khan talks training camp

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So he says our defense is set barring injuries.

Dekeyser-Green
Nemeth-Hronek
Ericsson-Daley
Bowey

If these guys make it through camp, that is a LOT of bodies to sort out in GR.

Cholowski, Kaski, Lashoff, Hicketts, McIlrath, Seider, Saarijarvi, Lindstrom

You would have to assume some roster moves happen if this comes to pass???

Reactions: Adityase

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Dekeyser-Green
Nemeth-Hronek
Ericsson-Daley
Bowey

I would imagine GR will welcome the depth as I'm sure they expect the parent club to go through injuries and probably some moves at some point, and will need to sit one of their 6 "vets" every game (which includes McIlrath and Lashoff). McIlrath was a healthy scratch a few times last season because of this.

It seems Yzerman liked carrying 8 D in Tampa, so it's possible he looks for one of the young guys to push Ericsson or Daley into the #7D spot, or keeps someone up as a spare part to sit in the press box and dress the odd game. From a development standpoint, about the only options for the latter there would be McIlrath or Hicketts. However, McIlrath is probably more valuable keeping the flies off guys like Veleno and Zadina in GR than sitting most games in the NHL. Obviously Lashoff is important for GR, and the rest of the guys either need to be playing regularly in GR or the NHL.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Dekeyser-Green
Nemeth-Hronek
Ericsson-Daley
Bowey

Yes, that's a lot of guys but Green, Ericsson, and Daley will almost certainly miss significant chunks of time with injuries. They're also all FAs after this season so they might all be gone by the deadline.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yes, that's a lot of guys but Green, Ericsson, and Daley will almost certainly miss significant chunks of time with injuries. They're also all FAs after this season so they might all be gone by the deadline.

Sure... but what do you do to start the year if there are no injuries?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rotate until a clear leader emerges. Until one of them takes out the other. Sickest 5 minute comedy set starts. There are a plethora of options.

I suspect someone would get moved if that happens. I don’t see all the 8 guys I listed going to GR and someone being scratched. I could see them moving out Lashoff or McIlrath, or Kaski/Saarijarvi/Lindstrom going back to Europe, or something like that.

Will be interesting to see how it’s handled.

Reactions: RedMenace

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would imagine GR will welcome the depth as I'm sure they expect the parent club to go through injuries and probably some moves at some point, and will need to sit one of their 6 "vets" every game (which includes McIlrath and Lashoff). McIlrath was a healthy scratch a few times last season because of this.

It seems Yzerman liked carrying 8 D in Tampa, so it's possible he looks for one of the young guys to push Ericsson or Daley into the #7D spot, or keeps someone up as a spare part to sit in the press box and dress the odd game. From a development standpoint, about the only options for the latter there would be McIlrath or Hicketts. However, McIlrath is probably more valuable keeping the flies off guys like Veleno and Zadina in GR than sitting most games in the NHL. Obviously Lashoff is important for GR, and the rest of the guys either need to be playing regularly in GR or the NHL.

I think carrying 8D is the most likely way of solving some of the congestion issues. Hicketts isn't really necessary in GR, and sitting in the press box in Detroit isn't exactly going to stunt his development at this point. Could also see Kaski staying up since he's older and played pro in Europe. Moving him in and out with the vets the Wings are trying not to break before they can trade could at least get him a look in the NHL before deciding to move on.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't like the idea of starting Svechnikov in GR if he has a good camp.

Svech has not played for a full season. He does not know if he is 100% ready to take full contact or how he is going to react out there. His timing will be off and he needs time to get that back. He is fortunate that he has this season to go back to GR to get him back (physically and mentally) ready for the hockey grind. This season will determine if Svech will be still in the Red Wings organization or not.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Svech has not played for a full season. He does not know if he is 100% ready to take full contact or how he is going to react out there. His timing will be off and he needs time to get that back. He is fortunate that he has this season to go back to GR to get him back (physically and mentally) ready for the hockey grind. This season will determine if Svech will be still in the Red Wings organization or not.

Camp is a month long. You can get your timing back in a month.

Frankly, I don't think GR is particularly good for Svechnikov.
He went backwards last time he was there. And then he came up and looked pretty good in Detroit. And then he went back down and didn't look very good.

The other thing is, there was talk that Svech might be ready back in March. The Red Wings decided to be cautious with him, wisely.
But he's been working out all summer and making great progress.

Besides, we could use his size/skill combination on our wings.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Players must earn their roster spot. Nobody will be handed a job.

Contracts, the salary cap, waiver status and experience will still be significant factors, however, in determining who makes the season-opening 23-man roster.

Well, which is it?

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

He went backwards last time he was there. And then he came up and looked pretty good in Detroit. And then he went back down and didn't look very good.

The other thing is, there was talk that Svech might be ready back in March. The Red Wings decided to be cautious with him, wisely.

An injury that Svech got last season takes time to rehab. He came close to playing in March here in GR, but he felt a pain by the ligament and that set him back and forced the Wings to shut Svech down for the season, thus the NHL granted Svech an extra season of coming to the AHL since he did not play at all last season. Svech being a 1st rounder, the Wings had to be cautious with him as they have a lot invested in him. Gives the Wings a full season to fully access if Svech is going to make it in Detroit or not. Now that Y is the GM of the Wings, he can get a better look and access and determine what Svech's future for 2020-21 in the organization.

Timing can be regained in training camp, but is Svech confident that he can go all out not only physically, but the key is mentally. Might take longer than a month on the mental side of it. Will see and I hope that I'm wrong and that Svech makes it to Detroit and play for the Wings for opening night, but I see him starting the season here in GR for at least 1-2 months mainly to see if he is fit and he can take the day to day grind of a hockey season.

Reactions: kliq

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

You obviously have never had a acl tear before. It can take as long as 24 months to get full rehabilitation back. Usually though it is somewhere in the 13-18 month range.

But remember when Kronner tore his the first year back was pretty bad and he didn't look like himself till his ACL +2 year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You obviously have never had a acl tear before. It can take as long as 24 months to get full rehabilitation back. Usually though it is somewhere in the 13-18 month range.

But remember when Kronner tore his the first year back was pretty bad and he didn't look like himself till his ACL +2 year.

No, I haven't. And that has nothing to do with it.

If Svech shows he's ready in camp, I want him to play. If he shows he's not ready, I want him to go to GR.

It's that simple.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
An injury that Svech got last season takes time to rehab. He came close to playing in March here in GR, but he felt a pain by the ligament and that set him back and forced the Wings to shut Svech down for the season, thus the NHL granted Svech an extra season of coming to the AHL since he did not play at all last season. Svech being a 1st rounder, the Wings had to be cautious with him as they have a lot invested in him. Gives the Wings a full season to fully access if Svech is going to make it in Detroit or not. Now that Y is the GM of the Wings, he can get a better look and access and determine what Svech's future for 2020-21 in the organization.

Timing can be regained in training camp, but is Svech confident that he can go all out not only physically, but the key is mentally. Might take longer than a month on the mental side of it. Will see and I hope that I'm wrong and that Svech makes it to Detroit and play for the Wings for opening night, but I see him starting the season here in GR for at least 1-2 months mainly to see if he is fit and he can take the day to day grind of a hockey season.

Look, all I'm saying is, let Svech prove it, one way or the other. Instead of penciling him in for Grand Rapids.

If he looks good in camp, better than the guys he's competing against, why send him down?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
my first thought about roster is choski needed the off season to digest everything as he became overwhelmed with all the coaching and level of competition causing him to lose his way second half . but the time off cleared his mind and he comes to camp and wins a job in the bigs . though maybe yzerman wants him starting in the A as theres no reason to rush . either way i say he re establishes himself as the top 4 dman he was looking like he'd become first half last season

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Let’s calm down. 24 months is absurd. One year is plenty of time. Considering he was skating before last season was even over, I expect him to be physically fit enough to go. Whether or not he has knocked the rust of his hockey game is a different discussion. But he should be pressing for a spot, and pressing hard, assuming he doesn’t run into more injury trouble.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Didn't Chelios come back from an knee surgery in like 90 days or something in his first or second year with us? It was something crazy that didn't seem humanly possible at the time. Still doesn't.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Didn't Chelios come back from an knee surgery in like 90 days or something in his first or second year with us? It was something crazy that didn't seem humanly possible at the time. Still doesn't.

Probably a scope which is just cleaning out fluid and removing excess scar tissue if so.

The biggest problem is with a acl is the mental aspect in addition to not being able to put any weight on the leg, you are incapable of putting any weight on your leg, if you try you just fall straight over unto the ground.

So there is a rust component, the mental component, the full rehab which can be between 12-24 to return to full efficientcy. You can't just say he has/had this so it takes x long. He has only been out for around 10 months so it is fairly early for him to be ready. He probably won't look back in form for a likely 5-6 months but the acl tear in football (usa) or hockey can take a bit. You can be recovered in around 12-13 months but to get full functionality can take up to 18-24 months. Luckily he didn't injure his mcl however. That takes longer but could be career ending.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad