Player Discussion Kevan Miller - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
His cap hit is barely over the league minimum. I don't think his contract is going to keep the Bs from signing anyone else. If so, we've got bigger problems.
his cap hit with bonuses could reach 2 million. They could have signed Bogosian for half that. Vlad Namestnikov got $2m and he is a really solid 2-way 3rd line winger. There are plenty of better ways they could have spent that money. I like Miller but the guy is a total crapshoot at this point.

kjpm

May 28, 2011
I like Miller and would have loved to have him the past two playoff runs but agree with others that the contract is needlessly risky and eats up potentially valuable cap space. If he can pick up where he left off, great, he can play on my 3rd pair any day. But I would be extremely surprised if he can jump in after two years off. I guess we will see. Strange move by the front office in any case.

Reactions: bme44

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I ask this question who do you protect and who goes on Waivers to start the season . The D needs a big upgrade before the season starts . I hope we all agree there. So who are you prepared to loose to have Miller on the team. Is the plan to have him start in the A?

They could lose moore and his larger cap hit without losing sleep.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
his cap hit with bonuses could reach 2 million. They could have signed Bogosian for half that. Vlad Namestnikov got $2m and he is a really solid 2-way 3rd line winger. There are plenty of better ways they could have spent that money.

Not quite.

The Bs can exceed the cap by the same amount as Miller's performance bonuses. Even if he achieved them all, which he won't, his cap hit would still essentially only be 1.25 if they needed the extra wiggle room this year.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Sweeney signed Miller to placate the core after letting Krug go. Miller is super popular in the locker room. He and Marshy look like they are tied at the hip. So basically lose one great team guy, but get another one back. This is the only possible explanation for signing Miller to a one way deal on the first day of free agency, as the logical thing to do would be sign him to a two way deal or a professional tryout. No other team would have signed Miller to a one way this summer.

Reactions: bme44

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Sweeney signed Miller to placate the core after letting Krug go. Miller is super popular in the locker room. He and Marshy look like they are tied at the hip. So basically lose one great team guy, but get another one back. This is the only possible explanation for signing Miller to a one way deal on the first day of free agency, as the logical thing to do would be sign him to a two way deal or a professional tryout. No other team would have signed Miller to a one way this summer.
Think it definitely played a role - they are sooooooooooo young and relatively soft on the defensive end and they know Kmiller gives them the model of intensity and is one of the few players in the league that can legitimately frighten opponents.

Reactions: hrdpuk and BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I for one am really looking forward to seeing #86 out there again:

I'll believe that when I see it. Also, being ready to start the season versus making it all the way through a season are two very different things. Not to mention what he even is at this point, given the significant time missed and significant nature of his injuries. Rather than getting excited or having any expectations for him, I'm going to view it as whatever he brings to the team is gravy.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
They both bought a hunting lodge in Newfoundland together, I believe. Looks like they have a solid business plan after hockey.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The more I learn about this contract, the more it makes sense.

I think the plan is to waive him at the start of the season and let him train with the team. Since he won't have played any games, his $1m salary won't count against the cap at all.

The key is the reports saying you will be able to carry 3 players who will be deemed AHL players but stay with the team. Miller will be one. He will be able to practice and travel with the team but isn't getting demoted.

He will need to go through waivers, but because of the bonuses and because he hasn't played in a year, it will be very unlikely that a team claims him.

At the start of the season you can have a young player audition for that spot and if he's struggling, then you can bring in Miller.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The more I learn about this contract, the more it makes sense.

I think the plan is to waive him at the start of the season and let him train with the team. Since he won't have played any games, his $1m salary won't count against the cap at all.

The key is the reports saying you will be able to carry 3 players who will be deemed AHL players but stay with the team. Miller will be one. He will be able to practice and travel with the team but isn't getting demoted.

He will need to go through waivers, but because of the bonuses and because he hasn't played in a year, it will be very unlikely that a team claims him.

At the start of the season you can have a young player audition for that spot and if he's struggling, then you can bring in Miller.

Maybe they can just make a transaction of a two-week conditioning stint and avoid placing him on waivers. If he comes to camp and is healthy enough to be on an active roster, some team will get wind of it and could take a chance claiming him if they aren't satisfied with what they've seen in camp from their own guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad