Kevin Poulin For Starter Against Vancouver

don28

Postal Gunslinger
Dec 31, 2009
Lebanon, TN
This is my first post on the Islanders Forum. Long time lurker, been a fan since the mid 70's when I was born and lived in NJ. Grew up in South Florida, now live in Nashville, TN. But I still love the Islanders, and the Predators for the Western Conference.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else was thinking that the Isles should start Poulin Tuesday night against the Canucks. Nabokov has started all but one of the 8 games played so far. At his age, he can't play 65-70 games and be worth anything at the end of the season.

Poulin held his own against the Blackhawks, and Poulin starting might also send a wake-up call (much needed) to the defense to pay attention to detail so as to not embarrass Poulin and themselves with their lackadaisical play that they've shown lately.

Frankly, Poulin has been in the minors long enough as I see it. It's time to find out if he can either sink or swim in the NHL. Maybe he's a keeper; maybe he's not. But I think the Canucks are not any scarier than the Blackhawks that the Isles should not be concerned and give the young man a start and Nabby some much needed rest.

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
he should really be getting the start against vancouver and then the philly game. someone else said it in another thread (can't remember who), but there's no reason he should be playing every two weeks if we really want to have an honest look at this guy.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Is Poulin an answer for the future or not? Shouldn't he be getting at least 30% of the starts for the time being? Nabokov is older & frankly he's not very good anyway. There's no reason why a team that claims to be building through the draft won't play their best goalie prospect.

I can not stand how just because we made the playoffs last year we seemed to have abandoned the idea of building through the draft. oh we still won't sign or trade for anyone good ($), but we're going to go with fringe NHLers to try to get back to #8.

Poulin should play 2 out of every 5 games.

Last edited:

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
everything I have seen of Poulin tells me he is not going to be a real NHL goalie, and we should have had DP as our backup this year

Moosie

Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
If we're going to keep Poulin on the roster, we have to see what he's got. Nabby has taken some bad hits already. He's going to get hurt, and we don't have a backup with cred. Play Poulin regularly. If he can't put it together after five or six games, bring up the next contender.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If we're going to keep Poulin on the roster, we have to see what he's got. Nabby has taken some bad hits already. He's going to get hurt, and we don't have a backup with cred. Play Poulin regularly. If he can't put it together after five or six games, bring up the next contender.

I am all for this.

Ekblad or Reinhart?

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I think Poulin should get the start as well, the "Zombie Fryer".. Sportin' that new mask. But, seriously, he didn't look bad in his first game of the year. He held the reigning Stanley cup champions to 3 goals. Made some very impressive saves. Poulin just gives off bad rebounds, he needs to get that under control. He often looks very nervous as well.

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
Nabby starts v. VAN and @Pitt. Poulin goes Saturday. Look, frankly in my opinion Poulin is not very good. Yes, he was okay @ Chi, but he looked wobbly and shaky the whole game. Bad rebound control and flops alot. I would be all for signing Bryz but thats just me. He comes on the cheap and the Russian Tandem would carry us nicely. But, IMO, Poulin nice guy but bad goalie.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I think Poulin should get the start as well, the "Zombie Fryer".. Sportin' that new mask. But, seriously, he didn't look bad in his first game of the year. He held the reigning Stanley cup champions to 3 goals. Made some very impressive saves. Poulin just gives off bad rebounds, he needs to get that under control. He often looks very nervous as well.

if he looks nervous it's probably because he thinks if he doesn't get a shutout he won't see another game for 3 weeks.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Is Poulin an answer for the future or not? Shouldn't he be getting at least 30% of the starts for the time being? Nabokov is older & frankly he's not very good anyway. There's no reason why a team that claims to be building through the draft won't play their best goalie prospect.

I can not stand how just because we made the playoffs last year we seemed to have abandoned the idea of building through the draft. oh we still won't sign or trade for anyone good ($), but we're going to go with fringe NHLers to try to get back to #8.

Poulin should play 2 out of every 5 games.

while i agree that ne needs to start more games so that they might get a better look at him.
16 games is not hard to reach.
I think to get a better look he needs to getting like 30 games no ?

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
everything I have seen of Poulin tells me he is not going to be a real NHL goalie, and we should have had DP as our backup this year

I am with you on the poulin deal. I do not personally think he has what it takes to be a number one on the NHL.
However DP would not be the answer.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Nabby starts v. VAN and @Pitt. Poulin goes Saturday. Look, frankly in my opinion Poulin is not very good. Yes, he was okay @ Chi, but he looked wobbly and shaky the whole game. Bad rebound control and flops alot. I would be all for signing Bryz but thats just me. He comes on the cheap and the Russian Tandem would carry us nicely. But, IMO, Poulin nice guy but bad goalie.

I agree i would take the risk on bryz.
I think its a super low risk high reward.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
if he looks nervous it's probably because he thinks if he doesn't get a shutout he won't see another game for 3 weeks.

Exactly, he'll get scored on early and everyone will come out and ***** about how bad he is and how he doesn't control his rebounds. While Luongo & Fluery give out 2 dozen a game and their D clears the crease. Our D will allow Crosby, Malkin & the Sedins to waltz right in.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Poulin actually has glimpses where he reminds me of DP....

1) Inability to get set after a missed shot.

DP always struggled with this. A shot goes wide and we see him 5 feet out of the net looking around trying to find the puck. GET BACK IN THE NET!

This has a lot to do with reaction time, awareness and instincts. Not just getting back between the pipes but getting set and ready to face the puck. If you watch Poulin closely, he is unable to do this consistently.

2) Unnecessary "flashy" saves

Rick DiPietro was the KING of making a save look better than it was. While Nabakov (or most goaltenders) calmly gloves a one-timer. DP and Poulin insist on sliding across the crease in dramatic fashion to stretch out and catch the puck.

This makes the goalie look more impressive for saving easy shots AND it makes goals against on easy shots look like "they had no chance"

Needless to say, I don't think Poulin is impressive, do me a favor and watch these two things next time Poulin starts.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I agree i would take the risk on bryz.
I think its a super low risk high reward.
I wonder how much he'd cost. I liked him in PHX and PHA was a disaster. Might be an interesting move.

I like Poulin though, I'd give him a shot.

Poulin actually has glimpses where he reminds me of DP....

1) Inability to get set after a missed shot.

DP always struggled with this. A shot goes wide and we see him 5 feet out of the net looking around trying to find the puck. GET BACK IN THE NET!

This has a lot to do with reaction time, awareness and instincts. Not just getting back between the pipes but getting set and ready to face the puck. If you watch Poulin closely, he is unable to do this consistently.

2) Unnecessary "flashy" saves

Rick DiPietro was the KING of making a save look better than it was. While Nabakov (or most goaltenders) calmly gloves a one-timer. DP and Poulin insist on sliding across the crease in dramatic fashion to stretch out and catch the puck.

This makes the goalie look more impressive for saving easy shots AND it makes goals against on easy shots look like "they had no chance"

Needless to say, I don't think Poulin is impressive, do me a favor and watch these two things next time Poulin starts.

This is interesting. Not specifically the DP part, which is accurate, but Poulin does seem a lot more "wild" (less composed) in the net than he used to be. Even in his rookie yearr, first few starts, he looked very poised and smooth in net. He's been a little more erratic since then - though he played well in his first start this year.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
He looked smooth a few years ago because he was in game rhythm when he was called up to play. He's erratic when he sits on the bench for a month and his timing is off. I think he'd be fine if he got a start once a week. I wish (if it was even possible) that he went to BPort w/ Nelson to play yesterday just to see some live action.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
He looked smooth a few years ago because he was in game rhythm when he was called up to play. He's erratic when he sits on the bench for a month and his timing is off. I think he'd be fine if he got a start once a week. I wish (if it was even possible) that he went to BPort w/ Nelson to play yesterday just to see some live action.

Last season in Bridgeport he got the majority of starts on a consistent basis (before recall)

He played in 32 games and managed a 3.22 GAA. Hardly what you'd expect from a kid who we are expecting to have #1 potential.

He has digressed and continues to do so. If the kid has "jitters" when he starts rather than raising his game to a high level, then not sure he has a place in the organization.

We should want winners who are ready to compete when they get the opportunity.

Not completely ready to say he won't have a future, but given his flaws (mentioned above) he is going nowhere fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->