Post-Game Talk: Kevin Lowe and MacT still have jobs how!?!

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I noticed in the GDT people were pissing over the Vegas pregame production but frankly at least they have one, and theres some jam to it. Also like the entrance audio, booming sound. T Mobile, in every way seems like a better game day experience and atmosphere than what we got here in close to twice the price for arena project.

Whatever happened to the 100M in electronic goodies and tech that was going to be used in our new arena to refurbish the game day experience? We got one of the most expensive Arena jumbotrons in the world, with projection capabilities that allow it to do just what they do in Tampa for pregame audio/visual experience.

The thing is this is 2019 and high priced sports. You gotta make it a spectacle. That's what we paid for, to be able to do that. Each game should have a memorable opening. Renderings even depicted this kind of thing.

Just look at Connor McDavid out there in vegas pregame on the bench. He's pumped, smiling, into it, and was bouncing up and down like a kid with all that atmosphere. Haven't seen him that excited and smiling in months.

We have to stop filtering all this through what we find as silly or unnecessary. If our key players think this is pumping up the jam, and the home fans would like it, I bet they would, then it should happen, and be expected to happen.

The comments on social media and here mocking the Knights seems a bit jealous to me. This is now whats happening. We're not in Rexall anymore. Lets maybe have the production value of a new arena and expect the Oilers to provide it. They're quite happy stuck on doing nothing to improve the game day experience. It fits right in with their least possible effort approach to everything. Complete with the same droll between whistles montages and shticks they played at Rexall for years. party like its 1995 at the new Rogers Place arena folks..

Man, even the game in Cologne Germany, of a tier X team in a tier X league blew our production value right out of the water in what looked like a much better game day experience. lets start wowing the fans a bit and the players as well. Pump up some jam so that this even feels like top rank pro sports.

Opening the doors and throwing the lights on is no longer up to par.

I grew up in the YEG area (Sherwood Park) and went to many games during the glory days and the subsequent dark years thanks to an uncle having season tickets while they were in the WHA and him living in Fort Mac. Thankfully he didn’t sell all his tickets over the years.

Northlands/Skyreach/Rexall has always been a quiet building. People are intently watching the game I guess than just cheering for no reason. Still a rather dull atmosphere other than playoffs (yeah remember those times?).

Have gone to 2 VGN home games against the Oil and what a difference. They really know how to put on a show. Yeah it can be a little or a lot cheesy but it’s still fun! Even though we lost last night and last year when I went, it was fun. People aren’t really sure when to cheer and not but they’ll get it. The number of times the SuuuuuuuuuBan’d his name after he didn’t even touch it was comical.

Still they know how to put on a show. Even us ‘enemy’ fans were high giving and having fun with each other and the VGN fans.

Rogers place is state of the art but we need something to make it more exciting. Our team sure isn’t providing that lol. Maybe the production team should do their homework on the LONG offseason to see what they can do. T-Mobile Arena was jumping last night just like it was the last time I was there. We really can do it too...

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
They found Koskinen's glove after the game in the hallway.

upload_2019-3-18_19-28-17.jpeg

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I grew up in the YEG area (Sherwood Park) and went to many games during the glory days and the subsequent dark years thanks to an uncle having season tickets while they were in the WHA and him living in Fort Mac. Thankfully he didn’t sell all his tickets over the years.

Northlands/Skyreach/Rexall has always been a quiet building. People are intently watching the game I guess than just cheering for no reason. Still a rather dull atmosphere other than playoffs (yeah remember those times?).

Have gone to 2 VGN home games against the Oil and what a difference. They really know how to put on a show. Yeah it can be a little or a lot cheesy but it’s still fun! Even though we lost last night and last year when I went, it was fun. People aren’t really sure when to cheer and not but they’ll get it. The number of times the SuuuuuuuuuBan’d his name after he didn’t even touch it was comical.

Still they know how to put on a show. Even us ‘enemy’ fans were high giving and having fun with each other and the VGN fans.

Rogers place is state of the art but we need something to make it more exciting. Our team sure isn’t providing that lol. Maybe the production team should do their homework on the LONG offseason to see what they can do. T-Mobile Arena was jumping last night just like it was the last time I was there. We really can do it too...

But we added a Vegas style marching band....

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

They cater to children and old people when they should be catering to 14 to 40 year olds.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

All we need is a winning season and a lead on the score clock.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Koskinen can be a good goalie, but he is so prone to giving up ****ty goals on what should be harmless shots. Not sure if it's mental lapses or he just can't follow the play or what, but the guy is not reliable enough to have been given the contract he got. So now they're pretty much stuck with a flawed goalie, which is a problem when you can't outscore the bad goals he gives up. Smallest 6'7 goalie I have ever seen.

Well the weird thing is that every goalie we've had (Aside from maybe Rollie) has been giving up weak goals game in game out. The only common factor is Schwartz. Dude is absolute garbage as a goalie and even worse as a goalie coach. Every goalie that comes here gets worse and everytime they leave they get better just look at Dubnyk and Brossoit.

Reactions: fuswald

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I noticed in the GDT people were pissing over the Vegas pregame production but frankly at least they have one, and theres some jam to it. Also like the entrance audio, booming sound. T Mobile, in every way seems like a better game day experience and atmosphere than what we got here in close to twice the price for arena project.

Whatever happened to the 100M in electronic goodies and tech that was going to be used in our new arena to refurbish the game day experience? We got one of the most expensive Arena jumbotrons in the world, with projection capabilities that allow it to do just what they do in Tampa for pregame audio/visual experience.

The thing is this is 2019 and high priced sports. You gotta make it a spectacle. That's what we paid for, to be able to do that. Each game should have a memorable opening. Renderings even depicted this kind of thing.

Just look at Connor McDavid out there in vegas pregame on the bench. He's pumped, smiling, into it, and was bouncing up and down like a kid with all that atmosphere. Haven't seen him that excited and smiling in months.

We have to stop filtering all this through what we find as silly or unnecessary. If our key players think this is pumping up the jam, and the home fans would like it, I bet they would, then it should happen, and be expected to happen.

The comments on social media and here mocking the Knights seems a bit jealous to me. This is now whats happening. We're not in Rexall anymore. Lets maybe have the production value of a new arena and expect the Oilers to provide it. They're quite happy stuck on doing nothing to improve the game day experience. It fits right in with their least possible effort approach to everything. Complete with the same droll between whistles montages and shticks they played at Rexall for years. party like its 1995 at the new Rogers Place arena folks..

Man, even the game in Cologne Germany, of a tier X team in a tier X league blew our production value right out of the water in what looked like a much better game day experience. lets start wowing the fans a bit and the players as well. Pump up some jam so that this even feels like top rank pro sports.

Opening the doors and throwing the lights on is no longer up to par.

The fans are just better in Cologne (generally speaking Europe). The 2 ends behind the nets are standing sections. Tickets are in the 20 Euro range. This is where the "ultras" go. They drive up the energy in the building. You can bring in flags and drums and stuff. My buddy walked into the arena with a Canadian flag on a stick for the IIHF World Champs in 2017, No issues. Beer is 4.70 Euro (0,5 Liter). Arena is central with amazing transportation. People party or hang out on the lawns out front or surrounding pubs. Post-gaming in the ancient inner city or more modern nightlife scene is normal.

We all saw the pre-game show and resulting energy in Vegas starting last year. I saw a video from 2017-18 off season where Nicholson or some Oiler front-man responded to a reporter about this topic. It was a really lame and political reply and tbh I saw NO CHANGES in the games I went to this year.

Example: I was @ The Florida game this January. Since I can work downtown it's very convenient, no big wait in the line, decent seating, overall nice facility. I can also afford the beer and food, so for me it's pricey but not a showstopper. What is a real bummer is the atmosphere/mood during the game play. Overall VERY negative, then these weird promotional segments and those DJ or Drummer up in the rafters, or some blasting obnoxious music. Somehow they just get it wrong and don't hype up the fans.
If I was in row 3 there were some fans in row 1 having a good time, drinking a little, and standing up in intense moments. From behind they were getting chirped by grumpy complaining fans to sit down and such. Those folks in Row 1 turned and said they were from out of town and just having fun. I noticed they appeared to be First Nations. With Oilers down 1 goal many fans started to exit. By the time the Oilers tied it maybe 5k fans were gone. Us who were left had a great time and certainly enjoyed the McDavid OT winner! I personally celebrated with those 1st row out of towners and told them not to worry about the crusty people (felt like the majority).

Overall it's a morgue type atmosphere where the praised behavior is to complain (about beer price, parking, logistics, GM, players, other fans standing or cheering, etc.). Meanwhile it's a massive and new interior space with kind of bizarre promotions and music which not many fans seem to enjoy. Exception is that they do the anthems great!

My suggestion: Have some cheaper areas, e.g. standing area behind one net with cheaper tickets. Maybe game-day-only box office tickets. Otherwise who knows... give the fans something to cheer about, get better weather, or better gastronomic/nightlife scene :popcorn:

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Drai gets called on easily a softer interference version of what McDavid doesn't get a call on.

When you look up goalie interference, that's the picture they had in the rule book.

Good on you game managers! Just so sick of this garbage from this garage league.

Would have been nice if Kosk showed up for this one. I could see in the first that he needed to be pulled. Why the F did Hitch leave him in all game? I could care less if it was close until the 3rd. He was obviously struggling and needed to come out right away.

Some players obv wanted to win that game. Shame that there wasn't enough of those type of players playing for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad