Khabibulin

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Over romanticized by nostalgic Coyotes fans when his replacement (Burke) was better.
But a good 'tender and was glad to have him in the early years here, could have been a lot worse.

Also if we're gonna mention his mask, his nickname is also exceptional ;)

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Over romanticized by nostalgic Coyotes fans when his replacement (Burke) was better.
But a good 'tender and was glad to have him in the early years here, could have been a lot worse.

Also if we're gonna mention his mask, his nickname is also exceptional ;)

Over romanticized? Khabibulin was superior to Burke during the only season that matters: the playoffs.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Over romanticized?

Yes? Gonna go ahead and guess I know what's going on around here better. There's a bizarre infatuation with all things surrounding the first 2-3 seasons of the Coyotes among most fans around here when they were mostly overrated or underachieving. Everyone involved has their status inflated with most Coyotes fans for a variety of reasons.

Khabibulin was superior to Burke during the only season that matters: the playoffs.

This team didn't get out of the first round until 2012, I really don't put much weight on their underwhelming 1st rounds of the 90's.
He played great in a couple series and got blown out the building in a another. Not exactly where he built his playoff legacy.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Yes? Gonna go ahead and guess I know what's going on around here better. There's a bizarre infatuation with all things surrounding the first 2-3 seasons of the Coyotes among most fans around here when they were mostly overrated or underachieving. Everyone involved has their status inflated with most Coyotes fans for a variety of reasons.

This team didn't get out of the first round until 2012, I really don't put much weight on their underwhelming 1st rounds of the 90's.
He played great in a couple series and got blown out the building in a another. Not exactly where he built his playoff legacy.

Slight him all you'd like but his 3 first round exits with the Coyotes yielded:

2.60 GAA
91.84 SV%

So he certainly showed up. No romanticizing, but you are certainly a bitter Coyotes fan aiming your blame in the wrong place.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
At least Khabby's numbers indicate he gave his teams a chance. Burke? Not so much.

Two 5-game playoff series with 3 quality games each series? He gave his teams a chance. His averages look bad because individual blowout losses do more statistical damage than actual damage to the team.

6 GA in Game 1 vs. Colorado
.922 combined in the other 4 games

4 GA in Game 5 vs. San Jose
.921 combined in the other 4 games

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Two 5-game playoff series with 3 quality games each series? He gave his teams a chance. His averages look bad because individual blowout losses do more statistical damage than actual damage to the team.

6 GA in Game 1 vs. Colorado
.922 combined in the other 4 games

4 GA in Game 5 vs. San Jose
.921 combined in the other 4 games

"You are what your record says you are." -Bill Parcells

Bend and twist Burke's numbers all you'd like. Still doesn't change his "stats."

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
The sample size for Sean Burke is ten games of course it's a marginal difference. You're being pedantic.

Minutes played for the Coyotes in the playoffs:

Khabibulin: 1,060
Burke: 594

(mod)

Just say you don't like Khabibulin and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

streitz

Jul 22, 2018

(mod)

i liked
Khabibulin

on the Jets, but why are you so aggressive when posting about certain players? It's weird lol.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
i liked
Khabibulin

on the Jets, but why are you so aggressive when posting about certain players? It's weird lol.

Aggressive? Talk to Ferris. I'm done with this. You have Gretzky 3rd all time. You don't get to determine "weird" LOL

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

(mod)

What am I talking about? I'm talking about a ten game sample size. Was that not clear when I said "ten game sample size?"

What's the point of personally attacking me?

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
He refused the call ups to NT because Tikhonov took his OG gold medal.
Yeah I know, but he was on the team for the video game, I believe. Although now that I think about it, I may have had to add him to the team manually.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Can anyone shed light on how he was perceived as a prospect, and early on his in career in Winnipeg? Was he highly touted before coming to North America? In all honestly, I really only remember having formed an opinion of Khabibulin by the time of his hold-out and the potential competition with Burke.

He really came out of nowhere, and had a stellar 1995-96 season for the Jets, and really played well against the Red Wings in the playoffs.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad