KHL Expansion Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I am on Alessandro side here. There are posters who are Russia/KHL haters, but I would not like name them, we all know who I am talking.

European hockey fans should want euro hockey to be as strong as possible. If you want strong league/s you need best possible players and money to pay them. European domestic leagues/clubs have not best players nor money because all best going to NHL. It is not a problem that players going to NHL of course. Problem is that NHL does not pay fair transfer fees for players. Only way how to force NHL to pay fair compensations is if euro hockey clubs are united (including Russia) and have big money. KHL has ambition to unite euro clubs and is possible to lure big money to league. And what Euros has been doing? They fight against KHL (instead of cooperation with KHL) - CHL and Euro Club Association are proofs of such behavior. This euro federations attitude if cancer of euro hockey.

Man, you and I might be loving Russia, but many in Europe don't. :sarcasm: Moreover, NHL and KHL are not the same and will never be... Because NA is a huge place with only TWO similar countries. On the other hand, Europe has too many currencies, traditions, local things going on etc. Any Canadian team would be happy to join NHL but this is not the case in Europe. Some simply want to keep it local, some don't like the idea of being pioneered by Russia etc.

The fact is Baltics are on tenterhooks because they are scared of a Russian invasion. When this is how it looks, people in Narva for example are fearful of a sudden attack and the other parts of continent are very skeptical of Russia in any way, how can you expect them to leave their already-established leagues and put themselves under Russian wings? I won't discuss if their fears are relevant or if Russian-haters spread those news; I just write this to make you aware of how it looks like in "out of Russia". The simple facts we have here,

1. Russia is not in a position to be unifying, cementing power for Europe. Not in hockey, not in anything else. Well, I am actually wrong with that: They unify countries who are scared of them, but not in a way Russia favours.

2. Comparing NHL to KHL is OK hockey-wise but putting them in a race with each other won't help KHL. Believe me, we can keep having GREAT European local leagues with a strong Kontinental Hockey League. I mean, you don't need to snatch one or two teams from everywhere to make KHL viable. CHL and others have their reasons to oppose KHL, it's not like they don't want hockey to grow.

The thing is, Russia tailored this "big brother" role in Europe herself and now wants to sell it via KHL but people are rightly skeptical. For example, look at this article,

http://isnblog.ethz.ch/intelligence...ties-in-the-region-in-a-comparative-context-2

As I said, I am not interested if this is true or not; but this is what Swedes read or hear. Do you think they care about "being the best hockey team" in the world thanks to Russia? I would love hockey to be a brotherly thing for Europe to bring everyone together but no, in this continent, this will probably never ever happen. It's too much of a wishful thinking.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Man, you and I might be loving Russia, but many in Europe don't. :sarcasm: Moreover, NHL and KHL are not the same and will never be... Because NA is a huge place with only TWO similar countries. On the other hand, Europe has too many currencies, traditions, local things going on etc. Any Canadian team would be happy to join NHL but this is not the case in Europe. Some simply want to keep it local, some don't like the idea of being pioneered by Russia etc.

The fact is Baltics are on tenterhooks because they are scared of a Russian invasion. When this is how it looks, people in Narva for example are fearful of a sudden attack and the other parts of continent are very skeptical of Russia in any way, how can you expect them to leave their already-established leagues and put themselves under Russian wings? I won't discuss if their fears are relevant or if Russian-haters spread those news; I just write this to make you aware of how it looks like in "out of Russia". The simple facts we have here,

1. Russia is not in a position to be unifying, cementing power for Europe. Not in hockey, not in anything else. Well, I am actually wrong with that: They unify countries who are scared of them, but not in a way Russia favours.

2. Comparing NHL to KHL is OK hockey-wise but putting them in a race with each other won't help KHL. Believe me, we can keep having GREAT European local leagues with a strong Kontinental Hockey League. I mean, you don't need to snatch one or two teams from everywhere to make KHL viable. CHL and others have their reasons to oppose KHL, it's not like they don't want hockey to grow.

The thing is, Russia tailored this "big brother" role in Europe herself and now wants to sell it via KHL but people are rightly skeptical. For example, look at this article,

http://isnblog.ethz.ch/intelligence...ties-in-the-region-in-a-comparative-context-2

As I said, I am not interested if this is true or not; but this is what Swedes read or hear. Do you think they care about "being the best hockey team" in the world thanks to Russia? I would love hockey to be a brotherly thing for Europe to bring everyone together but no, in this continent, this will probably never ever happen. It's too much of a wishful thinking.

1. I believe vorky is from Slovakia.
2.Estonians are paranoic about "reds" but Narva is an ethnic russian city basically. And yeah, this paranoia is promoted by their governments.
3.This continent is polarizing and rather fast. And the border is not going to be national like in the past, but ideological. Traditionalists and conservatives are drifting towards Russia while liberals and neocons are drifting towards globalists(EU, NATO, USA).

So it can change in future.

But right now, yeah, espesciallly with all of this "save Ukraine!" drama and "Putin=Hitler, ie absolute evil" narrative it's a hard task to create a succesful project, espescially in Sweden, where people are very trusting to their media and goernment.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
hansomreiste - you wrote it and that is why I am pissed off, incompetent people run european hockey federations (and not only hockey feds but I dont want to talk politics here)

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
1. I believe vorky is from Slovakia.
2.Estonians are paranoic about "reds" but Narva is an ethnic russian city basically. And yeah, this paranoia is promoted by their governments.
3.This continent is polarizing and rather fast. And the border is not going to be national like in the past, but ideological. Traditionalists and conservatives are drifting towards Russia while liberals and neocons are drifting towards globalists(EU, NATO, USA).

So it can change in future.

But right now, yeah, espesciallly with all of this "save Ukraine!" drama and "Putin=Hitler, ie absolute evil" narrative it's a hard task to create a succesful project, espescially in Sweden, where people are very trusting to their media and goernment.

1) I knew he is not from Russia. I just said "You and I might love but others don't" because he is quite enthusiastic about KHL idea - while I love both KHL and Russia, I am not. It's already good as it is and with some new regulations and possible ways to increase income for teams, it will get its best shape. No need for further dreaming than that like "Our holy single European league".

2) The reason I specially mentioned Narva is exactly this. When you go march into a town like "But hey, these are our people!" it does not look like an invasion for many, so Narva would definitely be on my list if I was a superpower - happily I am not. Anyways, as I said, I just mentioned this to highlight the situation in Baltics, not because Russia are evil or will invade Estonia.

3) Exactly. While it may sound funny to call Europe unsafe as a citizen of Turkey living in Ukraine, I see a really bleak future for EU in general. Economic issues and an army of Syrians were more than enough to put a dent on their unbreakable bond. When such consistencies arise and many people voluntarily and regularly exercise military training "just in case", I see no point in comparing North America to Europe; NHL and KHL for our topic.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
That's what I was talking about.
It's easy to see from your post that you dislike KHL and you actually care if there will be a swedish team in KHL.
P.S. Show is not over, it's just the beginning.

I don't care about KHL at all apart from the Swedish expansion, and in this case I found the possible expansion hillarious. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I hate something.

What do you want me to say? "Swedish hockey fans would die to get a KHL team, it's such an amazing league and everyone here cares about it!"?

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Okay let me share some things here with the Russians or the other pro KHL in here.

In the news on the internet they've had polls where alot of people have voted, not just once, but many times. And everytime it's been a big "No". Most of the people here already have a team to cheer on and knows what tradition means. People rather see games like Brynas - Leksand or Frolunda - Farjestad etc, because we have history with eachother. For example, if my team (Frolunda) decided to join KHL and have a home game against HC Sochi or something like, believe me, I would absolutely not be interested and i'm very sure the majority would feel the same.

And let's say they start this Crowns project, with no fans or hirstory. And they get to play in KHL and lose 10m of dollars a year that now gets funded but probably not forever. And on top of that, you probably have to hand out free tickets to even get people there. It really wont hold.
Nah, this whole thing is so uninteresting to be honest.
And you can call me a "KHL hater" as much as you want, but that's really not the case. I watch KHL games time to time, but i really dont think it will work with a swedish team. So you dont need to be "hater" to see things realistically.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
That's what I was talking about.
It's easy to see from your post that you dislike KHL and you actually care if there will be a swedish team in KHL.
P.S. Show is not over, it's just the beginning.

The clownish Crowns' show is over. And the show for a Swedish KHL team is over until an existing Swedish club will pressure SIHA enough to let them go, which will not happen in the next couple of years. KHL asked SIHA about AIK, they said no. KHL asked AIK directly, they said no as well. And AIK is the only Swedish team that could be close to join the KHL, unless they get so desperate they try to get Hammarby.

I'm happy that the Crowns' project never went off. It was a disaster from the beginning and the people running the project were clearly not capable of doing it.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
The clownish Crowns' show is over. And the show for a Swedish KHL team is over until an existing Swedish club will pressure SIHA enough to let them go, which will not happen in the next couple of years. KHL asked SIHA about AIK, they said no. KHL asked AIK directly, they said no as well. And AIK is the only Swedish team that could be close to join the KHL, unless they get so desperate they try to get Hammarby.

I'm happy that the Crowns' project never went off. It was a disaster from the beginning and the people running the project were clearly not capable of doing it.
Opinions aside, what's the real update with crowns. Some people keep saying the bid has already been dropped and others are still giving reports. Not your opinion, what is the actual news on it? What's the actual update?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Opinions aside, what's the real update with crowns. Some people keep saying the bid has already been dropped and others are still giving reports. Not your opinion, what is the actual news on it? What's the actual update?

The actual update is that it's borderline impossible, like 99%. Putin and KHL has said they need Swedish hockey federation support, and they won't have it.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty

SIIHA send a letter asking RIHF to forbid Crowns to play in KHL. RIHF did not respond yet. And it is not clear if KHL would listen to RIHF.

Last edited:

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
Never said that. I am only posting actual stuff: Lev was the best attended team in Prague. Jokerit has a great attendance. Slovan has too. And I'm not even talking about Minsk, Riga, Astana. You can write how many but's you want, but every but you write won't remove even one fan from protocols.
I am fine with everyone who hates/doesn't love/doesn't care about the KHL, but they should admit it.
I don't care about the NHL myself, do you see me posting in the NHL boards about things I don't care? I don't care, thus I don't post.

You have to understand that the Swedish market is much different compared to Finnish or Czech market. This is what we are trying to explain to you.

The fact that Jokerit will fold from the KHL next season and go back to SM-Liiga is unthinkable in Sweden. We would NEVER let a team like Färjestad join the KHL, and then 3 seasons later go back to the top tier League. This is fundamentally unthinkable here in Sweden. That's why we still have a pretty fair promotion system. The hockey mind with people is highly influenced by the football Culture and it makes sense with a promotion system.

Crowns is a completely new thing in Swedish sports, something taken from an American/European Continental mind set and will simply not work. It. will. not. work. Period.

I'd like to see a team from Sweden join the KHL. I really do. But it's just not possible. It can't be done. The door is closed permanently now.

Also, if you want to make a case that "30% of the Swedish voters wanted a KHL team bla bla bla". The question should instead be "Would you want to see your favorite team in the KHL?" and the result would be 99% NO. I Always vote yes in these stupid polls that means nothing... But if they ask if my team (Djurgården) should join the KHL - hell no! That would be the end of the club (and all other Swedish clubs that will ever join).

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
pulverapa - I know how swedish hockey community is conservative, I dont say you are wrong with your opinon and I even dislike Crowns (after watching presser).

Who said you that Jokerit will leave KHL? I read an interview with Kurri a few days ago, he said that Jokerit does not think about leaving KHL at all. Jussi is only one who thinks that Jokerit will leave KHL, because he says something about 3y deal with KHL. Of course, KHL signs 3y deals with every one team. Do you know how many times I have heard about Slovan leaving?? And nothing happened.

SIHA chairman said to TASS yesterday that he does not close door for KHL, maybe there will be cooperation with KHL in future. Tell me, why did he say it? IMO pointless to say such words if the door are closed forever. I dont say that swedish club joins in near future, I just ask why he said it.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
Rather than communication about this Crowns, I would like to see from KHL, news about the Chinese club.

Also, a couple of days ago, there were talks about a second club in Belarus (apparently president Lukashenko, would be open now for this project - if beneficial for Belarus NT)....

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Rather than communication about this Crowns, I would like to see from KHL, news about the Chinese club.

Also, a couple of days ago, there were talks about a second club in Belarus (apparently president Lukashenko, would be open now for this project - if beneficial for Belarus NT)....

Really? News about possibly new teams are always interesting but I am not sure if Belarus can support two KHL-level ice hockey teams. Finding players that are good enough should not be an obstacle but can they fill the arena regularly? Dynamo Minsk is doing great on that aspect but I am not sure if this city is big enough to host two KHL teams. If not Minsk, which city has potential for such a venture? Borisov maybe? I'd be so in for a Dynamo-BATE war in ice hockey as well but that's probably not gonna happen.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
Really? News about possibly new teams are always interesting but I am not sure if Belarus can support two KHL-level ice hockey teams. Finding players that are good enough should not be an obstacle but can they fill the arena regularly? Dynamo Minsk is doing great on that aspect but I am not sure if this city is big enough to host two KHL teams. If not Minsk, which city has potential for such a venture? Borisov maybe? I'd be so in for a Dynamo-BATE war in ice hockey as well but that's probably not gonna happen.

I'm not a follower of their league, but don't think there's a hockey team in Borisov.

The thing is that having a team in a different city will be something, but I'm not sure about the infrastructure, here including the arena. At least in Minsk you have two proper arenas, and I know that Yunost Minsk won the league this season and Neman Grodno was present in Champions Hockey League.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

I don't think that attendance would be a problem, hockey is the sport in Belarus in the end. I'd like the second Belarusian team to be based in another city (maybe Gomel?) but I don't think that they have adequate facilities outside Minsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad