Kevin Poulin

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well hijack was the easiest term I thought of bc a lot of times on here people come in & start talking about the player they wanna reference. That's cool, but do it in a thread for them, ya know? He actually has been beast-like in the 3 games he's played. 48 saves against the nhls top team isn't something to shrug off...but yes, its incredibly early too.

Goaltenders love high shot games. It gets them in the grove. Also take in count majority of shots are straight at chest shots. Not for one NHL team, but throughout the sport of hockey.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've watched the Isles vs. Oilers game when he played for Lawson, his strength was puck handling and lateral movement, not his weakness.

Again, completely disagree. His strengths are reflexes and positioning. When he played against the Avs he didn't touch the puck so I can't comment on his stick handling.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
He is 'meh' imo.

Reimer is a much better prospect.

I've been following Reimer since he was 15. It was obvious back then that he had pro potential to go along with a level of maturity and professionalism beyond what anyone would expect out of a kid his age. I've been a huge supporter of his and it's awesome to see him continue to develop and now deliver the goods in the NHL.

I am just about his biggest fan, and I would never put a cap on his potential.

Without taking anything away from James, it's really hard to imagine Poulin having a lower ceiling. Poulin is an absolute stud of an athlete and went from average QMJHL'er to the best goalie in the CHL to a jaw-dropping standout in training camp this year, to an AHL star, all in two years.

There aren't many goalie prospects on the globe I'd have ahead of Poulin. Though James Reimer isn't far behind (on my admittedly biased list).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Cmon S E P H, Poulin is the goods. I know HF makes a big deal about alot of players but this kid is for real. The best part is that he is way more mature than anyone would have thought. On top of all that he is playing on a very young Islander team and keeping them in games. Take a look at the Colorado and Vancouver games and let me know.

I'm not discrediting him, just making sure he doesn't get hyped out of control. I said above that he's going to be pretty good, but nothing all-star good.

Trust me positioning has everything to do with it against Van, Col and definitely has NHL level on that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've been following Reimer since he was 15. It was obvious back then that he had pro potential to go along with a level of maturity and professionalism beyond what anyone would expect out of a kid his age. I've been a huge supporter of his and it's awesome to see him continue to develop and now deliver the goods in the NHL.

I am just about his biggest fan, and I would never put a cap on his potential.

Without taking anything away from James, it's really hard to imagine Poulin having a lower ceiling. Poulin is an absolute stud of an athlete and went from average QMJHL'er to the best goalie in the CHL to a jaw-dropping standout in training camp this year, to an AHL star, all in two years.

There aren't many goalie prospects on the globe I'd have ahead of Poulin. Though James Reimer isn't far behind (on my admittedly biased list).

I like goalers that come out of nowhere like Poulin, but I see Reimer being much better solid consistently than Poulin who I see more of a streaker.

OT: Seems you know about goaltending and want to know what you thought about Tokarski before his WJC play.

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
it's to early to say anything decisively at this point. To the OP's credit, I believe the point was to bring to attention the start that poulin's been having, and not appointing him to be the next patrick roy. Poulin's got the tools to be great, its up to him tho to become great. Hopefully, for our fanbase, he realizes his potential

BlackAces*

I dont know if he ever fell off but this kid is awesome. It finally feels good to see the Isles prospects come to life. Isles 2008 draft was good one. Keep it coming with Petrov next season!

The Islanders' prospect pool looks deep.I mean, cripes, it should be, but it does.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
it's to early to say anything decisively at this point. To the OP's credit, I believe the point was to bring to attention the start that poulin's been having, and not appointing him to be the next patrick roy. Poulin's got the tools to be great, its up to him tho to become great. Hopefully, for our fanbase, he realizes his potential

Young goalies need development time in the AHL.

Mason and Price came into the NHL really young, 1st year out of Junior and they were in the NHL. Fast forward a couple of years later and they were struggling. Mason is still trying to find his game. Goalies need to go through the ups and downs of the AHL to be ready mentally for the NHL. Things went too well for Mason his 1st year, with 10 S/O. Hasn't come close to his rookie numbers. Price had his struggles last season too.

Always good for a goalie to hone his skills in the AHL. Schneider spent 3 years in the AHL, Rask 2 years, Bernier 2 years. No need to rush young goalies. Poulin needs to spend more time in the AHL. Isles aren't going anywhere soon, so give the kid the time he needs.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Goaltenders love high shot games. It gets them in the grove. Also take in count majority of shots are straight at chest shots. Not for one NHL team, but throughout the sport of hockey.

Don't need to tell me what goalies like. I've played goal for the past 19 years, I've reffed hockey for the past 8 & coached for 6 years. I also know the kid has shown his reflexes to be quite above average, so I'm gonna have to disagree there. Also, his lateral movement, esp tonite, was very quick & efficient. Kept himself big while being compact.
Yes, its easier when u have a lot of shots bc you stay in the game & don't lose focus, but its also easier to have one squeak through or become tired or one of the 51 shots be just an absolute snipe...happens to us all. In the last decade or so, isles have had endless goalies come through the crease at nvmc...and they all seemed prone to letting in weak goals. Poulin has a long way to go, but what's the need to come crap on everyones optimism? Isles fans don't have to deal with the macdonalds & dubies of the world in the future & that's a good thing. Your opinion may be his fundamentals aren't that good, but doesn't mean you're right. From my own experience of watching film, playing, coaching...I think this kid has more potential than a 1B type goalie. My own opinion is he could become a bigtime stud. The biggest thing a goalie needs is confidence, & this kids got it. Time will tell just how good he'll become.

DaMick

at least we got D
Dec 10, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
Poulin is an absolute stud of an athlete and went from average QMJHL'er to the best goalie in the CHL to a jaw-dropping standout in training camp this year, to an AHL star, all in two years.

I've watching Bridgeport games last few years ...and i'd agree with you ...Poulin looks like the real deal.

That meaning...a true NHL goalie in the making.
I'm not a fan club type guy based on my hockey background...but this kid looks very solid.

He reminds me of Felix Potvin ..when he first came up.

I'm not discrediting him, just making sure he doesn't get hyped out of control. I said above that he's going to be pretty good, but nothing all-star good.

Trust me positioning has everything to do with it against Van, Col and definitely has NHL level on that

Nothing wrong in having a different opinion on anyone here on HF...where prospects mean more than NHL players.

Poulin still needs a bit more polish & a bit more work from what i've seen this year...but on a team with very little true NHL talent on the blueline...even you would have to admit hes done a nice job so far.

Future All star? Nah lets not jump ahead of ourselves...
Lets just hope he stays healthy and gives us a chance to win every night.

Thats all i & any Isles fan should ask for..

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
But...but...what about The Rick?!?! :( ;)

I'm cautiously optimistic on Poulin. He's been real good and he looks like the real deal out there, but yes, the Isles cannot rush him. Let him wreak havoc in the AHL for at least a season or two. Isles fans remember a guy by the name of Eric Fichaud who came up through the QMJHL and was thought to be one of the top goalie prospects in the mid-90's. We all know what happened.

islandersfan1677

Jan 7, 2011
jungleland

I'm cautiously optimistic on Poulin. He's been real good and he looks like the real deal out there, but yes, the Isles cannot rush him. Let him wreak havoc in the AHL for at least a season or two. Isles fans remember a guy by the name of Eric Fichaud who came up through the QMJHL and was thought to be one of the top goalie prospects in the mid-90's. We all know what happened.
dippy can get lost in the long island for all i care

agreed wit everything you say

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

I still remember Milbury proudly proclaiming that he was going to throw Fichaud to the wolves.... what an ******* :facepalm:

4Isles4*

your correct but i was there live and he made some pretty great saves, especially at the end of the game....when you watch him you can see the potential....the thing that most impressed me was his poise....he never looked out of place...not once....and for so few starts in the pros(incuding AHL) thats pretty impressive.....I guess having Roy as your coach in Juniors in a big plus....Someone taught this kid really good or hes jusy naturally gifted.....Give him some more time in the A for another year or 2 and when Dp finally bows out.....give KP the NET!!!

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
your correct but i was there live and he made some pretty great saves, especially at the end of the game....when you watch him you can see the potential....the thing that most impressed me was his poise....he never looked out of place...not once....and for so few starts in the pros(incuding AHL) thats pretty impressive.....I guess having Roy as your coach in Juniors in a big plus....Someone taught this kid really good or hes jusy naturally gifted.....Give him some more time in the A for another year or 2 and when Dp finally bows out.....give KP the NET!!!

not for nothing but as a NYI fan this Poulin kid looks great! talk about a place not to hone your craft though. Protect him in the A sooner than later please....

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009

Roy didn't coach him, just said that he thought he was the best in the league.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Thanks uncle Mick...

Something interesting I heard on sports radio today. Jason York was talking about how there is little worry in "ruining" Robin Lehner (sp) bu bringing him up to play for the Sens at such a young age.

York was saying that had the Sens kept RL out of training camp, that expectations would have been different, since it was the start of the season, and the Sens hadn't yet become the, ahem Sens we currently see.

York was questioned as to whether or not RL would be better off in the AHL right now, and York was adamant that the NHL was the best place for RL to be, in spite of the Sens' struggles. He pointed out that RL could always go back down to Bingo once the playoffs started.

York further pointed out that because the season is effectively over for the Sens, and the damage has already been done, no one is going to blame the goalie- nor could they possibly at this juncture- so its actually a really good time for a young goalie to get experience in the best league in the world.

I am pointing this out because of the similar poor season (!) the Isles are having, and those who feel as though Kevin Poulin should be in the AHL.
As reported by Botta, he'll likely be handled with kid gloves anyway- and perhaps this is why HF isn't alight with calls of ruining KP tonight. Whatever.

IMO he was wrongly pulled after a Hamonic giveaway, and another breakdown in our transition game (man, they couldn't get pucks deep tonight for some reason- just brutal). Lawson was a joke and that's why we lost. Bad move by crapuano...

HemskyToHall*

playing in the nhl at a young age doesn't automatically assume success, check kari ramo and where he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->