Recalled/Assigned: Kevin Gravel

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He actually loses $$$ because of escrow holdback for everyday he is up .... I hope Sandin is not hurt ... I would rather have Gravel playing then Marty. But more than likely a trade is in the works.

He might gain some offsetting money from the NHL pension plan by being in the NHL for a day. Haven't looked into all the minutia.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There is some type of cap voodoo that requires the Leafs to be as close to the limit with the active roster. (I don't understand the detail)
To do this they make these odd call ups based on how the contract fits against the daily cap hit.

Nah. As an earlier reply correctly stated: being close to the cap only matters when LTIR is first invoked. Once a team is operating in LTIR space there's no benefit gained from staying close to the cap ceiling.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
this is only needed when the team initially activates LTIR but once using LTIR it no longer matters how close Leafs are to the limit or when.

Nah. As an earlier reply correctly stated: being close to the cap only matters when LTIR is first invoked. Once a team is operating in LTIR space there's no benefit gained from staying close to the cap ceiling.

Hmmm...ok then.

Guess I read some BS somewhere.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He might gain some offsetting money from the NHL pension plan by being in the NHL for a day. Haven't looked into all the minutia.

As confusing and nebulous as some of this stuff can seem, it's nice to have a management that actually operates on a level above the average message board user, who used to be able to easily understand everything done by previous GM's like Burke, and a lot of other guys around the NHL.

Reactions: Advanced stats

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
yes it does. It goes down. He pays into escrow when he's in the NHL.

He actually loses $$$ because of escrow holdback for everyday he is up .... I hope Sandin is not hurt ... I would rather have Gravel playing then Marty. But more than likely a trade is in the works.

I agree thats pretty straight forward lol

escrow won’t determine if he gets paid less. It will be collected up front but could be paid back either entirely or in part. What would determine if he’s paid less by the end of the year is whether or not the league ends up earning less hockey related revenue than originally projected when the escrow was determined.

if the league over performs the revenue projections then it’s possible for example an NHL salary of 700k ends up being 750k.

Reactions: Julio Jones

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
escrow won’t determine if he gets paid less. It will be collected up front but could be paid back either entirely or in part. What would determine if he’s paid less by the end of the year is whether or not the league ends up earning less hockey related revenue than originally projected when the escrow was determined.

if the league over performs the revenue projections then it’s possible for example an NHL salary of 700k ends up being 750k.

Time value of money. Money today > money months from now.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Weird. Doesn't fit the "young guy practicing with the big team as a reward" scenario. He's 27.

I'm calling trade, with him replacing either Ceci or Marincin some scenario.
Mirtle revealed the reason. Apparently Gravel has had a difficult year and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease and has been going through a lot of challenges, but he's been working really hard with the Marlies so this was a way to reward him

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Mirtle revealed the reason. Apparently Gravel has had a difficult year and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease and has been going through a lot of challenges, but he's been working really hard with the Marlies so this was a way to reward him
Dubas is a good guy. Real

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Be interesting to see if he gets a contract offer, and if it is a one-way again.

Hasn't earned a lot of money over the years, only 109 NHL games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->