khan talks training camp

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Svech is a first round pick. And I worry that sending him back to GR, where he struggled last time around, might be a death sentence for his Red Wings career.
I'd like to help him avoid that.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Svech is a first round pick. And I worry that sending him back to GR, where he struggled last time around, might be a death sentence for his Red Wings career.
I'd like to help him avoid that.

Svech was ready to play for GR last season, but he suffered a setback about a week before he was suppose to report to GR (be released from IR) and the Wings shut him down and he did not skate for a couple of weeks.

Since Svech did not play at all last season, the Wings got the OK from the AHL for him to be waiver exempt for 19-20. Wings should take advantage of that and access his recovery and by then they will know what to do with him for 20-21.

Maybe Detroit should send Svech down to Toledo for a month before coming up to GR. Frk has the same thing happened to him when he started as he could not crack GR lineup for 2 seasons and it helped him plenty. But because Svech is a Red Wings 1st rounder, I doubt they would that. They had that opportunity in 17-18 season to send him to Toledo for about a month to get his confidence back, but chose not to.

This will be Svech make it or move him year for the organization. Hopefully he can get it together and make it work.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Svech was ready to play for GR last season, but he suffered a setback about a week before he was suppose to report to GR (be released from IR) and the Wings shut him down and he did not skate for a couple of weeks.

Since Svech did not play at all last season, the Wings got the OK from the AHL for him to be waiver exempt for 19-20. Wings should take advantage of that and access his recovery and by then they will know what to do with him for 20-21.

Maybe Detroit should send Svech down to Toledo for a month before coming up to GR. Frk has the same thing happened to him when he started as he could not crack GR lineup for 2 seasons and it helped him plenty. But because Svech is a Red Wings 1st rounder, I doubt they would that. They had that opportunity in 17-18 season to send him to Toledo for about a month to get his confidence back, but chose not to.

This will be Svech make it or move him year for the organization. Hopefully he can get it together and make it work.

If Svech goes to Toledo, his career is over.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Since Svech did not play at all last season, the Wings got the OK from the AHL for him to be waiver exempt for 19-20.
It's the NHL that determines waiver exemption, because it's the NHL waiver system. The AHL did give him an exemption from the roster requirement for the playoffs, but he wasn't healthy enough to play.

Agree.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

My goodness.
Svechnikov to Toledo?
Unless the plan is to move chase him back to Russia, I can't say I understand that.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
My goodness.
Svechnikov to Toledo?
Unless the plan is to move chase him back to Russia, I can't say I understand that.

You acted like you did not want Svech to come back down the GR, so I just responded to your post that maybe Toledo would be a better option and different scenery. Most of us here know that Svech will start this season in GR. From there, it will be up to him to prove to everyone that he should be in the NHL. Hope he does it.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You acted like you did not want Svech to come back down the GR, so I just responded to your post that maybe Toledo would be a better option and different scenery. Most of us here know that Svech will start this season in GR. From there, it will be up to him to prove to everyone that he should be in the NHL. Hope he does it.

"Most of us know."
Really?
How can you "know" where Svech will start?
With Rasmussen moving to C, Svech's chances to start in the NHL just increased by like 50 percent.
It's basically Hirose, Zadina and Svechnikov battling for two spots.

Now, the beat reporters all seem to think Svech will start in GR.
But if Svech, a month shy of 23, has a good camp, and Zadina and Hirose don't, I'd say that would put Svech in the driver's seat.

I want to treat this year carefully with Svechnikov. And to me, that means giving him every opportunity to succeed at the NHL level if he's healthy and playing well.
Because if he hits birthday 23 in October while in Grand Rapids, man, I'm not liking the chances things are going to go well for him as a Red Wing - and that would be a shame.

We spent ALL YEAR with Rasmussen sucking wing on Line 3 last year. I don't see why we can't afford Svech a month or two the chance to prove something.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Of course he is not going. Looked more NHLr than anybody on that Hawks game.

But, I could still see him going to Grand Rapids because he is waiver-exempt. And guy like Turgeon being on NHL roster. 13 forwards, 8 defencemen up.

On 1st day.

Then after 1-2 weeks this situation will turn totally different.

But our board proably freaks out, like on Nyquist case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->