Kevin Dallman - the KHL clone of Bobby Orr

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Kevin Dallman played in KHL 266 games and collected 87 goals and 143 assists (230 points). For a defenceman it is a great performance, especially the goals statistics. Many forwards could be jealous.
What is the secret weapon of this guy? Because, when i look to his history, something similar he had only in his junior seasons. In AHL or in NHL he was not so productive.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Unless you change the title of your topic a lot of posters will come here to bash Dallman. I like Kevin, accuracy of his shot is fantastic, he has hunch on goals. These allows him to prosper on a PP. He is not good skater, he is not big. That's why KHL suits him better.
From what I've seen of highlights of Bobby Orr, he was more complete player, he could score coast-to-coast goals. They are too different players

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As od71 mentioned although he's very productive, his a style of play is not really similar to Orr's or even Karlsson's. Great shooter and passer but lacks that electrifying speed which superstar NA offensive defensemen have.

The thing which od71 got wrong is that actually Dallman is really good skater (not great by any means, but good), he just lacks that top gear and he most probably wouldn't be in the KHL if he had one. He's very smooth and mobile and that's exactly what let's him to put up those numbers and move the puck efficiently. I would say his skating is pretty much the main reason he survives in the defensive zone too.

does he know how to play D? I remember him as a rook, he had NHL offensive talent, but defensively - what a liability.

He's decent. Obviously size is an issue but otherwise he's not lost in the defensive zone and as long as you don't ask him to shut down Ak Bars' top line he's not that much of a liability.

To put it all together - he lacks size and speed to be a top-4 D in the NHL and nobody wants that type of player in bottom pairing. But less physical and slower tempo KHL is perfect for him to excel.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
As od71 mentioned although he's very productive, his a style of play is not really similar to Orr's or even Karlsson's. Great shooter and passer but lacks that electrifying speed which superstar NA offensive defensemen have.

The thing which od71 got wrong is that actually Dallman is really good skater (not great by any means, but good), he just lacks that top gear and he most probably wouldn't be in the KHL if he had one. He's very smooth and mobile and that's exactly what let's him to put up those numbers and move the puck efficiently. I would say his skating is pretty much the main reason he survives in the defensive zone too.

He's decent. Obviously size is an issue but otherwise he's not lost in the defensive zone and as long as you don't ask him to shut down Ak Bars' top line he's not that much of a liability.

To put it all together - he lacks size and speed to be a top-4 D in the NHL and nobody wants that type of player in bottom pairing. But less physical and slower tempo KHL is perfect for him to excel.

I can't see mentioning Dallman and Orr in the same breath. Orr's MO was to take the puck behind his net and then launch off on an end-to-end rush. Everyone knew what he was going to do, but no one could stop him (at least before his knee injury). At full speed, he would make a hard fake to the inside, then instantly accelerate and blow by everyone to the outside. More similar to Kharlamov than to Dallman.

Domen

Feb 18, 2013
Well, Dallman has the best +/- coefficient in the entire league so he must be at least very good in defense this year too.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, Dallman has the best +/- coefficient in the entire league so he must be at least very good in defense this year too.

+/- doesn't mean all that much. I mean Drew Doughty has league worst -10 while playing really solid hockey. In Dallman's case he has to say thank you for all the great two-way forwards he's playing with. Like Patrick Thoresen who is +17 playing 10 minutes per game less.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

+/- coef is not really the best way to determine if player is good defensively or not,it depends on so much more-anticipation,positioning,physical play,on ice awareness etc,etc.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
+/- doesn't mean all that much. I mean Drew Doughty has league worst -10 while playing really solid hockey. In Dallman's case he has to say thank you for all the great two-way forwards he's playing with. Like Patrick Thoresen who is +17 playing 10 minutes per game less.

Posted at the same time,great minds think alike :sarcasm: :handclap:

Domen

Feb 18, 2013
Eh, I am not saying that he has been defensively amazing (though I can't judge, haven't seen many SKA games) but a bad defenseman isn't going to lead the league in +/-. The fact that he was pretty bad in his own zone 6-7 years ago when he played in NHL doesn't mean that he should be bad now, players tend to improve.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
actually Dallman is really good skater (not great by any means, but good), he just lacks that top gear and he most probably wouldn't be in the KHL if he had one. He's very smooth and mobile and that's exactly what let's him to put up those numbers and move the puck efficiently. I would say his skating is pretty much the main reason he survives in the defensive zone too.

His speed is well below avg. That already puts him as an average skater. He can't breeze through opponents using his speed for example unlike Coffi. Definitely not great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->