Value of: Kevin Shattenkirk

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
I was one who was really excited we added him in the summer. Strong offensive dman who can qb a power play really well.

He has had just the worst luck in New York and I think its time to move on. Trading for trouba’s rfa rights would be a goood start. Get rid of Pionk this draft and spend shattenkirk’s money and a little more on
Trouba.

Trouba, Deangelo, (fox), gilmour. Better right side.

Shattenkirk is still very servicable, but just not for the Rangers anymore, I think he is still worth at least a 2nd but what are everyone elses opinion?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Never wanted any part of the guy. This was OJ trying to squeeze his hand into the glove all along. It was never a fit.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I was one who was really excited we added him in the summer. Strong offensive dman who can qb a power play really well.

He has had just the worst luck in New York and I think its time to move on. Trading for trouba’s rfa rights would be a goood start. Get rid of Pionk this draft and spend shattenkirk’s money and a little more on
Trouba.

Shattenkirk is still very servicable, but just not for the Rangers anymore, I think he is still worth at least a 2nd but what are everyone elses opinion?

Shattenkirk has a 10 team NMC.

That said, it's interesting for a budget team to think through Shattenkirk as a 50% retained RH shot on the blueline as a pretty good asset. He's been more unlucky than bad over the last two years, and needs a fresh start.

I'm not sure Trouba's on the table here, though I can see Winnipeg interested, alongside a few other teams that need to add some push from the back.

Of note - his salary for 2020-2021 is only $2m. He's owed a $2m signing bonus on 7/1/20. He's got the full $6m in salary for 19-20 though.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
The only way he's traded is if a team really gives a great offer, and that would be unusual given his injuries and performance....I can't see any scenario in which Peg trades for Shatty, especially for Trouba.

On the other hand, there's no reason to unload Shattenkirk. We're not contending next year, and he's a 30 year old with two more years on the contract. What I'm saying is it really doesn't hurt to keep him, see if he bounces back next year, and then entertain a potential trade at the deadline before he gets UFA when his cap hit doesn't matter.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The only way he's traded is if a team really gives a great offer, and that would be unusual given his injuries and performance....I can't see any scenario in which Peg trades for Shatty, especially for Trouba.

On the other hand, there's no reason to unload Shattenkirk. We're not contending next year, and he's a 30 year old with two more years on the contract. What I'm saying is it really doesn't hurt to keep him, see if he bounces back next year, and then entertain a potential trade at the deadline before he gets UFA when his cap hit doesn't matter.
I don't think the OP was suggesting that we use Shatty as a piece to grab Trouba. I think the poster meant separate transactions. I can't see the Jets wanting Shatty cap, even without giving us an asset.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Trouba.

So he is worth a 2nd and he is also worth rights to Trouba...
Trouba's worth = 2nd

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
So he is worth a 2nd and he is also worth rights to Trouba...
Trouba's worth = 2nd

The OP wasn't suggesting a trade of Shatty for Trouba's rights. He was suggesting trading Shatty separately and using that cap savings to pay Trouba.

That said, I think giving up assets for Trouba is a mistake for the Rangers. He's played more than 65 games/season twice in 6 seasons. It ain't gonna get any better as he gets older. And he's going to want to get PAID when he hits UFA. Very good player, but no thanks.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I can't really see that. Shatty has an extra year while Callahan will be a UFA. They don't even need Shatty.
Not that it will happen but we need to move out D contracts and Longer commitments which makes this work. TB fans may disagree but they’re RD is Foote/Cernak and ?. Shatty gives them a RD PP guy while after some retention freeing up +/- 2 mil for their cap woes.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Can he still move the puck the way he used to? And has he drastically slowed down at all? I don’t watch like any ranger games.

Might have some interest from Pitt, I know we tried to get him a couple years ago before the Caps stole him.

You’d likely have to take Maatta to make the money work.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Can he still move the puck the way he used to? And has he drastically slowed down at all? I don’t watch like any ranger games.

Might have some interest from Pitt, I know we tried to get him a couple years ago before the Caps stole him.

You’d likely have to take Maatta to make the money work.

He's never been the fastest, but he's slow down after injury. He didn't look comfortable skating during the first half of the season. Maata's contract is too long for us to take him. I'd rather pay Shatty 2 million more and get out of that contract earlier.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->