Kevin Allen on WDFN in Detroit

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

USA Today hockey guy says there are talks.
Says three of the the 7 union members on the executive committe are ready to go to owners with a new offer.
The guy on the fence is Ottawa Senator Daniel Alfredsson. No one is sure where he stands. Lots of pressure on him. If he agrees, Goodenow and the union will present an offer to Bettman.
Allen isn't sure exactly what the deal is.
Believes it will have to be down to atleast $45M with a dollar for dollar luxury tax at a lower threshold.
Allen says he's not sure if the owners will accept it. Some want it for sure, he says. But others may be intent on busting the union and getting a $35 million cap next season.

Flyers Hockey

Feb 17, 2005
If the players present this and the owners turn it down they will be instant villans in this mess.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
is he reputed?

Funny, this snowball keeps rolling.

If this goes through, does anyone think that Steve Yzerman will be hearlded as the hero in all this?

A Good Flying Bird*

Flyers Hockey said:
If the players present this and the owners turn it down they will be instant villans in this mess.

I'm as pro-player as anyone, but I know that the pro-owner guys aren't switching sides. Far too many of them are incapable of criticizing their own side.
But it doesn't matter.

What matters to me most is whether or not I'll be watching Stanley Cup playoffs in April.

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
Just to add, WFAN in NY is also reporting that there may be behind the scenes negotiations ongoing. Earlier today they said it was just rumours, as their source JD said he knew of nothing going on. I think John Davidson knows but isn't saying as he is just as upset as we are about no hockey, and doesn't want to get hopes up!

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Newsguyone said:
I'm as pro-player as anyone, but I know that the pro-owner guys aren't switching sides. Far too many of them are incapable of criticizing their own side.
But it doesn't matter.

What matters to me most is whether or not I'll be watching Stanley Cup playoffs in April.

that's bunk...if the owners turn down a fair deal, i'd blast them

A Good Flying Bird*

futurcorerock said:
is he reputed?

Funny, this snowball keeps rolling.

If this goes through, does anyone think that Steve Yzerman will be hearlded as the hero in all this?

I don't know if Stevie is doing anything behind the scenes.
It sounded to me like he was just saying what many of us already believed.
The players had given too much to simply stop now. They may as well finish the job.

Old Hickory

JWI19 said:
For the mods, i heard the same thing just in case you wanted confirmation.
If we can trust anyone to post an accurate report it's NewsGuyOne.

Thanks for the heads up man! :handclap: :handclap:

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
futurcorerock said:
you mean, the blog....

No...read the "TSN says games will be played thread". Guerin skipped out on an interview with a Dallas radio station. He NEVER skips these, as he is like best friends with the 2 hosts. He's on a plane heading somewhere, but he didnt say where.

PantherBlood6*

no, he means Guerin canceling his session on a local Dallas radio station saying he had to leave town immediatley.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
neelynugs said:
that's bunk...if the owners turn down a fair deal, i'd blast them

Same here. However, it's awfully nice of Newsguy to declare what we're all thinking and save us the effort. ;)

Insanity

Feb 11, 2005
Flyers Hockey said:

I'm pro owner, and I wouldn't simply blast them for turning down the $45M cap at face value... I'd have to know more.. But that is just me :)

Otter

The radio guys would know the difference between a guy leaving because he is sick or had a family emergeny right? I'd think that would be an entirely different vibe. It would be sad if he left that radio show for other personal reasons and we wasted this much time over it but I could see something like that happening with the way things are.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Otter said:
The radio guys would know the difference between a guy leaving because he is sick or had a family emergeny right? I'd think that would be an entirely different vibe. It would be sad if he left that radio show for other personal reasons and we wasted this much time over it but I could see something like that happening with the way things are.

If he had a family emergency, he would have at least said that. All he said was that he had to leave town immediately, and couldnt say where he was going.

A Good Flying Bird*

CarlRacki said:
Same here. However, it's awfully nice of Newsguy to declare what we're all thinking and save us the effort. ;)

Sorry dude, didn't mean to turn the thread on its ear.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
But it doesn't matter.
Hey, I'm pro-owner, and I'd be furious if the NHL turned down the rumoured deal, unless:

- item #7 was still present

or

- the luxary tax was not $1 or more (making item #7 almost irrelevant)

To me the $49M wasn't the big sticking point, it was item #7 & the LT. I think $49M could easily work with a few adjustments.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Newsguyone said:
But it doesn't matter.

Don't underestimate the intelligent hockey fan. Even the owner/systemic change supporters.

If $45 million hard cap comes with dollar for dollar from $38-45 is out there and the owners balk, I start buying NHLPA merchandise instead of Oilers stuff. ;)

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Insanity said:
I'm pro owner, and I wouldn't simply blast them for turning down the $45M cap at face value... I'd have to know more.. But that is just me :)

My biggest concern is that the players come back with a 42 million cap agreement with article 7. Also as I call it, the Doomsday article.

The media would crucify the owners if they turned down that propsal even though he has to. Article 7 is so potentially inflationary it could half the number of teams in the league within a few years.

I have no idea why the players even put that in. Spite? That was the worst proposal the Pa has offered so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad