Kevin Bieksa appreciation thread

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
wow, gordie howe hat trick. and not one of those cheap ones where he loses the fight or tussles to a draw.

we were right to hate him last year. but damn if it doesn't make us love him that much more now.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
He has played amazing, my only hope is that he doesn't play poorly after getting his new contract this summer. If he keeps his effort up, he's worth every penny for sure.
Your comments would carry weight if it was an issue of him lacking effort.

The most common complaint about him prior was he tried to do to much.
Bieksa isnt trying harder this year. What has happened though as has been mentioned by Bowness himself is that he was given a specific role. Hes also be paired with a D man who compliments him well.

Hes also had to deal with serious injuries which have stunted his development.

Compare games played for the top four:

Hamhuis:
Since 2003 - 547 games

Ehrhoff:
Since 2003 - 500 games

Edler:
Since 2006 - 304 games

Bieksa:
Since 2005 - 347 games

Almost 2 seasons behind Ehrhoff and 2 1/2 behind Hamhuis.

Bieksa didnt play this well in previous seasons but he certainly wasnt as bad as many had him out to be and he was the whipping boy. Last years playoffs were far from his fault but you wouldnt know it listening to some posters and media clowns.

Even without playing with Hamhuis hes been stellar. All. Season. Long.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Bieksa isnt trying harder this year. What has happened though as has been mentioned by Bowness himself is that he was given a specific role. Hes also be paired with a D man who compliments him well.

Hamhuis:
Since 2003 - 547 games

Ehrhoff:
Since 2003 - 500 games

Edler:
Since 2006 - 304 games

Bieksa:
Since 2005 - 347 games

Bieksa didnt play this well in previous seasons but he certainly wasnt as bad as many had him out to be and he was the whipping boy. Last years playoffs were far from his fault but you wouldnt know it listening to some posters and media clowns.

Even without playing with Hamhuis hes been stellar. All. Season. Long.

Great post. Bieksa is playing incredible, but all he's really done is eliminate the one big mistake he was prone to making. Like Lonny said, it was more him trying to do too much than not trying. I liked him before, I love him now.

Auger

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
It's weird to say this but he has been our best dman during the playoffs. I still can't believe it, i've never seen him play so good, even prior to his injury. Good for KB

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
There'a a thread I've been waiting to bump for about 3 months now. But I've been waiting for the offseason. Needless to say, it's a grocery list full of Canuck fans who have a lotta splaining to doooo!!!!

Not looking to rub it in...More than anything, just good to humble some Canuck faithful.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I piled on this guy for sure, but let's be honest; he had some freaking awful moments over the past two years. Love his game right now, and no doubt we'll be able to keep him...he's in the 'Sedins, Kesler, Burrows' category...long time draftee with serious roots here; Bieksa will stay for something fair, but reasonable.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I can see Bieksa taking a paycut for this team. Why would you want to leave after a great run so far like this? Just to be greedy? Bieksa has been here for a long time, and I can't picture him in any other jersey.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
I had Bieksa's back for two bad years but turned on him this offseason.

If your reading this KB3, Salsa and Agave any time this summer, my treat (as an apology).

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Hands up! 10 months ago, who saw THIS thread popping up on the boards?

Unreal. Props to Bieksa. :handclap:
hands_up_kitten.jpg

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Great post. Bieksa is playing incredible, but all he's really done is eliminate the one big mistake he was prone to making. Like Lonny said, it was more him trying to do too much than not trying. I liked him before, I love him now.

Problem is he was the whipping boy.

His mistakes were magnified and people were actually looking for his mistakes.

For example the versteeg goal in game 2 last year Bieksa was placed at fault for that. People somehow ignored the fact (youtube it) that 3, actually all 3 canuck forwards were at the canuck goal line. In fact Samuellson was in the net. But yet it was Bieksa fault.

He led the Dmen last year playoffs with 8 points and was a plus 2 and some people poo pooed that by saying he got 2 of those goals in one game. Blah blah blah.

Ehrhoff on the other hand last year had 7 points and was a minus 1 but no criticism levelled towards him.

This year Ehrhoff has 11 points of which 5 came in 2 games vs NSH. And hes a minus 6. Yes minus 6. But very few want to poo poo Ehrhoffs acheivements.

For the life of me Ive never understood the irrational hate for Bieksa. Nor the irrational love of guys like O'Brien and Ehrhoff.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I piled on this guy for sure, but let's be honest; he had some freaking awful moments over the past two years. Love his game right now, and no doubt we'll be able to keep him...he's in the 'Sedins, Kesler, Burrows' category...long time draftee with serious roots here; Bieksa will stay for something fair, but reasonable.

Who cares? Is there a Canuck who hasnt.:help:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Hamhuis:
Since 2003 - 547 games

Ehrhoff:
Since 2003 - 500 games

Edler:
Since 2006 - 304 games

Bieksa:
Since 2005 - 347 games

Actually, he was that bad according to stats, the team was noticable worse in every stat every time he touched the ice. This year (after he settled in with Hamhuis) he's calmed his play down is the smart Dman we always wanted him to be but doubted he want to grow into.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
It's no coincidence to me that his two best years have come when he's consistently been paired with a predictable/reliable partner. First Mitchell and now Hamhuis. Hamhuis can move the puck so he creates more for Bieksa and we don't have those endless sequences where Bieksa would pass it to Mitchell who would pass it back to Bieksa then back to Mitchell then back to Bieksa and 30 seconds later they'd try a breakout pass.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
He has really stepped his game up.

A Gordie Howe Hat Trick as well.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Actually, he was that bad according to stats, the team was noticable worse in every stat every time he touched the ice. This year (after he settled in with Hamhuis) he's calmed his play down is the smart Dman we always wanted him to be but doubted he want to grow into.

Yup and Canucks have a winning record with Tambellini in the line up.:sarcasm:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
It's no coincidence to me that his two best years have come when he's consistently been paired with a predictable/reliable partner. First Mitchell and now Hamhuis. Hamhuis can move the puck so he creates more for Bieksa and we don't have those endless sequences where Bieksa would pass it to Mitchell who would pass it back to Bieksa then back to Mitchell then back to Bieksa and 30 seconds later they'd try a breakout pass.

Hamhuis and Bieksa have a pretty good "relationship".

I should think it true of any player that when paired with someone who compliments your game you will do better than being paired with someone who doesnt.

Ive also noticed over these playoffs that Bieksa and Higgins seem to feed off each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad