Key Arena renovations thread

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
A thread to track progress of the upgrade of the Key Arena. I still think they could have gotten it done by the start of 20-21 season but the NHL being the NHL... Anyways, lets discuss how the renovations are going here. I live and work walking distance of Key Arena and will be updating with pics of the construction once they get shovels in the ground.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Comment in my inbox from the Oak View Group regarding any changes to the timeline.

"We’re moving forward as we have been. In the coming weeks, we will take a close look at whether this decision will allow us to be more flexible around other major projects impacting the neighborhood, like the SR 99 Tunnel transition. In the meantime, pre-construction work will continue as detailed in the weekly construction notices..."

Was told they will be ready to welcome the Seattle Storm back for their 2021 season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Comment in my inbox from the Oak View Group regarding any changes to the timeline.

"We’re moving forward as we have been. In the coming weeks, we will take a close look at whether this decision will allow us to be more flexible around other major projects impacting the neighborhood, like the SR 99 Tunnel transition. In the meantime, pre-construction work will continue as detailed in the weekly construction notices..."

Was told they will be ready to welcome the Seattle Storm back for their 2021 season.

Not too surprising that they'll slow things down with construction the moment the delay in team start was decided.

Lords of Scythia

Dec 4, 2018
The guy on 710 AM in Seattle last night said if they'd been quicker with the remodel, we could've got a team in '20.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The guy on 710 AM in Seattle last night said if they'd been quicker with the remodel, we could've got a team in '20.
The Seattle city council kind of played this one in a weird way. They needed the team to be official prior to allowing Oak View to start demo/construction. The result is that they got the team announced quicker, but the side effect was that it likely pushed the team's debut back a year due to a compressed work schedule if they wanted to hit the ice for 2020.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Probably a good idea. How awful would it be to have an inaugural season canceled due to a lockout - or even have it be a shortened season? Financially it would be a disaster, and just not a good way to start a franchise.

Reactions: periferal

Lords of Scythia

Dec 4, 2018
Nobody mentioned the lockout on the radio last night, but there's obvious reasons for that. Ah, subtext! They just said the league wanted the first season to be "just right" for the Seattle Kraken (my choice).

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Probably a good idea. How awful would it be to have an inaugural season canceled due to a lockout - or even have it be a shortened season? Financially it would be a disaster, and just not a good way to start a franchise.

Ya that’s not something that crossed my mind, but definitely would make sense. You get all this hype, and then piss everyone off and alienate the fans before it gets going

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Any predictions for new naming rights or if keybank arena might be renamed. Amazon Arena or Microsoft Center???

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
Any predictions for new naming rights or if keybank arena might be renamed. Amazon Arena or Microsoft Center???

The current naming rights have been vacant for a while they just never removed the signing for Key Arena. In all the current pictures it's shown as Seattle Center Arena and I'd expect the naming rights to be sold at or shortly after completion.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think we're a while off from a naming rights deal.

It makes a lot of sense for OVG (I think the rights are OVG's to sell) to wait it out since the naming rights are likely worth more as the chance of an NBA team making the facility its home increases.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
The current naming rights have been vacant for a while they just never removed the signing for Key Arena. In all the current pictures it's shown as Seattle Center Arena and I'd expect the naming rights to be sold at or shortly after completion.
Tech comoanies, bigger ones, are never that keen on sports stadium naming rights. Its probably gonna be a bank or something. Maybe an airline.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Tech comoanies, bigger ones, are never that keen on sports stadium naming rights. Its probably gonna be a bank or something. Maybe an airline.
Alaska Airlines is the first to come to mind. They seem to like attaching onto a lot of local sports. (I'm pretty sure Alaska owns the rights to everything UW right now.)

However, it seems like a good opportunity for a local company to endear itself to the community, and since community involvement seems a lot more important in Seattle than some/most other places, I wouldn't put it past some local company to jump on it. Alaska and Delta have their little Battle of Seattle continuing, so I'd almost bet on one of those if they sold the rights today.

Last edited:
Reactions: periferal
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
No issues with timetable being pushed back. Have some concerts, WNBA etc to work out the kinks and traffic mitigation efforts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad