Injury Report: Kevin Shattenkirk Meniscus Tear. Out indefinitely.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Hope this explains his play because he has sucked.

Also hope this erases any delusion that this team was winning something this year.

Keep stacking the deck for the rebuild. Good draft upcoming.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I will still miss playoffs if we can`t achieve it based on injuries, but it looks difficult now with Kevin out too waiting for surgery.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The Rangers doctors know a lot more than you do regarding his injury. He thought it might be able to heal itself through treatment.

A meniscus is never going to heal itself, but it is something that can be managed. I’ve had a partial tear in my left knee for five years, and I’ve been able to play twice a week since it happened.

Now, Shattenkirk obviously plays far more games at far higher a level than I have or ever will, but it’s not inconceivable that he thought he could last until the offseason.

Personally, I feel the instability in my knee, but I brace it each game and really don’t feel any pain during physical activity. However, I can have pain the following day if I overuse it. I think it’s due to the extra strain put on my connective tissue because of the instability in the knee. It usually manifests as intense pain 3-4 inches above my kneecap, but is gone the next day.

I guess my point is that I can see why he thought he could play through it. I can’t imagine playing at such a high level so often with the injury, but I don’t have access to the level of medical care and therapy he does.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So there is no specific date that this happened, to anyone's knowledge?

"Hello Kevin, the surgery was a complete success. We're going to prescribe you a short-term supply of turmeric and dried seahorses for the pain".
Hey, PEOPLE say... turmeric is a terrific antioxidant. And Oprah has been on sea horses for YEARS.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
When did the injury occur? I don't recall anything being mentioned about him.

I can speak from personal experience here. Meniscus tears are very hard to pinpoint when they’ve happened. They can happen very gradually due to wear and tear.

Personally, I think mine happened during a warm up where I caught a rut in the ice and slightly tweaked my knee. It felt weird for a few minutes, then went away. I played the entire game and didn’t feel a thing.

Then, almost a week later, while having some “fun” with my wife, I start to feel some pain above the knee. There wasn’t some catastrophic moment when I knew something was seriously wrong.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
And just one more thing and then I’ll leave it be, but I feel some posters might not understand. A meniscus isn’t something that heals itself. Your meniscus is cartilage. It doesn’t regenerate. The surgery they perform cuts the torn portion out so the tear doesn’t get any bigger. They also remove any scar tissue or debris to try and restore stability to the knee. That knee will never be the same. Unless, of course, he gets a donor meniscus (from a deceased person), in which case the recovery period is far longer. I think Carson Palmer had the meniscus replacement surgery a few years ago.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
And just one more thing and then I’ll leave it be, but I feel some posters might not understand. A meniscus isn’t something that heals itself. Your meniscus is cartilage. It doesn’t regenerate. The surgery they perform cuts the torn portion out so the tear doesn’t get any bigger. They also remove any scar tissue or debris to try and restore stability to the knee. That knee will never be the same. Unless, of course, he gets a donor meniscus (from a deceased person), in which case the recovery period is far longer. I think Carson Palmer had the meniscus replacement surgery a few years ago.

Maybe we can kill off Vesey.

Reactions: SkinneeJ

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
A meniscus is never going to heal itself, but it is something that can be managed. I’ve had a partial tear in my left knee for five years, and I’ve been able to play twice a week since it happened.

Now, Shattenkirk obviously plays far more games at far higher a level than I have or ever will, but it’s not inconceivable that he thought he could last until the offseason.

Personally, I feel the instability in my knee, but I brace it each game and really don’t feel any pain during physical activity. However, I can have pain the following day if I overuse it. I think it’s due to the extra strain put on my connective tissue because of the instability in the knee. It usually manifests as intense pain 3-4 inches above my kneecap, but is gone the next day.

I guess my point is that I can see why he thought he could play through it. I can’t imagine playing at such a high level so often with the injury, but I don’t have access to the level of medical care and therapy he does.
I have a similar issue in my right knee. As long as I brace it and don't do anything extreme in the game I'm fine...eventually I'll need to be scoped though.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
My wife had two meniscus issues, not once did the doctor indicate that they can heal on their own.
Probably something more like, your meniscus is starting to tear. You can have surgery or you can get a steroid injection and tough it out.

Shattenkirk being a proud athlete probably wanted to play through it if he could. Rangers organization probably encouraged this because they wanted to try out their new toy (same thing they did when they swept Boogaards failed drug tests and addiction problems under the rug).

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I have a miniscus tear in my left knee dating back to a game ten years ago in which a forward fell on my leg during a scrum in front. Was out six weeks with a sprained MCL but never did opt for surgery to fix/remove the loose cartilage. Get an odd sensation on rainy days and have to warm up extra carefully on leg day.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Why is it so hard to understand that it's kind of totally irresponsible of the Rangers to allow an employee play through an injury that had the potential to hit this point way earlier?

Yeah, he might have made it through the whole season just fine, but it was a ticking time bomb. Instead of being reactive, KS22 and the Rangers could have been proactive here.

Making medical decisions based on a player "wanting to play" is the dumbest thing ever. Should never enter the conversation.

Really? Of course the medical staff cleared Shattenkirk to play--players (or coaches) don't get to make that final decision. There are many injuries that players can play through--if they can handle the pain. Something probably changed and the diagnosis changed with it.
nevesis is right. This is hockey. Players get dinged up and play through i. It got worse. Guess he can't take that vacation now--he'll be rehabbing pretty soon.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
No one should be allowed to forget that he publicly called out shattenkirk a couple weeks ago

Feel free to remind me--I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on a hockey board: I just go by the information available. Shattenkirk has been very vocal about the need for him to play better. He wasn't making any excuses, why should anyone doubt his words?

None of us knew the details. What's the problem with voicing an opinion about what we see and know?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Feel free to remind me--I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on a hockey board: I just go by the information available. Shattenkirk has been very vocal about the need for him to play better. He wasn't making any excuses, why should anyone doubt his words?

None of us knew the details. What's the problem with voicing an opinion about what we see and know?
AV knew all the details.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
AV knew all the details.

Of course he did. The "we" I was referring to are (some of) the posters who comment without knowing any of the details the organization knows--and did not release.

AV is not going to force a player out of the lineup who says he can play AND is medically cleared. Something changed--the injury didn't respond and now Shattenkirk is going to have surgery.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Of course he did. The "we" I was referring to are (some of) the posters who comment without knowing any of the details the organization knows--and did not release.

AV is not going to force a player out of the lineup who says he can play AND is medically cleared. Something changed--the injury didn't respond and now Shattenkirk is going to have surgery.
AV shouldn’t have called out a player publicly that he knew was playing through a meniscus tear

Reactions: Ori

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Here's some medical info about the miniscus--sometimes it can heal on it's own (depending on the location of the tear). As always the devil is in the details.

The location (zone) of the tear is one of the most important things that helps determine treatment.
  • Tears at the outer edge of the meniscus (red zone) tend to heal well because there is good blood supply. Minor tears may heal on their own with a brace and a period of rest. If they do not heal or if repair is deemed necessary, the tear can be sewn together. This repair is usually successful in the red zone.
  • The inner two-thirds (white zone) of the meniscus does not have a good blood supply, so it does not heal well either on its own or after repair. If torn pieces float into the joint space, which may result in a "locked" knee or cause other symptoms, the torn portion is removed (partial meniscectomy) and the edges of the remaining meniscus are shaved to make the meniscus smooth.
Meniscus Tear-Treatment Overview

This has a pretty picture of a knee and the location(s)

Torn meniscus - Symptoms and causes

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
AV shouldn’t have called out a player publicly that he knew was playing through a meniscus tear

Shattenkirk was at least as critical of his own play--what AV supposed to do? Make excuses? Tell everyone that he injured, even though he's cleared to play? Take a look at Uncle Larry's comments about it--he's right. Journalists asked AV about Shattenkirk's play and he responded with a critique of of his recent play, he's not authorized to discuss someone's medical condition, that comes from the front office.

But go ahead and blame AV. It's all his fault. :boredom:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad