source

«Мы действительно получали предложения о сотрудничестве от руководства Лиги чемпионов, однако конкретных переговоров о вступлении клубов Континентальной хоккейной лиги в этот проект не велось. В связи с этим вызывают удивление слова исполнительного директора Лиги чемпионов Мартина Бауманна о том, что две наши команды присоединятся к проекту уже в следующем сезоне. КХЛ â€” сильнейшая лига на евразийском пространстве, нам не к кому присоединяться. Как я уже говорил, мы готовы рассмотреть вопрос о проведении выставочных матчей между победителем Лиги чемпионов и обладателем Кубка Гагарина»

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@steap - I agree with your schedule argument. CHL is played during EHT breaks. KHL/Russian Fed wont trade participation in CHL over games of Russian National Team in EHT. And CHL leadership still dont understand it.

@stars33 - OK, I get your point. First, schedule is a problem. Second, why should KHL promote CHL as project? Not in KHL´s interests, especially if KHL have to change its schedule. Btw, Russia/KHL proposed better IIHF schedule (WHC not every year etc), but Europe did not support the idea and now, Europe/CHL complains because KHL can not join their tournament due to schedule? Third, there are higher standards in KHL (especially best clubs) than in CHL.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I understand that the KHL is trying to make themselves the premier league in Europe and Asia. However, they do not have the majority of European hockey fans (Sweden, Czech, Germany, Austria, Swittzerland and yes Finland) totally sold on the KHL's idea of building a closed super league that will ultimately compete with the NHL. This would be the equivalent to the NHL not having Canadian hockey fans on board at the creation of the NHL.
I think at this time, it would be wise for the KHL to enter the Champions hockey league. The reasons many Euro-Hockey fans are not sold on their clubs joining the KHL is the fact that they are not familiar with KHL clubs. If a CSKA Moscow, SKA St.petersburg, Metalurg MMG and many more KHL clubs played exciting CHL games against top euro clubs, Euro fans may develop an appetite to play these higher caliber teams more often than small city Euro clubs.
Right now there is no demand for KHL in many Euro hockey countries. Fans are content with there national leagues. But if you expose them to something better and more exciting than maybe you will start changing the minds of fans especially big city clubs like Frolunda, Eisbaren, and Sparta.

The fans know what a financial burden KHL has been for Jokerit and the threats the financial system would place for the future of their clubs.

Finnish fans have been "exposed" to KHL for three years and even Jokerit fans don't really know or care about other clubs and most stop watching the games after Jokerit are eliminated. Just on the biggest Finnish hockey message board the interest among Jokerit fans has decreased every year and the fans of other teams know all about it and don't want to subject their clubs and themselves to that misery.

bordshockeypampen

Dec 11, 2013
I don't see any point in cooperation between CHL and KHL. Their ambitions are in completely different directions. The CHL wants to create profit for the clubs, while the KHL wants to create an empire.

Having a few European KHL clubs in CHL could increase the profit for the CHL clubs, but with Asian KHL clubs the costs would probably be too high.

And from KHL:s point of view, the CHL is only a rival. If a KHL team wins the CHL, the KHL wouldn't gain much from it, but if they lose, it would look bad for the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad