Kevin Fiala, reborn (23 points in last 10 games)

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
No, almost everyone liked moving Granlund. They just thought it was weak to do it straight up without any add. At the time, you’d have to be Kevin Fiala’s mom not to think “that’s all they got for Granlund?”

We also need to consider the value in getting a younger player that is still cost-controlled versus one that was 1.5 years away from being a UFA. Isn't that alone worth a draft pick?

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
We also need to consider the value in getting a younger player that is still cost-controlled versus one that was 1.5 years away from being a UFA. Isn't that alone worth a draft pick?
That’s what make the trade sensible from the team standpoint. But that doesn’t account for the inability to get value. You’ll recall the reported eyebrows that were raised among GMs at the time.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Happy to see him rebound and continue on his development curve. After his sophomore year it looked like he was going to become an elite winger.

He had a bit of a set back but glad to see him back on his way.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
I'm happy for him, I've always been a fan. One of my favourite drafts in recent memory was 2014 because to me, it was the year of the undersized, supremely skilled winger with jam. Robby Fabbri, Kevin Fiala, Willie Nylander, David Pastrnak and Nikolaj Ehlers.

All of those guys have become stars except for Fabbri, who I think would have been one if not for his injuries (and hopefully he can still get there).

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Chatting with Zach Parise: Joking with rivals and kids,...
Fiala’s become a popular fixture in Parise’s household.

He said that his daughter has so much affection for the Wild’s budding star, “at their school, they did a local sports hero thing and they all know that the twins are my kids, so I’d say 90 percent of them wrote that ‘Zach Parise’ is their favorite,” Parise said. “Except my daughter. She wrote Kevin Fiala. That’s how things are going in our household right now. He’s been playing awesome.”

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
54 points in last 57 games. The most impressive part for me is the fact that he’s doing this without any elite offensive talent around him. I think he can break 80 points next year, especially if we get another capable top 6 C.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
is this the same streak he was on or is he starting a new one?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Poor Nashville. How many of their big trades have worked out for them?

Jones for Johansen - I think everyone knew that Jones would be the better player, but more was expected out of Johansen at this point.
Girard and co. for Turris - another top 4 young Dman moved for a C that has not played the way they hoped
Weber for Subban - was supposed to be a clear win given the age gap and term left but they opted to move off Subban and now bear the risk of recapture down the line
Fiala for Granlund - Granny just has not meshed in Nashville. Good player and had a very good track record with Minny. Just never found his game in Nashville. Fiala, Nashville had hopes for, but they must have felt that Granny would put them over the top now.

Reactions: 7even

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Jones for Johansen - I think everyone knew that Jones would be the better player, but more was expected out of Johansen at this point.
Girard and co. for Turris - another top 4 young Dman moved for a C that has not played the way they hoped
Weber for Subban - was supposed to be a clear win given the age gap and term left but they opted to move off Subban and now bear the risk of recapture down the line
Fiala for Granlund - Granny just has not meshed in Nashville. Good player and had a very good track record with Minny. Just never found his game in Nashville. Fiala, Nashville had hopes for, but they must have felt that Granny would put them over the top now.
Forsberg for Erat looks fine, though. Has Poile run his course?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

In fairness they did make the SCF with Subban & Johansen. Long term they've flamed out, but that's a pretty good bar for success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad