Kevin Dineen

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Hey guys,

Leafs fan here. I was just wondering if you could provide me and other Leafs fans who are curious with some insight on Dineen. What type of coach is he? What are his pro's and con's? What type of players does he need to be a good fit? How is he with the media (which is important in Toronto) and etc...

Thanks.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Well the players here eventually tuned him out due to his hard-ass style.

He was successful in the AHL, and the thought was that he could work with our young players and be "successful".

The lockout year was a cluster****, and I don't blame him for that. It's hard to get a true perspective how he did here due to the injuries and cap strapped budgets from above.
The year we made the playoffs was due to a hot start, and the first line clicking. Then they barely made the playoffs after that line cooled off and injuries to top players.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think Dineen's biggest flaw was that he didn't really have a system (outside of wanting to play a puck possession game), and the inability to adapt to the roster he was provided with.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Took team to playoffs his lst yr as coach after 12 year franchise drought.
Strike season was an injury disaster.
Horrible start with horrible team this yr.
Any questions whether that was on him answered by equally horrible remaining season by interim coach, altho both have made their share of rookie errors.

Certainly undisputed leader as a player Should be judged with scrutiny next go around.

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Accomplished a pretty nice feat in taking us to the playoffs, but then, the team regressed next season. Finally, he lost complete control of the room this year. Fiery guy and an in your face kind of coach. You probably don't want to hear this, but Dineen isn't gonna save your franchise, imo. The problems stem beyond the coach.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys but I was hoping to get more of a systematic analysis if anyone could provide me with one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad