Player Discussion Kevan Miller (retires 7/14/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He’s an easy guy to miss, I hope he can come back. If he is done I’m glad he could at least get back out there and be the guy he used to be for a brief stretch. It was a blast having his physicality around

You have to wonder if we ever see him back full-time again. Clearly he did too much too fast and ran into problems. I guess we've learned not to count the guy out, but it does appear that his days as a regular pairing guy playing every game are well behind him.

Reactions: CDJ and Estlin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Hard to picture him letting them sleep like they've done too many times since he's been out.

True, but then again when he was regularly playing the season before last and before that, the Bruins had these sort of games too. It was a not pretty to look at, I agree, but I don't think we should pretend that this has never happened to this team in the recent past.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
You have to wonder if we ever see him back full-time again. Clearly he did too much too fast and ran into problems. I guess we've learned not to count the guy out, but it does appear that his days as a regular pairing guy playing every game are well behind him.
Too much too fast? The dude has been rehabbing since Reagan was in office. At a certain point, you gotta realize it’s not about mindset, it’s not about preparation, it’s not about willpower....it’s freaking broken, man.
I hope he makes it through the contract, but despite his leadership & play (when playing) I think this was an ill-advised signing. This thing is going to keep on nagging him until retirement.

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Too much too fast? The dude has been rehabbing since Reagan was in office. At a certain point, you gotta realize it’s not about mindset, it’s not about preparation, it’s not about willpower....it’s freaking broken, man.
I hope he makes it through the contract, but despite his leadership & play (when playing) I think this was an ill-advised signing. This thing is going to keep on nagging him until retirement.
Dustin Pedroia has entered the chat

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
Love the guy's heart but his body seems to be failing him. Can't bank on him being around. If he is, it should be counted as a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: RHR37

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Pretty unfortunate that he’s had to take a step back, hardly alone in that for this club though, Achan was the 12th defenseman to start a game for the team this year and they haven’t even hit 30 games.

Hoping they’re taking his rehab conservative and aiming for having him 100% when it counts

Reactions: StrBender

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Pretty unfortunate that he’s had to take a step back, hardly alone in that for this club though, Achan was the 12th defenseman to start a game for the team this year and they haven’t even hit 30 games.

Hoping they’re taking his rehab conservative and aiming for having him 100% when it counts

I hope it is that simple for him, but truthfully he took about as a convservative approach to making his comeback as he could and it didn't hold up. I don't have a lot of hope that if he comes back it won't be rinse and repeat.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I hope it is that simple for him, but truthfully he took about as a convservative approach to making his comeback as he could and it didn't hold up. I don't have a lot of hope that if he comes back it won't be rinse and repeat.
Yeah, I’m no doctor but maybe coming off not playing for a couple years and on a new knee, maybe pushing 20 min a night and 4 games a week for a month wasn’t the best approach?

I mean they told Chara he wasn’t going to be a regular in the line up then made K Miller a regular in the lineup ...

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Yeah, I’m no doctor but maybe coming off not playing for a couple years and on a new knee, maybe pushing 20 min a night and 4 games a week for a month wasn’t the best approach?

I mean they told Chara he wasn’t going to be a regular in the line up then made K Miller a regular in the lineup ...

Because Kevan Miller has no issues not being a regular in the lineup and didn’t care about his usage.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Because Kevan Miller has no issues not being a regular in the lineup and didn’t care about his usage.
I get that. What I'm saying is that making him a regular probably wasnt the best for his knee. Know injures forced their hand a bit, but figured they'd work some rest days in there considering.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Eh. If Sweeney even hinted to Chara he wouldn't be a regular then that's a mistake by Sweeney. If he told Chara he'd be playing 3rd pairing time it is also a mistake but more understandable.

If Sweeney told Chara he would be a 2nd pair defenseman and Chara didn't like it, then this is a win-win to move on by both parties.

Chara and Miller aren't comparable anyways.

It doesn't sound as though Miller was ever told he wouldn't be a regular in the line up? He is and always was a great 3rd pairing defenseman.

It seems as though the Bruins should have been as conservative with Miller's usage as Miller was with his rehab... the Bruins did not need him breaking down again and have a gap in leadership, experience, and toughness on the defense yet again!

I will be surprised if we see Miller play again unfortunately.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Eh. If Sweeney even hinted to Chara he wouldn't be a regular then that's a mistake by Sweeney. If he told Chara he'd be playing 3rd pairing time it is also a mistake but more understandable.

If Sweeney told Chara he would be a 2nd pair defenseman and Chara didn't like it, then this is a win-win to move on by both parties.

Chara and Miller aren't comparable anyways.

It doesn't sound as though Miller was ever told he wouldn't be a regular in the line up? He is and always was a great 3rd pairing defenseman.

It seems as though the Bruins should have been as conservative with Miller's usage as Miller was with his rehab... the Bruins did not need him breaking down again and have a gap in leadership, experience, and toughness on the defense yet again!

I will be surprised if we see Miller play again unfortunately.

First off, there's so much reading between the lines with Chara or whatever and yet the only things we do know is both sides said it was nothing more than time to part ways. Sweeney had a plan for the team this season and it didn't involve 44-year-old Chara. Tough break, hate to see him go but there's no malice here, IMO. Both sides said as much and it wouldn't make sense for either one to be cordial and candid about it just to be lying.

Second, do we know the extent of Miller's medical issues? Do we know what his physical therapists and trainers were recommending for him? No, we do not. As far as we know, Miller was doing exactly what he was cleared to be doing- which is everything he physically can. His agent was showing that much in the summer with his off-ice training clips.

I personally don't think the Bruins had any long-term plans with Kevan Miller in it, knowing his age, injury prowess and injury history, especially pertaining to his knees. I think they just wanted to sign him, give him a chance and take it game-by-game. If he was healthy for two weeks, fine. If he was healthy for two months, fine. I don't think it was their long-term season plan.

Miller is hurt, it was probably inevitable and I don’t think the GM was blind to that scenario. Just think right or wrong, they were giving Miller a chance for sticking by them for many seasons, putting his down and just working. It's a good comeback story and the team clearly valued his presence out there. Oh well, he's hurt and I hope for his sake he gets healthy sooner rather than later.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
11-3-1 with Kevan playing.

It was great to see him back.

He played quite a few minuets .
Yeah he was given a heavy assignment first game in but handled it like the pro he is. Well done!

Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia