Value of: Kevin Labanc

AliBaba

Jan 16, 2013
Bay Area
He’s got great underlying numbers according to hockey twitter but I don’t like him. He’s got classic dumb guy face, takes bad penalties, and he’s a far right winger. Can we talk CBJ into Laine for Labanc+ ??

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would like him on the Canucks but we probably don’t have good enough pieces

Sharks are in a spot where they have a lot of things potentially on the table when it comes to trades. They can try and max out the value of Labanc on his own for futures. They can use him to bribe a team into taking a bad contract. They could trade him in a hockey deal for a legitimate 1C, granted he'd only be a part of that sort of deal. They could also keep him because he's a legitimate top six winger on a solid contract. He's one of the few guys where he'd be valuable to plenty of teams in the league but the team is in a position where they're only going to take a deal that blows their socks off.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hes easily better than Kapanen and you control him for longer

He's really not and that cap hit is terrible and a product of a handshake deal his receiving team didn't get a piece of. That's more than Tyler Toffoli money in a covid cap environment

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Any analytic you look at would tell you Labanc is better, and his deal is good.

Compared to Vlasic Jones and Karlsson maybe, but no team trying to actually manage their cap would want a piece of it for the "analytics" of a one dimensional 40-50 point winger

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If they're not shopping him, what's the point?

Sharks beat writer first reported it this morning and then talked some more about it in his Facebook live. There's just a chance.
There's also some more plausibility that he could be moved due to the Sharks' abundance of winger depth.
A lot of times we see trades where we as fans say, "whoa he was available?!". We can just never know for sure, especially with a tight-lipped organization like the Sharks and a magician like GM Doug Wilson.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Sharks beat writer first reported it this morning and then talked some more about it in his Facebook live. There's just a chance.
There's also some more plausibility that he could be moved due to the Sharks' abundance of winger depth.
A lot of times we see trades where we as fans say, "whoa he was available?!". We can just never know for sure, especially with a tight-lipped organization like the Sharks and a magician like GM Doug Wilson.

It's an odd time to play the "we're not shopping him so you'll have to overpay" game.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He’s got great underlying numbers according to hockey twitter but I don’t like him. He’s got classic dumb guy face, takes bad penalties, and he’s a far right winger. Can we talk CBJ into Laine for Labanc+ ??

underlying numbers scare the crap out of me as a boston fan. Kase has great underlying numbers. I prefer guys with great overlying numbers

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Take a lesson from Tony De
Enjoy playing

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's an odd time to play the "we're not shopping him so you'll have to overpay" game.

I mean, it's the trade deadline, it's one of the exact times to listen to potentially desperate GM's looking to make their teams better. What are you talking about?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I mean, it's the trade deadline, it's one of the exact times to listen to potentially desperate GM's looking to make their teams better. What are you talking about?

Except there are actual sellers out there at the moment...not game playing posturers.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except there are actual sellers out there at the moment...not game playing posturers.

Everyone postures to one degree or another on certain players. This is pretty basic shit. Some guys the Sharks will just get what they can and some require more negotiating. That's normal. You shouldn't be surprised by any of this.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I dont think I would pay a 1st to get Labanc.

He has a career high of just 17 goals in a season. We can get a much better goal scorer with Islanders first round pick.

Labanc is a good PP player so if your team struggles there, he'll help others in that situation. He's got a good shot but he's a better setup guy.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Non-premium type at a non-premium position with non-premium production. The appeal with LeBanc, i think, would be term in combination with what should be a modest acquisition price; don't want to move a late 1st for a someone that may walk at season's end, well you can have 3 years of LeBanc for a similar price. Carolina gave up a 1st for Brady Skjei in similar fashion last year.

Strip affordability away and I don't get the appeal. A team overwhelming San Jose to make a ~2nd line skill winger available is a stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->