Friedman: Kevin Hayes Linked to Boston & Colorado

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Would Kaut be available for Hayes? That's the guy that I would really want in a potential Hayes deal, was a big fan of him before the draft

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Hayes, 50% retained

Colorado: their 1st, Makar, Greer/Morrison, conditional 2020 2nd if he resigns

Boston: 1st, Bjork, Lauko/Senyshyn, cond 2020 2nd if he resigns
How do you go from Makar and Greer/Morrison to Bjork Lauko/Senyshyn. The difference there is massive

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'll get my prediction in early, just in case.

Hayes
For
Avs 1st round pick 2019
Avs 3rd round pick 2019
Andrighetto

Reactions: Machinehead

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'll get my prediction in early, just in case.

Hayes
For
Avs 1st round pick 2019
Avs 3rd round pick 2019
Andrighetto

Boo lol my boy Ghetto. CGF would approve though. For HF purposes that third piece probably has to be a prospect.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Boo lol my boy Ghetto. CGF would approve though. For HF purposes that third piece probably has to be a prospect.

Yea he's not getting a fair chance in Colorado. That won't get any better if the Avs bring in another forward. Moving him also helps offset some salary.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Is there something wrong with Hayes we don't know about? from my view point he's the best 2-way center on the team and he's only 26. I can't see him not accepting a reasonable deal from the rangers considering he chose them out of college.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Is there something wrong with Hayes we don't know about? from my view point he's the best 2-way center on the team and he's only 26. I can't see him not accepting a reasonable deal from the rangers considering he chose them out of college.

Hayes does not fit the timeline for a rebuilding rangers team. He wants a 6 year deal with a NTC. It's the NTC that makes him not fit.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Hayes does not fit the timeline for a rebuilding rangers team. He wants a 6 year deal with a NTC. It's the NTC that makes him not fit.
Thinking like that make's rebuilds last forever, at 26 he's a perfect 2nd line center to help a rebuild.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thinking like that make's rebuilds last forever, at 26 he's a perfect 2nd line center to help a rebuild.

Not when you’ve already got 3 young centers and at least another season or two of development after this one. Meaning that keeping both Hayes & Zibanejad for too much longer would start to impede the growth of Chytil / Andersson / Howden.

And with them rebuilding their prospect pool they need to sell off a couple more pieces for futures.

Reactions: Shootertooter

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Not when you’ve already got 3 young centers and at least another season or two of development after this one. Meaning that keeping both Hayes & Zibanejad for too much longer would start to impede the growth of Chytil / Andersson / Howden.

And with them rebuilding their prospect pool they need to sell off a couple more pieces for futures.

The Hayes situation has nothing to do with the rebuild. The reason he's being shopped is simply because he's worth more to the Rangers in a trade than he is being re-signed. They're deep at center with Zibanejad emerging as a true #1 and Chytil, Andersson, Howden and to an extent Nieves (4th line) already on the roster and only getting better.

His value is just too high to not gauge what's out there. I wouldn't be surprised if he's resigned at a slight discount but I also wouldn't be surprised if he's traded.

If it came down to getting a late 1st + for him I'd rather re-sign him. If a top 10 pick is coming back the other way, I don't see how the Rangers can say no

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Forever? This is year 1.

The cupboard was bare and still needs to be restocked.

You do that by being bad and trading assets that won't be useful when it's time to compete.

This is year 2, it only takes like 4-5 years to go through a "full rebuild", and Gorton did a great job to kick start it at the deadline last year (also the Stepan deal at the '17 draft)

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
This is year 2, it only takes like 4-5 years to go through a "full rebuild", and Gorton did a great job to kick start it at the deadline last year (also the Stepan deal at the '17 draft)

This is year 1. Gorton sent his rebuild letter earlier this year. There was an intention to retool on the fly at the start of the 2017-2018 season... See Smith's deal. It wasnt until 2018 that the org decided to start a full rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
itonly takes like 4-5 years to go through a "full rebuild"

So... The option becomes have a Hayes that is 4-5 years older than he is now... With a no trade clause... Or have 4-5 years to develop a top prospect and a b level support player ( the likely return for Hayes this year).

That's an easy choice for me. Again, if Hayes is willing to drop the NTC, I'm all for resigning him. This team simply can't have it's hands tied in year 1 of a rebuild.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
This is year 1. Gorton sent his rebuild letter earlier this year. There was an intention to retooled on the fly at the start of the 2017-2018 season... See Smith's deal. It wasnt until 2018 that the org decided to start a full rebuild.

I don't know about you but Brendan Smith screams "placeholder" to me, also not a single contract for UFAs are going past 2 more seasons after this one. He might not have come out and said it, but the rebuild started when Stepan was traded for futures.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
So... The option becomes have a Hayes that is 4-5 years older than he is now... With a no trade clause... Or have 4-5 years to develop a top prospect and a b level support player ( the likely return for Hayes this year).

That's an easy choice for me. Again, if Hayes is willing to drop the NTC, I'm all for resigning him. This team simply can't have it's hands tied in year 1 of a rebuild.

Maybe we sign Hayes, maybe we don't. The key here is that Gorton put the team in a situation where he can be really flexible with his moves because there is very little cap committment past our rebuild window. Gorton has the option to trade hayes at the deadline (or not), or resign him and trade Mika at the deadline, or trade Hayes at the deadline ->trade Mika at draft -> sign Hayes july 1st. I think its a good bet that both of these players will not be on the roster next season, the question is which one?

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I don't know about you but Brendan Smith screams "placeholder" to me, also not a single contract for UFAs are going past 2 more seasons after this one. He might not have come out and said it, but the rebuild started when Stepan was traded for futures.

4 years doesn't scream placeholder to me. He was part of the failed retool.

Reactions: Off Sides

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
4 years doesn't scream placeholder to me. He was part of the failed retool.

It was an easy gamble, either he (and shattenkirk) worked out and the team continued to be a threat, or they stunk and the team could continue the process they started. Signing Brendan Smith to a 4 year contract did no damage to the potential rebuild, hell you can watch them play and see that it's likely helping. Smith showed a lot of game when we acquired him at the deadline, but the team was just not talented enough anymore to be a serious contender.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Maybe we sign Hayes, maybe we don't. The key here is that Gorton put the team in a situation where he can be really flexible with his moves because there is very little cap committment past our rebuild window. Gorton has the option to trade hayes at the deadline (or not), or resign him and trade Mika at the deadline, or trade Hayes at the deadline ->trade Mika at draft -> sign Hayes july 1st. I think its a good bet that both of these players will not be on the roster next season, the question is which one?

I think we're kind of agreeing here.

You can't have both a #1 and a #2 center locked in so early in a rebuild. It's creates inflexibility. It prevents some of our top prospects from developing and makes them play out of position.

So the question is then, which do you keep? Mika is far and away the better player, and also a righty shot. Done.

So then... You trade Hayes.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I think we're kind of agreeing here.

You can't have both a #1 and a #2 center locked in so early in a rebuild. It's creates inflexibility. It prevents some of our top prospects from developing and makes them play out of position.

So the question is then, which do you keep? Mika is far and away the better player, and also a righty shot. Done.

So then... You trade Hayes.

But if we are rebuilding, the assets we could acquire from trading Mika could be much better than Hayes. Just imagine if things work out for us and we end up trading both then bringing Hayes back? Mika's deal ends right as we start to enter our window of competing, so long as we have one of the two around. I don't think it matters which of the two we keep around, either of them will suffice as a buffer for our youth to develop. They each bring something different to the lineup, and they also bring something different to the trading post.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
But if we are rebuilding, the assets we could acquire from trading Mika could be much better than Hayes. Just imagine if things work out for us and we end up trading both then bringing Hayes back? Mika's deal ends right as we start to enter our window of competing, so long as we have one of the two around. I don't think it matters which of the two we keep around, either of them will suffice as a buffer for our youth to develop. They each bring something different to the lineup, and they also bring something different to the trading post.

Disagree... Teams competing will probably not need a #1 center. Thus, the market will be smaller and less likely to pay a decent price. A need for a #2 from a playoff team is much more likely, and that sort of team will be willing to send back a pick for a run.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Disagree... Teams competing will probably not need a #1 center. Thus, the market will be smaller and less likely to pay a decent price. A need for a #2 from a playoff team is much more likely, and that sort of team will be willing to send back a pick for a run.

As an avs fan I’d be much more interested in paying a higher price for Zibby than paying less for Hayes. With Zibby’s contract being cheaper than what Hayes is likely to get, the mitagitating factor is acquisition cost...and fortunately we have a surplus of picks, young players & A-prospects to work with. Be it putting a richer centerpiece on the table like the Ottawa pick if it ends up outside the top 5; or adding an extra 1st/A-prospect into the package if you didn’t want to wait until after the lottery.

To put it in context of more specific packages that would makes sense for Colorado to offer; for Hayes anything more than our 1st and a B-prospect...or a 3rd + Andrighetto...would make me uncomfortable. Whereas for Zibby I’d be ok with going up to #6-10 overall if the OTT pick doesn't end up top 5 + an A-prospect; or our 1st + 2 A-prospects...or an A prospect & a conditional 2020 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad