Kevin Hayes - curse or blessing

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He filled a big immediate need but it was pretty obvious this deal would suck long term as soon as it was signed. He could bounce back next year but it’s hard to imagine him not lagging behind the rest of the league in years 5,6.7 of this deal.
Yep. He sucks and he's going to suck for 5 more long years. Slow AF. Puck Hog. Dog F'er. At least he gives Gritty someone to play with.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Hayes, Duchene, Tavares are prime examples of why dipping into the FA market is like swimming in a cess pool. The only players that get into that market are the ones that overplay their value. Even with Tavares, who Leaf fans would consider a success, he hasn't played up to the level of that contract; he messed up the salary structure of the organization and still isn't the best player on his team. Good/smart teams sign their best players.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He has been the anti-Couturier this year and that is problematic.

Leaning harder on dump hockey and less on possession (where his skillset lies) could be a big factor in that though. AV really knows how to cater a system to a team's weaknesses.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
He has been the anti-Couturier this year and that is problematic.

Leaning harder on dump hockey and less on possession (where his skillset lies) could be a big factor in that though. AV really knows how to cater a system to a team's weaknesses.

The Flyers, a team FULL of finesse players, both on O and D, are being asked to play lunch pail hockey.

Same problem with Hakstol. He may not have had the same system, but expected a point shot, rebound mentality. More grind hockey.

The upper management has completely failed to either find a coach that can amplify this talent, or adopt their system to do so. Square peg, round hole.

But keep trying.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers, a team FULL of finesse players, both on O and D, are being asked to play lunch pail hockey.

Same problem with Hakstol. He may not have had the same system, but expected a point shot, rebound mentality. More grind hockey.

The upper management has completely failed to either find a coach that can amplify this talent, or adopt their system to do so. Square peg, round hole.

But keep trying.

Knoblauch as an assistant got it. He supposedly put together the controlled entry transition that really suited the roster well and had them flying up ice and gaining the offensive zone effectively. It's a pity once they were established in the offensive zone they used that presence for silly stupid shit.

He coaches for a divisional org now. We elected to have Gordon run the Phantoms instead of handing over to him. I wonder if that will end up making us look stupid again.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Knoblauch as an assistant got it. He supposedly put together the controlled entry transition that really suited the roster well and had them flying up ice and gaining the offensive zone effectively. It's a pity once they were established in the offensive zone they used that presence for silly stupid shit.

He coaches for a divisional org now. We elected to have Gordon run the Phantoms instead of handing over to him. I wonder if that will end up making us look stupid again.
Hopefully that's a rhetorical wonder because we already look like they have to strap us to the roof of the short bus.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I never, ever thought it was smart to try and evaluate him while he was under that clown head coach. You don't go from playing the way his Erie teams did and just suddenly start thinking like a concussed moose. F***ing Gordo. F***ing Hak. F***.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Without Hayes we'd be DOA at center. His production is what it's always been, higher than last year by 2 PPG. He looks way worse than he plays and does have his share of boneheaded moves. His contract is obviously the worst part about him on the team. I guess we can count our blessings we ended up with him over Duchene though. We bought his prime years and paid a premium, hoping he has a different role under a new coach whenever that happens.

We haven't had a single shorty this year.
We haven’t? Seriously? I swear I’ve seen a few, but maybe this year and last year are blending together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad