KHL European takeover?

xsnyper

Mar 25, 2012
Sudbury
The KHL started out as the top-tier Russian league, but it has now grown and has teams in 7 other countries.

Is it possible that the KHL could expand into a much larger league (40-60 teams) and become the single top-tier league in Europe? While all other domestic leagues become tier-2 leagues.

Spektanto

May 31, 2012
Chelyabinsk
The KHL started out as the top-tier Russian league, but it has now grown and has teams in 7 other countries.

Is it possible that the KHL could expand into a much larger league (40-60 teams) and become the single top-tier league in Europe? While all other domestic leagues become tier-2 leagues.
Medvedev said it will be up to 32 teams in the KHL. As for the top-tier league of Europe - everything's possible, but in 20-30 years, not earlier.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Medvedev said it will be up to 32 teams in the KHL. As for the top-tier league of Europe - everything's possible, but in 20-30 years, not earlier.

Hmm, last year i saw somewhere 64 teams. That is unrealistic. Sure, there is still potential in some Euro cities, Asia and Middle East. But 64 teams in one league is ridiculous.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
32 is the limit and it's also more or less the perfect number for any MAJOR league (look at NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA or UEFA Champions League).

If there would be teams from Switzerland / Germany / Sweden maybe they could introduce some relegation system. Like the last 4 of KHL face the 8 winners of European top leagues / VHL to play for the 4 spots the next KHL season.

But I doubt they would do that as they could lose markets if certain teams would be relegated and also they wouldn't want to reduce the number of Russian teams much I guess.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
If there would be teams from Switzerland / Germany / Sweden maybe they could introduce some relegation system. Like the last 4 of KHL face the 8 winners of European top leagues / VHL to play for the 4 spots the next KHL season.

Never going to happen. Going away from relegation system was one of the reasons for creating KHL.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
They will for sure cut some russian teams (vytjaz comes to mind and metalurg NK), relocate some (like to sochi) and maybe combine couple. Which doesnt mean a drastic reduction as they will probably create few new teams where it suites them. I heard somewhere it will be 16 russian 16 non russian teams, so 7 spots left for non russian teams left if the league doesnt grow. of these 1 is going to jokerit next year, 1 reserved fr swiss 1-2 Germany, Italy wants 1 place (Milano), they will want a swedish team, maybe Norweigian, and i guess 2 left for South korea and Japan if they want a asian expansion. I know there is a big desire to add Red Bull austrian team to KHL aswell.

But in all fairness i think it will grow still aleast to encompass temas from Elite tear and from leagues that are getting stronger (Denmark, France, austria and hungary, but not Slovenia cause of its monetary constraints) and a chinese team maybe simply for the marketing potential. But that would all in all mean atleast 36-38 teams

XxTatar21SaucexX

MotownShowdown
Sep 3, 2012
I would be interested in watching a KHL game to see how much it differs from the NHL. I'm assuming it's a faster game with more open ice? Less physical?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I would be interested in watching a KHL game to see how much it differs from the NHL. I'm assuming it's a faster game with more open ice? Less physical?

Actually, it's a lot slower game with more open ice because you can take your time with the puck. And it is less physical.

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
Actually, it's a lot slower game with more open ice because you can take your time with the puck. And it is less physical.

I don't think slower is the term I'd use. Its more of a calculated game, players have time to think a little bit. When you add the players skill in the KHL plus a little more time in the NHL you get all those pretty highlight goals that end up on puckdaddy.

Honestly though if you're North American instead of watching games right from the beginning you should try just watching picking up a team, and watching the Daily KHL english videos. Highlights all the games played from the day before with English commentary.

Here's the one from yesterday:

http://en.khl.ru/news/2013/12/06/25840.html

loppa*

I think that the number of countries is overstated, by far too.

Suppose this was Europe in 1991. Whoops, there's only the soviet union countries and czechoslovak countries. That makes two countries.

The first real expansion in my opinion was when they entered the czechoslovak area. The second was this medvescak experiment... I find it to be very interesting. In a way I don't even want to call it a European addition, as the entire team (I think) is north american... so kind a euro-american addition perhaps. Then... the third addition is this Finnish team.

I don't mean to offend anyone, of course, but this is just how I see it.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
loppa you would be right about Medvescak, except the statement "that all were NA players", i must proudly say we do have 3 Cro born players lol and 1 croger (croatian german lol) 3 cronucks, 1 sweed, 1 slovak, 1 slovenian and 1 danish :D lol but most are NA.
Some NA players and the Croger (Martinovic) have the right to play in out nation team aswell.
But you are right they do play a variation of the NA style no matter where they are from (although not NHL physical style though).

loppa*

loppa you would be right about Medvescak, except the statement "that all were NA players", i must proudly say we do have 3 Cro born players lol and 1 croger (croatian german lol) 3 cronucks, 1 sweed, 1 slovak, 1 slovenian and 1 danish :D lol but most are NA.
Some NA players and the Croger (Martinovic) have the right to play in out nation team aswell.
But you are right they do play a variation of the NA style no matter where they are from (although not NHL physical style though).

My bad, sorry... if I am not mistaken, my statement was more accurate at the start of the season - I have not followed what new players got added as the season went on. I thought that the only croat born player there was the goalie, but he played in only one game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad