Player Discussion Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Good thing we don't have to give a contract right now. At the end of the season Guerin can sit back and evaluate what he wants to do with him. He will be 25yo, and for all his promise, has only had one season where he has scored more than 50 pts. I don't see where he will command an enormous contract. He is obviously very talented, but has yet to prove that he can be consistently productive.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Greenway and Ek are great at what they do, and either one of them could play on a scoring line with two skilled, offensive players, but having two of them with just Fiala is putting a lot of pressure on Fiala to create on that line, and he's slumping right now, so the confidence is gone.
It shouldn't be putting pressure on him too badly. Ek leads in goals...Greenway in assists. So those two are doing something right. Fiala just seems to be pressing even though his line is scoring.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
At what point do we start to worry about his lack of production? He looks good when he isn't making dumb turnovers, but isn't producing. He gets lots of PP TOI, and has reasonably good linemates most of the time. He seems to have first line talent, but second line production, and not even high end second line scoring. He should not be tied with Brodin in scoring.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
At what point do we start to worry about his lack of production? He looks good when he isn't making dumb turnovers, but isn't producing. He gets lots of PP TOI, and has reasonably good linemates most of the time. He seems to have first line talent, but second line production, and not even high end second line scoring. He should not be tied with Brodin in scoring.

this is why i said bridge him for 4.5... hes not consistent.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
this is why i said bridge him for 4.5... hes not consistent.
You might be right. I love his speed, skill, and tenacity, but he's got to be more efficient, and stop making those high risk, low reward passes.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He's 3rd on the team in goals, so I don't know that his production is suffering all that much. He hasn't found the same chemistry with linemates that we see with Kaprizov/Zuccarello or Greenway/Eriksson-Ek, which I think has hurt him in the assist department. I'm hoping that he's got something brewing with Hartman, but we'll have to see.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota

He's a pretty high-volume shooter and a transition machine. Put him beside a capable playmaking center (Rossi?) and I don't have any problem with him at 5.5-6 per into his early 30s. Seems like a good contributing piece. I mean, we're calling this year a disappointment, and he's on a 30-goal pace. Scoring is always streaky; volume of chances is the key and Fiala generates them enough for me to be comfortable with him at the price I think he'll get.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He doesn't seem to get a lot of easy goals and points. Everything has to be highlight real stuff, which is a lot of fun to watch, but not what you can live on. He should be in his prime right now. Under .6 PPG is not something that he, or we, should be happy about.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not concerned in the slightest to be honest. Goal scoring rates are exactly on par with last year, 5v5 Assist rates are a little lower but still pretty good.

Lack of overall counting numbers are basically solely related to the power play issues. Which is at least partly just bad luck(along with a combo of system/player usage) which should rebound to some degree.

Reactions: MuckOG

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Fiala seems to sulk a bit when things aren't going his way....and when he is pressing, it definitely has impacted other parts of his game for the worse. That's why it was nice to see him start chipping in again the past few games....hopefully he continues to build on that.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
You might be right. I love his speed, skill, and tenacity, but he's got to be more efficient, and stop making those high risk, low reward passes.

I would call them high risk / high reward passes and I would argue the opposite. Turnovers rarely lead to goals against, especially with our defense and goal-tending. On the flip side, high danger chances are often converted to goals. The reason the Wild are scoring as well as they are and have as many high danger chances as they do is, to a large extent, the fact that Fiala/Kaprizov are pretty much always skating into or throwing pucks into high danger areas even if it doesn't always work out.

I also don't generally think he's had good linemates. That being said, he didn't really click when playing with Greenway/Ek but it's a little weird to say that Bjugstad/Parise/Hartman are quality linemates.

For what it's worth, it seems clear that Fiala has taken a step forward in playing a complete game.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Fiala is a takeaway machine and he's having problems getting the puck on the wing. imo he's playing like a frigging center on wing.

Ez fix. Zuccarello Fiala Kaprizov.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If Johansson is healthy, I would give him a run at LW across from Fiala, and then put Hartman in the middle, who adds some grit and playmaking. That should light Fiala up.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Johansson is healthy, I would give him a run at LW across from Fiala, and then put Hartman in the middle, who adds some grit and playmaking. That should light Fiala up.

I would put Fiala with Kaprizov and put Zuccarello and Johansson on Hartman's wings. Can you imagine Fiala getting passes like Zuccarello and Rask get every night? 50 goals. Easy.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I would put Fiala with Kaprizov and put Zuccarello and Johansson on Hartman's wings. Can you imagine Fiala getting passes like Zuccarello and Rask get every night? 50 goals. Easy.

Eh...no. You need to think whats best for the team, not make things worse because you're a fan of Fiala.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Doesn't Fiala get to play with Kaprizov and Lizard on the PP? How's that working out?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Doesn't Fiala get to play with Kaprizov and Lizard on the PP? How's that working out?

This would be a good point if you thought the reason our power play sucks is because Kaprizov and Fiala play on it together and not for another reason(s).

As presented though, it's not a good point.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s scoring at a similar pace to last year 5v5. He was a deadly powerplay producer last year, this year he’s losing production due to an inept powerplay and decreased PP time overall. Not concerned about him nearly as much as I am about the powerplay on this team. I don’t really have any doubts that he’s a 1st line caliber player.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I would call them high risk / high reward passes and I would argue the opposite. Turnovers rarely lead to goals against, especially with our defense and goal-tending. On the flip side, high danger chances are often converted to goals. The reason the Wild are scoring as well as they are and have as many high danger chances as they do is, to a large extent, the fact that Fiala/Kaprizov are pretty much always skating into or throwing pucks into high danger areas even if it doesn't always work out.

I also don't generally think he's had good linemates. That being said, he didn't really click when playing with Greenway/Ek but it's a little weird to say that Bjugstad/Parise/Hartman are quality linemates.

For what it's worth, it seems clear that Fiala has taken a step forward in playing a complete game.
I generally agree but a couple of his passes last night definitely fell into the high risk low reward category, which was the main issue he had early on with us. Just one game but it was definitely an off one for him. Overall think his play has been good but not great this season, room for improvement but he’s not that far off from his stellar play last year.

ODoyle

Mar 1, 2020
Fiala has definitely been the biggest disappointment of the year for me. I get that he’s looked better than his stats, but he needs to start producing. His next contract is going to be interesting.

Reactions: KaprizovEntitlelist

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Fiala has definitely been the biggest disappointment of the year for me. I get that he’s looked better than his stats, but he needs to start producing. His next contract is going to be interesting.

I was thinking would you trade him for Conor Garland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad