• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
slats432 said:
Don't underestimate the intelligent hockey fan. Even the owner/systemic change supporters.

If $45 million hard cap comes with dollar for dollar from $38-45 is out there and the owners balk, I start buying NHLPA merchandise instead of Oilers stuff. ;)

I would have to concur...for me the problem with the last PA offer had much more to do with that stupid upwards linkage clause than the actual cap level.

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
three of the the 7 union members on the executive committe are ready to go to owners with a new offer. The guy on the fence is Ottawa Senator Daniel Alfredsson. No one is sure where he stands. Lots of pressure on him. If he agrees, Goodenow and the union will present an offer to Bettman.
If 4 out of 7 exec members decide not to present an offer to the NHL, and/or not to put it to a player vote, the players will split for sure, and what happened to the NFL will happen here. If they put it to a vote, then if the players vote against another offer at least they will stay together for some period of time.

I'm guessing that the agents are putting a lot of pressure on the players they represent. If no deal this year, and a very reduced deal sometime in the future, and the 24% rollback already in the net, the commissions that the agents make will drop drastically. The result will be many agents out of business or in the poor house; many agents will have trouble affording to see hockey games (okay, may be not that bad). I suspect the agents are saying, "I'm your business expert, and not making a deal is a really bad business move." Finally I suspect that the agents are feeding the media leaks, attempting to go around roadkill Goodenow while trying to stay at Chara hockey stick length from him just in case he has the bad-dude-at-the-end-of-a-movie-return-to-life move left and can still bite back.

Got to love Mad Mike, always good for a quote:
MadMike said:
"It's crazy," said Islanders general manager Mike Milbury, a union representative during his career. "Twenty years ago when I played, we didn't have in the dressing room catalogs of 'Christie's Great Estates of the World.' I mean, these are wealthy people, millionaires, and they are losing valuable time."

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
cleduc said:
Someone tell Daniel Alfredsson that Darcy Tucker is a hardliner with his face to the boards
I guess if this is true (that it's Alfredsson) I have more faith in Alfredsson to make a decision that's also based on doing what's best for hockey, not just the union.

Never the less, there's some satisfaction knowing that one way or another, it's Alfredsson who could make a lot of Leaf fans really happy.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
HF2002 said:
I guess if this is true (that it's Alfredsson) I have more faith in Alfredsson to make a decision that's also based on doing what's best for hockey, not just the union.

Never the less, there's some satisfaction knowing that one way or another, it's Alfredsson who could make a lot of Leaf fans really happy.
LOL. Unless it goes the other way...

Then, there will be some satisfaction for Leaf fans knowing that one way or another, it's Alfredsson who could make a lot of Ottawa fans really miserable.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can someone tell me where this "it's up to Alfredsson" thing is coming from? I would much rather know who are the 3 who are saying "No".

Anyways, Alfredsson said recently that the PA would crush the NHL and win like it did in 1995.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
espion said:
Anyways, Alfredsson said recently that the PA would crush the NHL and win like it did in 1995.
What do you expect him to say?

"We are going to lose, the NHL is in the process of crushing us like bugs. I hope they are merciful?

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
MrMackey said:
LOL. Unless it goes the other way...

Then, there will be some satisfaction for Leaf fans knowing that one way or another, it's Alfredsson who could make a lot of Ottawa fans really miserable.
Oh, I had that thought too, but in reverse.

I figured it would be a low blow at this time.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Egil said:
What do you expect him to say?

"We are going to lose, the NHL is in the process of crushing us like bugs. I hope they are merciful?

or

'Gary is tossing us around like a rag doll. I hope it stops soon, im getting nauxious.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad