Injury Report: Kevin Shattenkirk Meniscus Tear. Out indefinitely.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His game looked off for months. I suggested he take a week off, and go on vacation. It seems like he was playing injured, which is not surprising, considering his play.

Even the areas of the game he's really good at he's been bad at of late.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist but I see the positive in this.

We've all said that Shatty hasn't been that good this season for us. THIS explains a lot of why that has been the case.

He is getting surgery and probably will be back in time for the stretch run and the playoffs, if we make it. I can't see this as a reason to sell at this point.

The next stretch of games on the road will be a good indicator to whether we can hold on to a wildcard spot or not.

I'm not hitting the panic button just yet. I'm hoping ADA proves himself and can stick up here.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Sell, sell sell!! and by the love of god, release AV contract. :)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Tried to play through it hoping it would heal itself and it didn't ... surgery it is.

Happens all over professional sports all the time. Nothin fishy about it.
Not fishy, just stupid.

I said the same thing about Callahan when he played with a dislocated (?) shoulder a few years back. No need to force yourself to play with an injury in October.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
b86774e3add261f7f99907a14b00d5a662dc981ce0f2199ef42e8abab6aa76b3.jpg

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist but I see the positive in this.

We've all said that Shatty hasn't been that good this season for us. THIS explains a lot of why that has been the case.

He is getting surgery and probably will be back in time for the stretch run and the playoffs, if we make it. I can't see this as a reason to sell at this point.

The next stretch of games on the road will be a good indicator to whether we can hold on to a wildcard spot or not.

I'm not hitting the panic button just yet. I'm hoping ADA proves himself and can stick up here.
I came here to post basically the exact same thing
And earlier on Shatty was incredible, he was top 3 in the NHL for defenseman scoring & had a PPG like 18 games into the season. So this is pretty reassuring that he hasn’t fell off a cliff. And I’m excited to see ADA who I don’t think should’ve been sent down in the first place. He makes our D so much more agile and he plays with an edge as well

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Coach and player both publicly say it’s an injury that can actually heal even while playing thru it but sometimes it doesn’t and in this case it didn’t and the timing was right to fix it now.

Clear as day he went from putting points up every night the first 2 months of the season to doing absolutely nothing. This is good news means there’s a reason for him falling off a cliff these past 2 months.

Now if this team stays in it the next month and a half they aren’t going to sell. They’re going to look at kreider and shattenkirk maybe Andersson even coming in as additions.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I came here to post basically the exact same thing
And earlier on Shatty was incredible, he was top 3 in the NHL for defenseman scoring & had a PPG like 18 games into the season. So this is pretty reassuring that he hasn’t fell off a cliff. And I’m excited to see ADA who I don’t think should’ve been sent down in the first place. He makes our D so much more agile and he plays with an edge as well
Plus, Shatty said that he had a cortisone shot in the beginning of the season and that it started to wear off at around 8-10 weeks later.

That coincides exactly with when his play started to take a dip.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The only thing I could think of when I heard this is he's been hurt for a while. It would explain his tentative play in all areas of his ice--the offense drying up, his looking to avoid getting hit, his brutal defensive play.

Going forward--it gives us a chance to re-evaluate DeAngelo...though personally I think the Rangers should bring up Graves. It puts more pressure on our other big name players to step up....and it also makes it more likely that we don't make the playoffs and more likely we're a seller at the deadline.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The only thing I could think of when I heard this is he's been hurt for a while. It would explain his tentative play in all areas of his ice--the offense drying up, his looking to avoid getting hit, his brutal defensive play.

Going forward--it gives us a chance to re-evaluate DeAngelo...though personally I think the Rangers should bring up Graves. It puts more pressure on our other big name players to step up....and it also makes it more likely that we don't make the playoffs and more likely we're a seller at the deadline.
Without Shattenkirk our only right handed defenseman would be Kampfer
It needs to be ADA

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

With Kreider + Shattenkirk out indefinitely, McDonagh and Zibanejad both banged up, I can't imagine a scenario anymore where this team doesn't sell a few assets at the deadline. It may not be the total house clearing some people expect but its almost assured that some of our guys will be gone.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
NYR were way overdue for a season with an abundance of overlapping injuries to key guys; look at the seasons that Wings and Flyers endured over the last few years, with numerous top 10 players out at once.
Need the emerging core guys (Miller, Zib, Vesey, Buch) and the depth guys (Fast, Grabner, Carey, Holland) and the kids (Lettieri, DAngelo, Nieves, ...) to all do their part waiting for Hayes, Staal, Kreids, Shatt to get back

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well folks we’re going to find out what we’ve got in the next 12 games. The first 10 of which are all playoff teams except for Anaheim on the road

The two following that are against minny in minny very tough building to win and then the islanders at Barclays they’ve had our number.

So the next 12 games are going to be very telling as to who we are. Do we sink or swim? If we sink we’ll know what needs to be done come the deadline.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Addition by subtraction at the moment.

1pt and -8 his last 10 games.

Points don't tell the story but he hasn't been wowing with the eye test either. A guy like Kevin needs to be contributing offensively to be useful. He hasn't been. Hopefully the nagging injury was the cause of his recent slumping but either way I don't feel this will really have a negative effect on the current effort/talent/compete level of this team (which may or may not be a good thing.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->