Sportsnet Kevin Stevens fights back against addiction

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
That was tough to read for sure. I hope he stays on track, he seems like a real good guy who just had the worst luck with that injury.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Chris Nilan interviews Kevin

Stevens: Fighting Addiction
Nilan asks what I think is an excellent question midway through — on the issue of retirement.

For those players that have the propensity for addictive behavior retirement has to be a bear. You’re a professional athlete, living your life doing what many only dream of, then as a relatively young man boom —- it’s over.

I share the challenges both of these guys are burdened with. Thankfully my active days are far behind me. My kids have never seen me drink and their lives (and mine and my wife) are far the better for it.

I say all that because I’m an average Joe — never been a star. That said I can imagine the charge playing pro hockey must give. Electric —- it’s got to be a 1000 volt charge. There are others on this Board who know what I mean.

When that ends..... if you are an addictive personality — how to you fill that awesome awesome void?

Imagine a rock star on the stage with thousands of fans screaming over your every move. When the lights go on and the show ends, if you’re an addictive type..... what do you do to come down? Do you even try?

Good luck to both Stevens and Nilan in continuing their day by day sobriety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad