Kevin Bieksa appreciation thread

Grabtastic

Aug 10, 2006
Vancouver
You guys need to stop it.

We can all agree he wasn't good for awhile. But he's great now and a big part of the team.

Why can't we get along?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I don't care...post it if you like. I'm curious to see what I said. I'm sure I've said some inflammatory things but I can imagine there isn't a lot of context to it spattered around.

I believe he was terrible. YMMV.
Let's just drop it and shake hands. Alright?

People will disagree. Doesn't mean we can't put this stuff aside and pull for the common goal. We both do want that.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The irrational posters were the ones that tried to defend Bieksa's play the past couple of years. When 85% of the posters--including virtually all the ones that the consensus would say "knows what they speak of"--you have to question how rational the evaluation of the 15% was.

Its great that Bieksa is playing great NOW but that doesn't make your past analysis from when he wasn't any more rational.

With that said, since everyojne agrees Bieksa is playinng probably the best hockey of his career, and we're 10 wins into a playoff run, and this is the Bieksa appreciation thread, let's leave past comments as water under the bridge and get back to appreciating Bieksallent.

I want us to get up by three+ so KB can give Eager the Marleau special!

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
The irrational posters were the ones that tried to defend Bieksa's play the past couple of years. When 85% of the posters--including virtually all the ones that the consensus would say "knows what they speak of"--you have to question how rational the evaluation of the 15% was.

Its great that Bieksa is playing great NOW but that doesn't make your past analysis from when he wasn't any more rational.

With that said, since everyojne agrees Bieksa is playinng probably the best hockey of his career, and we're 10 wins into a playoff run, and this is the Bieksa appreciation thread, let's leave past comments as water under the bridge and get back to appreciating Bieksallent.

You had to do it didn't you. :madfire:

I don't recall anyone at all saying Bieksa was playing up to his standards. He clearly wasn't. What I do recall was people magnifying the slightest mistake he might make or putting the blame on him for something that clearly wasn't his fault. I can't recall who it was, but there was a guy who would refute these people by putting up screencaps with added lines explaining how the play developed and how it wasn't Bieksa's fault for whatever happened. The guy clearly knew his stuff and took the time to explain and draw out what really happened. Some people would see the light and agree but others of course would not. They were so wrapped up in their belief that everything Bieksa touched turned to **** that they could not rationalize any other explanation.

So if I am one of those people who defended Bieksa under those circumstances you can call me guilty.

That's it. I'm done with the negativity. I just had to answer to that.

Last edited:

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Like you went out and did this detailed statistical analysis that found 85% of the people were agreeing with your over the top criticism of the Bieksa

Fact is that many started early in the season recognizing that Bieksa play was picking up. Many began to realize that your hyperbolic irrationality about Bieksa was little more than scapegoating and hardly reflected how Bieksa was actually playing

And fact is that if you go back and look at those threads you can see how idiotic you and few others now look.

Many such as Luc bourdon and others had the class to come back and admit they were wrong about Bieksa but you seem to persist in the line that somehow you were justified in your constant criticism long past the point when it was becoming obvious that Bieksa was having a very good season. In the end the only thing you became committed to was trying to somehow justified your zany personal attacks on Bieksa

Why don't you just man up and admit that you went far too far in your criticism of Bieksa.

And who cares if 85 or 95 or whatever number you draw out of hat jumped were on the Bieksa hate wagon. Your opinion should be justified by the support you can provide and not based upon what the going opinion is. This "I went along with the crowd so I must be right" argument shows nothing but shallowness and inability to think for yourself.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I remember when a lot of you said we should put him on the waiver wire lol

Very few actually said we should waive him, but some of us, myself included, said we should trade him. At the time, I think it would have been good. He was horrible the past 2 years, and was pretty bad to start the year. He has however really picked it up and been one of our best defencemen since, and I'm glad we didn't. I just hope he can keep it up when he gets his shiny new contract.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I was saying back in October, that while I had criticized his play in the past, I saw him playing much, much better. But people were still (obviously based on the last 2 seasons) hyper criticizing his play. I even went as far as video capturing and annotating goals that were blamed on him and showing where they were other players (Henriks in one case, Ballard's in an other) breakdowns.

If Edler hadn't got injured, he would have easily been our best blue liner this year, but with Edler missing so much play, Bieksa has been our best defender this year.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I was saying back in October, that while I had criticized his play in the past, I saw him playing much, much better. But people were still (obviously based on the last 2 seasons) hyper criticizing his play.

Yep, we've got long and sometimes unforgiving memories when it comes to players under performing.

It's why Lou still gets crapped on by some. I think a lot of it is out of line, but I too get quite nervous on odd man rushes and when there's scrambly play in front of the net.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I was saying back in October, that while I had criticized his play in the past, I saw him playing much, much better. But people were still (obviously based on the last 2 seasons) hyper criticizing his play. I even went as far as video capturing and annotating goals that were blamed on him and showing where they were other players (Henriks in one case, Ballard's in an other) breakdowns.

If Edler hadn't got injured, he would have easily been our best blue liner this year, but with Edler missing so much play, Bieksa has been our best defender this year.

Maybe for the playoffs (and that's a huge maybe), but Ehrhoff and Hamhuis had a better regular season than Bieksa did.

For all the praise Bieksa is getting, Hamhuis is still the anchor on that pairing. And 50 point defensemen don't grow on trees. Bieksa had an underwhelming season offensively, and despite what you say, got off to a rocky start before turning things around in November.

Ehrhoff should still be the number one signing target for Vancouver. He's been much more consistent than Bieksa over the past two seasons.

YouCantYandleThis*

Maybe for the playoffs (and that's a huge maybe), but Ehrhoff and Hamhuis had a better regular season than Bieksa did.

For all the praise Bieksa is getting, Hamhuis is still the anchor on that pairing. And 50 point defensemen don't grow on trees. Bieksa had an underwhelming season offensively, and despite what you say, got off to a rocky start before turning things around in November.

Ehrhoff should still be the number one signing target for Vancouver. He's been much more consistent than Bieksa over the past two seasons.

I think many people here don't understand exactly how much Ehrhoff means to our blueline. Nobody runs the offensive zone even CLOSE to as well as him on our blueline. Bieksa isn't terribly smart, Edler makes some rookie mistakes from time to time still, and we don't know about Ballard. Salo can do just fine, but he's not gonna be around too much longer.

You let Ehrhoff walk, you say goodbye to 50-60 of that 200 points Gillis wants from the blueline. You say goodbye to your number 1 power-play unit.

You let Bieksa walk? We have players that can come in and fill some of his role. Who can fill in 60 points and a being one of the league's best PPQB's?

Ideally, I'd love to keep them both of course.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
You let Ehrhoff walk, you say goodbye to 50-60 of that 200 points Gillis wants from the blueline. You say goodbye to your number 1 power-play unit.

There is a lot of talk on the Sharks board of moving Heatly's salary in the off season for a puck moving Dman. The ironing is delicious.

If Ehrhoff ends up signing with SJ as a UFA we lost Patrick White for nothing! :sarcasm:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

The thing is, we all knew how good he was when healthy in 06/07 and in 08/09. He was just THAT bad last year, so many forgot.

He is healthy, and he is a beast. Pure and simple.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
^ i think, as bad as the bieksa hate got (and i was as mad at him as anyone, though less vocal than many here), a lot of us still wanted to like him. or at least we hated to hate him. most of us remembered the bieksa who came into the league, and on top of that, the guys in the room love him, he's a great interview, seems like a great team guy. tries hard, plays physical, stands up for his teammates, wins fights. when firing on all cylinders like he has been this spring, he's the epitome of a fan favourite, and we all knew he could be that player because he had been in the past (whether or not he could ever actually get back to this point was less certain).

it's easy for people to hate on the sedins or luongo. i think it was hard to hate on bieksa.

The thing is, we all knew how good he was when healthy in 06/07 and in 08/09. He was just THAT bad last year, so many forgot.

you're right, he was just that bad. the bieksa hate was gradual. he had to literally cost us games two years ago before it really was a full-on hate. all luongo has to do let in more than two goals in a game. all henrik has to do is pass up two open shots in a period. hell, i wouldn't be surprised if in the two seconds between not shooting on that two on one and threading through niemi to burrows, some people turned on henrik again.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I'm in the camp that he wasn't playing as bad as people made it out to be. If you look at his game, it's much the same. The guy has good offensive instincts and the wheels to jump up into the play. He plays physical, especially on the wall. He makes a good first pass out of the zone. He has a good stick defensively.

His problems in the past were few but glaring. He went on a run there when every mistake he made seemed to end up in the back of the net. He also pressed when the team wasn't playing well and compounded the teams problems. He's doing a better job not trying to force things. He's making the safe play to clear the puck out of the zone when a direct pass isn't there. He's better at picking out his spots to pinch. Really, we are talking about one or two plays a game that he was forcing that he no longer is.

Physically, he's much more imposing then the last couple years. He was in a habit of pushing rather than hitting with his legs. It's hard to say why, but his injuries may have had something to do with it. Guys a beast right now though. When a guy goes into a corner with Bieksa, regardless how big they are, they pay a price.

I stuck up for him in the past because I felt like his game wasn't far from being very good. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the injuries and because I felt like his upside was too high to give up on him. It doesn't matter whether he was getting a fair shake before, if you were one of the many that said he would be addition by subtraction or that he had the worst hockey IQ in history or that he was Pejorative Slured defensively, you were dead wrong. Admit it and move on.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
All those who criticized Bieksa need to go stand in the corner for awhile.

A legendary goal tonite.
Hes not without mistakes like any player although his get over analyzed to death.

But he has had a monster playoffs.

Big hits, his 5 goals if I am not mistaken have all been big goals. Hes a plus 10.

But yet its everything to do with Hamhuis........

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Hes not without mistakes like any player although his get over analyzed to death.

But he has had a monster playoffs.

Big hits, his 5 goals if I am not mistaken have all been big goals. Hes a plus 10.

But yet its everything to do with Hamhuis........

He's been every bit as good as Hamhuis, maybe even better.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Enjoy the ride and worry about this stuff later. Gillis has a track record of finding creative ways to get things done.

You dream of a player having a game like he just had.

37 minutes TOI, 1 g, 2 SOG, plus-3.

Thank heavens for Sami's weak achilles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad