Kevin Bieksa Performance

dustyrockon

Feb 25, 2009
Okay so I'm curious what the deal is with him this season? Statistically he is doing terribly...
admitingly I dont watch the nucks play often, so I dont know what his on ixce performance is like...? And I know hes been up and down statisticaly over the last few seasons. but is there a specific reason for this?

someone enlighten me please.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
There's casual kev, who doesn't bear down and make the tough plays, doesn't make safe passes, etc. And then there's beast mode Bieksa, which we saw in the San Jose series in the 2011 playoff run. When he plays with confidence and plays with an edge he is at his best.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I cringe every time I see him on the ice, just anticipating what dumb thing he's going to do next. IMO, he was terrible last season too.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Always hated Bieksa the hockey player.

Only plays well when it came to contract time.

Other than that he's crap.

Seems like a great guy off the ice.

LolClarkson*

I cringe every time I see him on the ice, just anticipating what dumb thing he's going to do next. IMO, he was terrible last season too.

I mentioned trading him for Hemsky or Eberle somehow and everyone thought I was crazy.

May 31, 2006
This is very odd for Bieksa, because he's usually our most consistent and reliable defender.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Bieksa is a strong, nasty defenseman who can win puck battles, clear the crease, punch it up with other middleweights and occasionally dash around the ice. He's the total package. Unfortunately, he's the total package about 50% of the time, and the other 50% he's a disaster.

However you kind of need those "mean in the corners" guys in the playoffs when the whistles get swallowed. Tanev and Hamhuis aren't scaring anyone, and Edler hasn't really played a particularly physical game since he blew up his back a couple of years ago. Bieksa IS the snarl on the blueline. You kind of have to put up with his brain farts, or find someone you think can fill the same niche for the same money. Which in today's market could be pretty hard to do.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He brings some grit that we need desperately on the backend, but this year he has been horrible, absolutely horrible.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
He's had a groin injury, hasn't had a steady partner but still plays the toughest minutes on our team. Underrated.

John Bender*

He is simply not a very good defenseman. He earned his contract off his 2011 playoff run. Prior to that, it was a forgone conclusion that he would be traded prior to Salo's injury.

Were it not for his leadership, I'd prefer it if they dealt him. His only on ice upside is his offensive abilities. His toughness is overrated. He is overpaid.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
Why hasn't he been re-united with Hamhuis yet? Garrison is playing the right side with Hamhuis, theoretically Garrison should be able to slot back with Edler. Edler must be injured though, and considering Garrison's good job at handling heavy assignments, maybe the coaches feel Edler couldn't handle the heavy lifting?

Strange, considering HamJuice was our strongest pairing...

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
garrison and edler suck together because they're both too slow, would be surprised to see those two together for an extended time ever again

John Bender*

Bieksa is a strong, nasty defenseman who can win puck battles, clear the crease, punch it up with other middleweights and occasionally dash around the ice. He's the total package.

Wow, really? I'd say he is a scowling light middleweight that rarely fights now and is completely inept in his own end.

His only redeeming qualities to me are his occasional offensive flair and his character. His play without the puck is comical. He make so many mistakes on the ice you tear your hair out watching him.

John Bender*

Why hasn't he been re-united with Hamhuis yet? Garrison is playing the right side with Hamhuis, theoretically Garrison should be able to slot back with Edler. Edler must be injured though, and considering Garrison's good job at handling heavy assignments, maybe the coaches feel Edler couldn't handle the heavy lifting?

Hamhuis has been pretty inconsistent this year too.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
This is very odd for Bieksa, because he's usually our most consistent and reliable defender.

Genuine lols, good by you.

Perhaps it had something to do with the struggles of Hamhuis early on? I'd definitely like to see HamJuice tried again now, and Garrison on Edler's right side.

dustyrockon

Feb 25, 2009
ive noticed Bieksa plays a lot of minutes each game, at least over the last few games... but by the sound of everyone maybe he should be getting less minutes, or maybe get benched for a game and have the coach talk to him about his inconsistant ways...

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
ive noticed Bieksa plays a lot of minutes each game, at least over the last few games... but by the sound of everyone maybe he should be getting less minutes, or maybe get benched for a game and have the coach talk to him about his inconsistant ways...

Or maybe the coach that's playing him all those minutes knows a little more than fans on a message board?

Jefe88

Jun 20, 2012
Port Coquitlam

AV's favs strike again. He was awful tonight, just don't understand how his play can just do a complete 180.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
As others have said in one way or another, he needs to get angry. One hopes he gets serious once the playoffs start

Lundface*

Unless its a contract year, the guy looks lost on the ice. Makes tons of bad reads defensively and makes a lot of careless mistakes with and without the puck. On the other hand he seems like a wonderful human being and is well liked in the room

cc

Feb 28, 2002
The simple fact is that they can't seem to win often without him. A lot of people complain about his play but he still plays better than Edler and he's a much needed physical right shot dman

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
The simple fact is that they can't seem to win often without him. A lot of people complain about his play but he still plays better than Edler and he's a much needed physical right shot dman

Lol, I don't think so. I see him handcuffing Edler whenever they're paired together way more than the other way around.

TheDiver*

Hamhuis has been horrible too.

I think he's having an off-year.

He's still a solid player and a leader on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->