Value of: Kevin Hayes to The Toronto Maple Leafs

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
good value and roster flexibility
Leafs have too much $ in pivot, moving similar $ into multiple quality assets spreads cap $ thru roster = mo cap flexibility.

it's an all in move, but also facilitates Gardiner for futures
and DeA after growing pains looks certain to NHL player, how much ceiling still determined over next 1-2 yrs.
Lilj is not a guarantee.
I'm not saying he is a certain bust, not at all.
But he was drafted with expectation of 1D, and he has not yet made Leafs, let alone impressed as 1D material

You do realize he's 19 right? Our d core was already filled out before he was drafted with Hainsey, Gardiner, Zaitsev.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Kadri
Rosen

For

Hayes
Skjei
McQuaid
3rd

Pass. If I am giving up Skjei, I want Kapanen, if it isn't in the cards, no deal to be made.
I like Kadri but at 28 he really should not be a player the Rangers target during a rebuild.
Rosen is also not the type of player the Rangers acquire considering their rebuild.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Leafs have too much $ in pivot, moving similar $ into multiple quality assets spreads cap $ thru roster = mo cap flexibility.

and DeA after growing pains looks certain to NHL player, how much ceiling still determined over next 1-2 yrs.
Lilj is not a guarantee.
But he was drafted with expectation of 1D, and he has not yet made Leafs, let alone impressed as 1D material

Not true at all

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Are Rangers adding and is Nylander coming to NY to be 1RW bookend with Kreider?
Hayes at half
Skjei
DeAngelo
McQuaid
TB's 2nd late if there = conditional last 1st if Bolts win Cup

for
Nylander
Liljigren
Marincin

didn't do the math but that looks ballpark = cap
remember Nylander at 10.x rate this year, 6.9 going forward

Also gives Leafs FO to zing Nylander for holding out so long

-----------------------

if not Nylander package, then
competition likely requires something like
Hayes at half expiring
for
1st + Lilj minimum + maybe Kapanen
Typical foolish and unrealistic proposal with waaaaaaaaay too many parts. Bern are you ever going to create a good proposal that makes sense for both teams?

You're like, 0/372.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Lilj is not a guarantee.
Teams don't trade core pieces for redundant pieces.

And McQuaid is neither good nor quality.

Maybe don't try to hit a 5 run homer and just go for a nice ground rule double next time.

Reactions: Shootertooter

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
The only way Kap is involved in any deal with the Rangers Kreider needs to be involved, that would at least get the conversation going. No Kreider no conversation period.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Here is the issue with this thread. It's been reported many times that Leafs are scouting the Canes hard. Canes apparently want Kapanen / Johnsson and the Leafs won't pay it.

If the Leafs could get a top 4 RD for Kapanen / Johnsson but are saying the price is too high (when that is their biggest need), why on earth would the Leafs ever consider moving them for essentially a rental given the Leafs cap situation?

Reactions: Dijock94

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Here is the issue with this thread. It's been reported many times that Leafs are scouting the Canes hard. Canes apparently want Kapanen / Johnsson and the Leafs won't pay it.

If the Leafs could get a top 4 RD for Kapanen / Johnsson but are saying the price is too high (when that is their biggest need), why on earth would the Leafs ever consider moving them for essentially a rental given the Leafs cap situation?
Not quite true....the problem is what the Leafs would pay them for. They would pay Kap/Johnsson(+) for Pesce/Hamilton....the Canes want Kap/Johnsson for Faulk.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Not quite true....the problem is what the Leafs would pay them for. They would pay Kap/Johnsson(+) for Pesce/Hamilton....the Canes want Kap/Johnsson for Faulk.

Not based on what has been reported. Even last game they re-iterated during intermission that the Leafs are scouting the Canes and they are interested in Johnsson / Kapanen. In fact, they report Pesce by name as a guy the Leafs are scouting but reluctant to move players off the roster.

So forget the Canes POV and what they value Pesce as. From a Leafs POV, they are reluctant to move those guys for a top pair RD signed long term on a good deal.

Which is my point. If they won't move them for THAT, why for a rental?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Not based on what has been reported. Even last game they re-iterated during intermission that the Leafs are scouting the Canes and they are interested in Johnsson / Kapanen. In fact, they report Pesce by name as a guy the Leafs are scouting but reluctant to move players off the roster.

So forget the Canes POV and what they value Pesce as. From a Leafs POV, they are reluctant to move those guys for a top pair RD signed long term on a good deal.

Which is my point. If they won't move them for THAT, why for a rental?

I think as the deadline creeps closer and GM's get more desperate....things can easily change.
If your GM thinks he is a player or two away, he will make a move that the fans might question.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I think as the deadline creeps closer and GM's get more desperate....things can easily change.
If your GM thinks he is a player or two away, he will make a move that the fans might question.

On the flip side if a GM believes that he has the pieces necessary to win, he won't want to touch the roster at all (which is what is being reported).

And this doesn't even address my point either. At that point he would be calling Carolina to fill the teams biggest need rather than paying the same price for a rental who would be a luxury on Toronto's forward core.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
On the flip side if a GM believes that he has the pieces necessary to win, he won't want to touch the roster at all (which is what is being reported).

And this doesn't even address my point either. At that point he would be calling Carolina to fill the teams biggest need rather than paying the same price for a rental who would be a luxury on Toronto's forward core.

I agree and said it here earlier, Toronto should be looking at D and not Kreider.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
It seems the Leafs are targeting everyone.Only so many rosters spots.
Dubas should be targeting a bunch of different players. Keep that communication line open with multiple GM's because a bunch of them won't happen for a variety of reasons but one or two deals may get worked out.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I can see Johansson going to the Rangers if they take Zaits+Brown for Hayes+McQuaid

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Good good, that Zaitsev contract is brutal. I don't think I realized just how bad that is until every leafs fan on the planet keeps offering him.

Only way I take that contract is if it comes with something truly amazing

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
The only way Kap is involved in any deal with the Rangers Kreider needs to be involved, that would at least get the conversation going. No Kreider no conversation period.

My understanding is that Kreider was involved in the discussion for Kap here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad