Kevin Stenlund

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Before this season I would have said maybe as a bottom six grinder.

But I think he's played pretty well this year in both the minors and NHL level. I think he has a future in the NHL, just not sure if that's in a bottom 6 role or if he can put together enough offense to be in the top 6.

He's very good at protecting the puck and shooting the puck. Average vision and defensive play. Big body, and skates OK for his size.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
He's a second round pick from five years ago so he shouldn't be just a shot in the dark. Goodness do the Blue Jackets have trouble drafting top line players.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He's a second round pick from five years ago so he shouldn't be just a shot in the dark. Goodness do the Blue Jackets have trouble drafting top line players.
What? 2nd round picks do not equal top line players. Top 5 picks are expected to be top line players, beyond that it becomes much less predictable. Hell, even top 5 any more is unpredictable. A 2nd round pick that plays in the NHL and contributes is a nice benefit but the odds still remain very low they become top line players outside the 1st round. Expect middle 6 and at least 3 years of development time. Stenlund is right there. He's more likely top 9 but has developed well thus far.

Reactions: Viqsi

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
What? 2nd round picks do not equal top line players. Top 5 picks are expected to be top line players, beyond that it becomes much less predictable. Hell, even top 5 any more is unpredictable. A 2nd round pick that plays in the NHL and contributes is a nice benefit but the odds still remain very low they become top line players outside the 1st round. Expect middle 6 and at least 3 years of development time. Stenlund is right there. He's more likely top 9 but has developed well thus far.
Top 6 players come from somewhere. A second round pick should be closer to a top 6 than just another guy skating around.

Reactions: Cowumbus

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Berglund isn't really a good comparison. he is still indecisive and sometime a defensive liability but he definitely got some skill. on a full nhl team I'd see him on the 4th line just getting in for PP. kinda like milano and the start of the season but like milano they both need good coaching to get a more complete game.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Top 6 players come from somewhere. A second round pick should be closer to a top 6 than just another guy skating around.
For the record, outside of the first round of the 2015 draft there are 3, maybe 4, players that would likely be considered top 6 talent. Sebastian Aho (2nd round), Anthony Cirelli (3rd) and maybe Roope Hintz (2nd - although only 90 NHL game) and/or Dominik Simon (5th). I guess one may argue Conor Garlard (5th, 88 games with 27 goals). To me, that's being generous and trying to find a player that is roughly a 40 or 40+ pt player.

My point is, they do come from somewhere but there is a serious drop off from the top of the draft and development takes much longer and is a greater risk outside the 1st round - especially outside the top 5 or so picks, in almost every draft.

Reactions: Hello Johnny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad