OT: Kevin Bieksa throws a(nother) superman punch

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
bieksa-superman.gif

member 290103

I like Bieksa, but I always found his toughness a bit overrated, especially with regard to fighting. I think someone said he won 80% of his fights on hockeyfights.com? That was surprising to me, unless he was a spot picker.

I think the thing with him is, he is a bit light to be contending with the real tough guys in the NHL. I still remember that time he through down with Ben Eager and EAger picked him up and tossed him around like he was a pillow.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I like Bieksa, but I always found his toughness a bit overrated, especially with regard to fighting. I think someone said he won 80% of his fights on hockeyfights.com? That was surprising to me, unless he was a spot picker.

I think the thing with him is, he is a bit light to be contending with the real tough guys in the NHL. I still remember that time he through down with Ben Eager and EAger picked him up and tossed him around like he was a pillow.

disagree.

been following him since 2005, up until he went to the Ducks, Bieska was always a fighter and was considered the "middle weight champion" in the AHL. He made it to the NHL as a full time dman in 06 07, where he known as an effective defensemen and one hell of a fighter. The "middle weight champion" was no lie as he kept on K O People. Now is he an eforncer, he will fight other middle weights as people his weight class I guess. Kinda like what Rick Rypien did. Bieksa stands at 6'1 less then 200 lbs. He fought so much and won many fights, but the team didn't really want him to be utilized as a fighter, so we brought in Jeff Cowan.

Bieska was always known as a deadly fighter.

I don't think he's a cherry picker. Cherry picker for example will be Matt Martin of the Maple Leafs. Why him? He jumps 5'10 180 lb Troy Stecher. Bieska will never do anything like that he will make sure the other combatant is ready to fight.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bieksa was a spot-picker in that he didn't like fighting other team's goons ... but I don't think you can really blame a guy his size for that. As opposed to a guy like Brashear who was one of the biggest, best fighters in the league and still a spot-picker.

Funny seeing him superman punch a Flyer again after he nailed Mike Richards in the same way about a decade ago.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've always felt that Bieksa's reputation as a great fighter for his weight class was entirely warranted, and his reputation as a spot-picker was unwarranted. You're not a spot-picker simply because you don't go above and beyond your weight class. In that sense, virtually everybody is a spot picker.

However, the area in his game that I've always found overstated was his physical presence. He really was never much of a physical presence on the ice, IMO, except on occasions when he became frustrated or the game looked out of reach. And by that point, they looked more like wreckless, out of character temper tantrums than anything useful. I'm not saying he was soft and got pushed around or anything, but he was significantly less physical on the ice than guys like Stanton, Mitchell, or even Rome for example.

It always seemed to me like people just looked at his tough-guy demeanor, willingness to fight, yap, and get into scrums, and automatically assumed that he was a great aggressive physical player or something.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've always felt that Bieksa's reputation as a great fighter for his weight class was entirely warranted, and his reputation as a spot-picker was unwarranted. You're not a spot-picker simply because you don't go above and beyond your weight class. In that sense, virtually everybody is a spot picker.

However, the area in his game that I've always found overstated was his physical presence. He really was never much of a physical presence on the ice, IMO, except on occasions when he became frustrated or the game looked out of reach. And by that point, they looked more like wreckless, out of character temper tantrums than anything useful. I'm not saying he was soft and got pushed around or anything, but he was significantly less physical on the ice than guys like Stanton, Mitchell, or even Rome for example.

It always seemed to me like people just looked at his tough-guy demeanor, willingness to fight, yap, and get into scrums, and automatically assumed that he was a great aggressive physical player or something.

Agreed. He was a great fighter and 'good in scrums' but he was never any sort of physically imposing player or bodychecker of any note during play when the clock was actually running. He was basically a mobile skill defender that happened to be good at fighting.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Solid summation Shareef. The spot picker label is hilarious when you go through his fight card, but yeah, never a bit hitter or overly physical player. Dude was pretty slim also and not a super powerful guy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bieksa was a spot-picker in that he didn't like fighting other team's goons ... but I don't think you can really blame a guy his size for that. As opposed to a guy like Brashear who was one of the biggest, best fighters in the league and still a spot-picker.

Funny seeing him superman punch a Flyer again after he nailed Mike Richards in the same way about a decade ago.
When you play 20 minutes a game, why should you be fighting a goon who plays 5 minutes a game? No reason to do that imo.

Just say to the goon, fight you when you show your coach you are worth double digit minutes a game.

Reactions: Toxic0n

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Being salty and triggered of the notion that Bieksa can be a bit of spotpicker is the only thing hilarious here.

Agreed with this wholeheartedly.

He is a great fighter given his size though. He has ragdolled Gudas, Penner and Boyle. Guys that are over half his size.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
MS and Shareefruck both with solid points.

Bieksa is a damn good fighter. He also picks his spots (picked them a lot more as a staple in our top four), because why would he take himself out of the game to fight some two minute a night goon?

But his scraps were almost always good for full entertainment value. Love seeing him mad, too. As said above, Grumpy Bieksa is fun to watch.

Also, Radko Gudas is a cheapshot artist, so that adds an element of fun to the scrap.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I just counted all of Bieksa fight on hockeyfights.com since 2005/2006. So Regular season and playoffs. I didn't count preseason.

34 W 10 L 6 tie

So let me correct myself. He wins 68 % of his fights and only loses 20% of his fights.

I always wanted to see a Bieksa and Iginla fight. But not going to happen.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Agreed. He was a great fighter and 'good in scrums' but he was never any sort of physically imposing player or bodychecker of any note during play when the clock was actually running. He was basically a mobile skill defender that happened to be good at fighting.

I remember so many times when the Sedins are in a scrum getting rough up. Bieksa will just fly in there and protect the Sedins.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This player is wearing 2. Is this last year? I see Bieksa in 3 in the recent fight vids.

Clayton Stoner was with the Ducks last year, and he wore 3. Stoner got picked up by Vegas in the expansion draft, so 3 freed up, and Bieksa took it this year.

Looks much better on ol' KB3.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

That's the part of Bieksa I really miss!

Looks like he broke a knuckle... too bad.
Adds to their injury woes.. this part i don't care about.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I disagree. A pissed off in his prime Bieksa is one of the best pound for pound fighters around. Ya he's not a huge guy but his fight card include guys like Wayne Simmonds, BJ Crombeen, Brian Boyle, Jamal Mayers, Barnaby etc. Bieksa doesn't really pick his spots. When he's pissed off, he will fight anyone outside of a guy like Derek Boogaard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad