Post-Game Talk: Kevin Lowe and MacT still have jobs how!?!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have watched the UNB Reds many times over the years. I live close to STFX. The Reds always have a team that comes at ya hard. They will skate you into the ice. They don't really have a number 1 line, they roll all 4. UNB always loads up on great defence. It was a great game I thought. Both teams are the best programs in the country.
I was dis-appointed in the crowd there. When it was hosted here in NS, they had sell-outs. They are hosting in Halifax again next year
I think the Reds had the better D depth, as the Bears had a pair I didn't like much. But the Bears have better forwards, the injury to Philp obviously a huge factor, but even with that the Bears generated better scoring chances. Dubeau was spectacular. I mean the Reds are good enough for goaltending to be the difference in a game like this but that was the margin. In anycase 2 well coached clubs playing decent systems and clearly the best teams in the Country. I don't understand the format though of how the Bears had to play the 2nd ranked Huskies while the Reds played the easily dispatchable STFX in the semi finals. Shouldn't the Bears have had the easier matchup due to top rank? I thought the Bears were a bit tired in this one and it impacted how dominant their skating usually is. Usually the bears do better for instance at shot suppression. I've seen games with single digit shots allowed by the Bears.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I blame Hitchcock...absolutely no reason to go back to Koskinen on a back to back after a late game the day before. Did they learn nothing with Talbot?
I was thinking the same thing..
maybe the plan was to have Koskinen play 100% of the games for the “best” chance of going 11-0 and making the playoffs? I dunno..

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly...I simply dont know or understand how Koskinen had so many supporters on here.
I just dont know what it is they see in this goalie.

If they dont get an upgrade in net for next season this team will miss the playoffs again next year.
I’m not sure how they even go about doing that either with him signed long term at $4.5 million. I get that the free agent goaltending pool was weak this year but even if he wasn’t signed you’d still have money to take a flyer on somebody else and cross your fingers and hope you get lucky. They don’t even have that option. All there really is now is to hope somebody in Bakersfield can come up and overachieve. What a mess.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers don't win that game with anyone else in net either. The Golden Knights looked like they play in a different league than the Oilers, it wasn't even close. This team was never good enough, and while it was nice to believe for a little bit, the talent just isn't there.

Reactions: harpoon and subnet

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Not sure why anybody would be disappointed to see this team lose against the Knights

Because it's rather embarrassing having a two year old nhl club more or less match the oilers last twenty years of achievements. Technically ya we should realize our team sucks and shouldn't expect them to beat anybody. But those of us who thought it would be nice to have an above average team for a change (perhaps doable with the best player in the game) are still a little pissed off as we watch this team go down the toilet. But you're right in a way, it's beyond the point where you'd have to be a fool to have any winning expectations anymore.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Yeah Koskinen had a bad game. I'm cutting him some slack though, he's been very good for us recently. They should have played stolarz, but I can understand why they didn't with the season teetering on the brink, and after watching the game I think we would have fared about the same with stolarz in net anyway. I just hope the org learns from this and doesn't keep going to Koskinen for both halves of back to backs.

Being out of this world for 1 period then letting in softies all over the place during a playoff race does not equate to cutting him some slack. f*** the slack. He straight up goes up and down like a seesaw. Can't have that in the NHL. Oiler fans are so quick to cutting players and goalies slacks. There is no excuse for shoddy goaltending when its crunch time. Someone needs to lay it on him about this in practice. Either earn your f***ing salary for the next 3 years or gtfo.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
giphy.gif
Finally a picture accurately depicting what the Oilers are. Those pictures of dumpsters fires were negligently optimistic.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I blame Hitchcock...absolutely no reason to go back to Koskinen on a back to back after a late game the day before. Did they learn nothing with Talbot?

Old school hockey people think running with the hot hand is a thing despite the evidence that shows performance tends to dip on the back half of a b-to-b.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Being out of this world for 1 period then letting in softies all over the place during a playoff race does not equate to cutting him some slack. **** the slack. He straight up goes up and down like a seesaw. Can't have that in the NHL. Oiler fans are so quick to cutting players and goalies slacks. There is no excuse for shoddy goaltending when its crunch time. Someone needs to lay it on him about this in practice. Either earn your ****ing salary for the next 3 years or gtfo.
If anything, Oilers fans are quick to jump down a players throat and start rallying with pitchforks over the idea of finding a whipping boy.

Koskinen has been great the last few weeks for the most part. The man is getting fatigued, he's used to 50 game khl seasons. Goalies in general do poorly in back to backs anyway. Is this the only game half of you have watched in the last few weeks? They just need to avoid playing him in both halves of a back to back, same as any other goalie.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Yeaah you right ! Then the game had been over after the first 5 minutes, and i could had a good nights sleep! Dont forget the great chance on drafting top 3!

Koskinen relies on his size on not talent. IT may have worked in Russia but he has been caught out here in the NHL

Reactions: imtheboy

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If anything, Oilers fans are quick to jump down a players throat and start rallying with pitchforks over the idea of finding a whipping boy.

Koskinen has been great the last few weeks for the most part. The man is getting fatigued, he's used to 50 game khl seasons. Goalies in general do poorly in back to backs anyway. Is this the only game half of you have watched in the last few weeks? They just need to avoid playing him in both halves of a back to back, same as any other goalie.

excuses excuses excuses. Keep going man. Its been 12 years and counting. What will be the excuse when Connor asks out. "f*** connor" ? he wasn't a team player anyways....

Oiler fans man. Oiler fans.

never ending cycle of accepted mediocrity.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m usually last to rag on Kosko but aside from his weak glove side his gustavsson like flopping in the crease is making me very nervous.
To me, what I find most disturbing is all the pucks that he’s getting a piece of that bounce in the air, land close by and then he has no idea where they went. We’re seeing this several times a game now and a lot of them are ending up in the net. I’ve never seen another NHL goalie with this issue before and that leads me to conclude that he isn’t an NHL goalie.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Koskinen relies on his size on not talent. IT may have worked in Russia but he has been caught out here in the NHL

I thought you talked about keeping Talbot? 4th goalie n Philly and had a habit to let in the first shot, hes done in Nhl. I give Koski a season more, he also has been good and adapting to the Na rinks and games!

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
excuses excuses excuses. Keep going man. Its been 12 years and counting. What will be the excuse when Connor asks out. "**** connor" ? he wasn't a team player anyways....

Oiler fans man. Oiler fans.

never ending cycle of accepted mediocrity.
I've been happy with Koskinen. He does have the occasional really bad game though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I noticed in the GDT people were pissing over the Vegas pregame production but frankly at least they have one, and theres some jam to it. Also like the entrance audio, booming sound. T Mobile, in every way seems like a better game day experience and atmosphere than what we got here in close to twice the price for arena project.

Whatever happened to the 100M in electronic goodies and tech that was going to be used in our new arena to refurbish the game day experience? We got one of the most expensive Arena jumbotrons in the world, with projection capabilities that allow it to do just what they do in Tampa for pregame audio/visual experience.

The thing is this is 2019 and high priced sports. You gotta make it a spectacle. That's what we paid for, to be able to do that. Each game should have a memorable opening. Renderings even depicted this kind of thing.

Just look at Connor McDavid out there in vegas pregame on the bench. He's pumped, smiling, into it, and was bouncing up and down like a kid with all that atmosphere. Haven't seen him that excited and smiling in months.

We have to stop filtering all this through what we find as silly or unnecessary. If our key players think this is pumping up the jam, and the home fans would like it, I bet they would, then it should happen, and be expected to happen.

The comments on social media and here mocking the Knights seems a bit jealous to me. This is now whats happening. We're not in Rexall anymore. Lets maybe have the production value of a new arena and expect the Oilers to provide it. They're quite happy stuck on doing nothing to improve the game day experience. It fits right in with their least possible effort approach to everything. Complete with the same droll between whistles montages and shticks they played at Rexall for years. party like its 1995 at the new Rogers Place arena folks..

Man, even the game in Cologne Germany, of a tier X team in a tier X league blew our production value right out of the water in what looked like a much better game day experience. lets start wowing the fans a bit and the players as well. Pump up some jam so that this even feels like top rank pro sports.

Opening the doors and throwing the lights on is no longer up to par.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've been happy with Koskinen. He does have the occasional really bad game though.

4-5 pulls so far which is fairly high considering amount of starts and would have been another one last night except there seemed no point, this was a loss anyway you sliced it. This made it even more odd to me that McD pre game was acting like a kid in a candy shop. Because his team was going to get set on fire all night. It looked like a Christian being excited about facing the Lions. Not the Detroit Lions..

He liked the Vegas pomp and ceremony I guess, like I said above.

Man, on April Fools day I wonder what that game is going to look like. We face Vegas in Vegas on drinking day and joke day. Thats almost too much to take. Another Chia generated season has been enough of a joke.

Still 10 games left? f*** this season is moving along like a glacier.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think the Reds had the better D depth, as the Bears had a pair I didn't like much. But the Bears have better forwards, the injury to Philp obviously a huge factor, but even with that the Bears generated better scoring chances. Dubeau was spectacular. I mean the Reds are good enough for goaltending to be the difference in a game like this but that was the margin. In anycase 2 well coached clubs playing decent systems and clearly the best teams in the Country. I don't understand the format though of how the Bears had to play the 2nd ranked Huskies while the Reds played the easily dispatchable STFX in the semi finals. Shouldn't the Bears have had the easier matchup due to top rank? I thought the Bears were a bit tired in this one and it impacted how dominant their skating usually is. Usually the bears do better for instance at shot suppression. I've seen games with single digit shots allowed by the Bears.

They never rate them right. X was rated 6th going into the tourney and drew the 3rd seat who they beat. The teams from Ont and Que do not do good against the AUS teams or Alberta but yet they rate them high. I think you will always see a team from the AUS or Alberta win the championship.
Gotta disagree with ya on the tired factor. Alberta and Saskatchewan both played Thursday and had Friday off. Both X and UNB played 3 days in a row. X usually plays UNB better but UNB owed them from last year. Alberta is very dominant in their conference. In the AUS, UNB is strong but other teams like SMU, X, Acadia always ice a good team. It would be great to see Alberta come East for a few games a year. It would help out the CIS.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
To me, what I find most disturbing is all the pucks that he’s getting a piece of that bounce in the air, land close by and then he has no idea where they went. We’re seeing this several times a game now and a lot of them are ending up in the net. I’ve never seen another NHL goalie with this issue before and that leads me to conclude that he isn’t an NHL goalie.

Your write up reminds me of Brossoit kind of. He couldnt track the puck well in Edmonton. Koskinen looks better here than Brossoit ever did. Brossoit is putting up good numbers in Winnipeg though.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad