Kevin Bieksa appreciation thread

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
His turnaround has been amazing. Like night and day. He was my least fave Canuck for a good 40 or 50 games, and has been one of my favourite Canucks for 40 or 50 games after that. So glad to see him playing better. Heck, he isn't just playing better, he's DOMINATING.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Been saying since about Jan/Feb that I've never been as wrong about a player as I was about Bieksa. There's no doubt he wasn't very good at all the last few seasons, but I never gave him the credit to be this mentally resilient and really turn it around. He's been fantastic this season and an absolute stud in the playoffs.

I think he'll re-sign. Go Go Gadget Gillis.

Edit: Also, I don't think LostMyGlasses is around here anymore, but if he still reads, props to him for sticking up for Bieksa. Didn't agree with LMG a lot but he was right about this one for sure.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Been saying since about Jan/Feb that I've never been as wrong about a player as I was about Bieksa. There's no doubt he wasn't very good at all the last few seasons, but I never gave him the credit to be this mentally resilient and really turn it around. He's been fantastic this season and an absolute stud in the playoffs.

Edit: Also, I don't think LostMyGlasses is around here anymore, but if he still reads, props to him for sticking up for Bieksa. Didn't agree with LMG a lot but he was right about this one for sure.
Now that you mention it, I don't think he is. Forgot about the guy. He was as much of a lightning rod around here as Bieksa was.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I think I read somewhere that LMG was banned. Could be wrong, though.

If I had to make a choice between Bieksa and Ehrhoff, I would now choose Bieksa. I never thought I'd say that at the start of the season.

I'll admit I finally went to the dark side last offseason, but only because I didn't think we could have got through the year without trading a defender. He seemed the obvious choice, but thankfully Salo and Edler came to the rescue.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
His turnaround has been amazing. Like night and day. He was my least fave Canuck for a good 40 or 50 games, and has been one of my favourite Canucks for 40 or 50 games after that. So glad to see him playing better. Heck, he isn't just playing better, he's DOMINATING.

In the beginning of the season I was seeing words like "pylon" thrown around, and people were even talking about firing AV for letting the guy play. Where are the critics now?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I think I read somewhere that LMG was banned. Could be wrong, though.

If I had to make a choice between Bieksa and Ehrhoff, I would now choose Bieksa. I never thought I'd say that at the start of the season.

I'll admit I finally went to the dark side last offseason, but only because I didn't think we could have got through the year without trading a defender. He seemed the obvious choice, but thankfully Salo and Edler came to the rescue.
I was foolish enough to suggest that Salo would be better to get rid of than Bieksa. Took a lot of heat for that. Love Salo, but he's not getting any younger and we all know his history. And yes I know he has a NTC. I was just making a point.

In the beginning of the season I was seeing words like "pylon" thrown around, and people were even talking about firing AV for letting the guy play. Where are the critics now?
One of them (t*****s) was put on my ignore list by the mods and I was put on his ignore list. I didn't know they could do that but they did it in the interest of peace around here. He's still on it although he doesn't show up in my profile.

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

We're eating crow. I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong and it's even better when I'm wrong in a way that turns out good for the Canucks.

Similarly, I will be the first to admit that Rome has been, relatively to his skillset, exceptional against the Sharks. I would not remove him from the line-up for Ballard right now.

Whenever possible I try to be critical in a reasonable way. For example, to start the year I said that I disagreed with a number of things AV has done/was doing, but that I wanted to see two things from the Canucks:

1.) get 110+ points and a top-2 seed in the West during the regular season.

2.) get out of the 2nd round.

However AV got there was his business. He's done it and he deserves the requisite credit that's equivalent of the blame he would have gotten if he didn't accomplish those goals.

I love being gloriously, gloriously wrong ;)

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Are you blind? Most of the critics have already recanted their statements in here.

I was amongst those who was critical of Bieksa and wanted him gone. I didn't think he should have been just tossed for nothing, I knew he had some value but I didn't think he would turn his game around like he has. I was wrong. But it's not like people's criticism of his game for about 2 years was unfounded....he was terrible for a period. I'm happy the KB3 of old is back and I hope he re-signs for a fair price.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

LMG was sticking up for Bieksa for the wrong reasons, though. It wasn't because he is a good defencemen with potential, but because he is gritty and hits things, same can be said for Rome and Alberts.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Did anyone else notice Bieksa blocking the net cam with his skate during the confusing Marleau's goal? I thought it was pretty smart, even though it didn't help.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I went from loving Bieksa a long time ago to hating him with a passion to loving him again. He truly is one of our better players and the grit he brings is extremely valuable.

rban*

I was hopeful that we could keep both Hoff and Juice but no way after this playoff run (that was with Ballard traded in mind). I don't really care what happens if we win the cup but hopefully our backend doesn't change that much in the summer.

Can still be done. Ballard will be ditched and Salo probaby retire.... that's 8 mil freed up for Hoff and Bieksa.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Did anyone else notice Bieksa blocking the net cam with his skate during the confusing Marleau's goal? I thought it was pretty smart, even though it didn't help.

I forgot about that. I was laughing at the time because it reminded me of that shootout goal that wasn't immediately obvious where the puck was, but it was in Luongo's pads.

Very smart move by Bieksa, but it was a bit too late.

I wouldn't be surprised if they write something into the rulebook about that in the offseason.

Oh, and Salo was my first choice to go in the offseason, but at the time I didn't believe Gillis could do it and keep his image as a players GM.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Can still be done. Ballard will be ditched and Salo probaby retire.... that's 8 mil freed up for Hoff and Bieksa.

I don't know why people keep assuming we have to dump Ballard too. We can fit in sizeable contracts for those two AND Ballard under the cap next year. Just depends on what Gillis wants to do with the forwards. Does he stick with Samuelsson and try to acquire another Top 6 forward or does he re-sign Higgins (say $2m), Torres (say $1.5m), and then trade Samuelsson and acquire someone to replace him.

There's lots of options and there's scenarios where the Canucks can keep all three of those D.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't post as much as most around here, but I as well was firmly in the camp that wanted to keep Bieksa and pursue other options with Salo. With all the injuries everything has worked out great, who knows what would've happened if Salo was healthy from Day 1.

Funny that last off-season seemed like a huge turning point for our defense, but this year's off-season will be just as key and unpredictable.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I don't know why people keep assuming we have to dump Ballard too. We can fit in sizeable contracts for those two AND Ballard under the cap next year. Just depends on what Gillis wants to do with the forwards. Does he stick with Samuelsson and try to acquire another Top 6 forward or does he re-sign Higgins (say $2m), Torres (say $1.5m), and then trade Samuelsson and acquire someone to replace him.

There's lots of options and there's scenarios where the Canucks can keep all three of those D.

So why would the nucks keep a 5th D man at 4 + mill?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
LMG was sticking up for Bieksa for the wrong reasons, though. It wasn't because he is a good defencemen with potential, but because he is gritty and hits things, same can be said for Rome and Alberts.
Comparing Bieksas grit to Rome or Alberts is dumb. Whos doing that?

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
j5kupd.png

Love it. :handclap:

Props to Marleau for his attempt, but boy was he barking up the wrong tree.

Wetcoaster

Rumour is that Bieksa is being considered to star in the reboot of the Rocky film franchise.

0ee2fb74-7b43-4a20-9441-732d1ecb955e_500.jpg

Crows*

I thought bieksa played maybe his best game in his NHL career last night. Not only hitting, fighting playing gritty, but he was making spectacular defensive plays. He was stripping players of the puck left right and centre then sending great outlet passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad