Kevin Fiala, reborn (23 points in last 10 games)

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Hated the trade then and I hate it now. Incredibly frustrating to quit on a guy with that much potential. He would be not only invaluable to us this year, but financially he would've been an ideal fit for a Nashville team that is suddenly having to make difficult roster decisions.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think that popular take is BS. Why would Nashville trade this guy? He is the kind of player you build around. And now the end game approaches, and perhaps Granlund walks and Nashville is left with nothing. Years of control was a huge part of the trade.

At the time of the trade Fiala was a one dimensional scorer who was probably our worse defensive player. Mikael Granlund was only 26 and his previous two seasons would have been the 5th and 7th best offensive season our team has ever had. Nobody could have imagined that Granlund would go from 60 points a year to playing like an AHLer under Laviolette.

Rumored attitude issues when Fiala was sent down that culminated in fighting Arvidsson in practice made it a lot easier to move on from him despite his potential, and picking up Granlund should have been a no brainer.

Glad to see him grow as a person and a player, sad it couldn't have been with us.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some rumblings that Wild wouldn't be able to / didn't want to extend Granlund for what he was rumored to ask?

They didn't even try to negotiate ala Burns. But yes, the rumor was I think around 7-8 million.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
One of the reasons the Wild have done so poorly in the playoffs is that they lacked that dynamic scorer who could get them over the hump in close games. Fiala looks like he is on the cusp of becoming that player. They still have work to do to become a contender (center and goaltending) but they may only be a couple pieces away. They already have a top tier blue line. Fiala's emergence along with the addition of Kaprizov could make this a short rebuild.

PuckThumper11

Nov 6, 2019
Was scratched earlier in the year, but now has 13 points in last 14 games while being our best forward for a while now. Has been flashing skills that wild fans haven’t seen out of a player in a long long time.

I watched this guy the other night against Columbus. He's definitely a special talent. He's going places for sure...

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I can't see Fiala without thinking of this kid.

Sleepless-in-Seattle-Ross-Malinger.jpg

Reactions: TaLoN

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So the guy who had no idea and was ridiculed for this trade was right all along. Amazing.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
So the guy who had no idea and was ridiculed for this trade was right all along. Amazing.

Yeah...neat. There's one in a row.

If Donato can figure it out, that'd be great. Luckily he's still pretty damn young. Hopefully he pulls a Fiala and flips the switch. Til that happens though, Fiala is about the only Fenton-ism that's worked out and that was iffy for a bit there.

And Rask...that's all kinds of lost cause...

So, 1 out of 3 doesn't exactly keep you in the majors.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Yeah...neat. There's one in a row.

If Donato can figure it out, that'd be great. Luckily he's still pretty damn young. Hopefully he pulls a Fiala and flips the switch. Til that happens though, Fiala is about the only Fenton-ism that's worked out and that was iffy for a bit there.

And Rask...that's all kinds of lost cause...

So, 1 out of 3 doesn't exactly keep you in the majors.
1 out of 3 is plenty if that one is HOF. This will be a decade of fun. Elite offensive skill. Top 5 in the NHL. Enjoy the ride.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->