Player Discussion Kevan Miller - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
You think we'd play the less skilled defenseman for hitting and grit?

I'm not saying that we don't need physicality. In fact I'd prefer we keep him for that one reason. But the fact is Lauzon, Urho, and Zboril play less physical games and are trending upwards as defenseman with some long term potential.

Chara, McAvoy
Krug, Carlo
Grz, Moore
Miller, Lauzon
Vaakaneinen, Zboril
Clifton

At 2.5 million for this year and next, he's the prime candidate to move if we want to free up cap space for an impact forward or pay Krug.

I believe that you still have to have players that are playing different roles to excel as a team. Miller is the ideal defenseman for the third line pairing and the penalty kill. Physical, hard hitter, blocks shots and can fight. One of our last who keeps the opponent team honest.

Reactions: Ladyfan and hrdpuk

False Start

May 8, 2018
I believe that you still have to have players that are playing different roles to excel as a team. Miller is the ideal defenseman for the third line pairing and the penalty kill. Physical, hard hitter, blocks shots and can fight. One of our last who keeps the opponent team honest.

The same guy who misses multiple dozens of games it seems like every year.

I fail to see why you would want to stunt the growth of younger, more skilled defenseman with potential in order to keep Miller around for 50-60 games on the third pair.

It'd be nice to keep that physical edge, but it doesn't make sense to do so for a #5/6 guy we can easily replace with a cheaper option who just happens to not be as physical.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The same guy who misses multiple dozens of games it seems like every year.

I fail to see why you would want to stunt the growth of younger, more skilled defenseman with potential in order to keep Miller around for 50-60 games on the third pair.

It'd be nice to keep that physical edge, but it doesn't make sense to do so for a #5/6 guy we can easily replace with a cheaper option who just happens to not be as physical.
I'd also take his post season experience. He has been one of our best d-men down the stretch of seasons and heading into the post season. Miller is an ideal bottom pair D-man.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I think Miller has more value to the Bruins than he has in a trade. We should keep him through his contract and let him walk IMO, he is definitely our #3 RD right now, I would make Clifton the extra next year. I think if we were to trade a D it would have to be one of Gryz or Krug, and I would rather it be Krug (I don't dislike Krug, I actually quite like him but he brings a lot of value in a trade, I think we can survive his loss in production and greatly benefit from a good middle 6 C, beyond that I don't think he is here beyond this contract if we don't trade him).

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
this thread where I am his strongest proponent could use a bit of the why. I geek out about hockey and have formulae. a decade worth of independent but confirming leaguewide overall player ratings and watching games has me convinced in ways I don't need y'all to grasp that Miller is consistently dominant. mock my season-so-far numbers all you want, but know that I did not just guess at effectiveness like CORSI and Fenwick. I can also confidently state that Bruins roster moves don't often surprise me. Kampfer leaving while a huge plus was one shock. anyway, here's the thing:

MIL 107
HAL 96
CLI 90
BER 89
RAS 88
KUR 87
CHA 86
McA 84
MOO 84
NOR 79
CAR 79
PAS 76
HEI 76
BAC 75
CAV 74
ZBO 74
KRE 73
MAR 73
LAU 71
BJO 71
DeB 70
GRZ 70
WAG 67
KRU 57
FOR 55
KAM 48
ACC 41
DON 23
VAA 18

small sample sizes create outliers, so I usually wait until about this point in the season to start dabbling in it all. Zboril, Cave, Vaakanainen haven't had enough minutes to be fair, but they are what they are. the Bruins consistently build their rosters like they have the same "ratings" in use. if I was shopping a package, there is no way I would include Miller, but I bet you can guess a few recommendations I'd offer. I know, I know -- who am I? yep. go back to hating on Miller, of all players.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Seems like an obvious guy we trade right?
Well...not to me.

IMO what the B's were lacking in the playoffs is someone who can hit. The B's need more than one player who can play and hit.

I hope Kevan is well and here to start the next season.

I know he missed lots of the last season but hope he is all set now.

B's cannot go into next season with no players that can answer the hard hitting teams.

Reactions: BMC

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'd also take his post season experience. He has been one of our best d-men down the stretch of seasons and heading into the post season. Miller is an ideal bottom pair D-man.

Both times he played in the second round he was atrocious.

Now, small sample size, and those two series were a few years apart, but he has not been a good playoff performer.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Like him but what’s the point of keeping him when he’s never able to play? I mean where are all the people saying mcquaid was expendable and you can’t have 2.5 million on the seventh floor?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Both times he played in the second round he was atrocious.

Now, small sample size, and those two series were a few years apart, but he has not been a good playoff performer.
Those two examples you can use for the entire team.

I think he would have been good to have in the St Louis series, you know, a guy who actually finishes a hit.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Those two examples you can use for the entire team.

I think he would have been good to have in the St Louis series, you know, a guy who actually finishes a hit.
That’s great and all. But he’s in the training room and on the doctors table more then on the ice.

Chara
McAvoy
Krug
Carlo
Grizz
Clifton

He’s hitting who?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
The lack of
Lack of scoring and lack of quality reffing hurt the Bs vs St Louis FAR more than lack of hitting.

The lack of scoring was the result of the top pairing STL D- men pounding the forwards. It takes effect. .. no I don’t wanna trade ANY of our top 6 . Add Coyle too. I’m alright going forward with them into next year .

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Like him but what’s the point of keeping him when he’s never able to play? I mean where are all the people saying mcquaid was expendable and you can’t have 2.5 million on the seventh floor?

based on the way sweeney and cassidy talk about miller, i'd be surprised if he goes anywhere. sweeney just
referenced his absence as a reason why we didn't beat the blues. but the numbers game is what it is. no
team has kept 9 defensemen that i can ever remember (you certainly can if you choose to carry 12 F, which
seems insane). once moore is back from injury, that gives them 9. personally i'd move him before anyone else,
since LHD is the strength/depth of the organization, and he's a #5 at best IMO. at the same time,
kampfer looks like the designated #8 and he's also a right shot. i guess we will see.

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
they are paying 8 defense men at or over 1 million dollars

Chara
Krug
Miller
Moore
Grezlyck
Clifton
McAvoy (soon to be)
Carlo (soon to be)

Either Millers on his way our or Moore is, signing both Clifton and Kampfer gives me the bet its Miller on the outside looking in. Moore's got a decent hit for a few "Moore" years, I see him as Expansion draft bait.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Hard to score when you’re upside down in the corner.

The lack of

The lack of scoring was the result of the top pairing STL D- men pounding the forwards. It takes effect. .. no I don’t wanna trade ANY of our top 6 . Add Coyle too. I’m alright going forward with them into next year .

No it doesn't. Explain why we DOMINATED possession, shots, chances, etc. most of the series and particularly in game 7 then? The hitting should've taken a toll by then. It didn't. It makes for a nice excuse/narrative after the fact though.

Their goalie got hot at the right time. Combine that with the absolutely atrocious reffing, particularly in game 5, and there you have it. Getting hit had little to nothing to do with it, aside from losing Gryz for a few games (and having Miller back would have zero effect on that).

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I don't put too much value in truculence, but even as a hockey player a like him. That said, his latest injury is pretty gnarly and that's on top of long resume of injuries. Don't think he has much of a future in Boston. Wouldn't be surprised if some GM paid a good price for him. McQuaid fetched 3rd+7th and Miller is (or was, when healthy) clearly better defenceman at this point.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
based on the way sweeney and cassidy talk about miller, i'd be surprised if he goes anywhere. sweeney just
referenced his absence as a reason why we didn't beat the blues. but the numbers game is what it is. no
team has kept 9 defensemen that i can ever remember (you certainly can if you choose to carry 12 F, which
seems insane). once moore is back from injury, that gives them 9. personally i'd move him before anyone else,
since LHD is the strength/depth of the organization, and he's a #5 at best IMO. at the same time,
kampfer looks like the designated #8 and he's also a right shot. i guess we will see.

That’s a ridiculous excuse used by them for not beating the Blues.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
No it doesn't. Explain why we DOMINATED possession, shots, chances, etc. most of the series and particularly in game 7 then? The hitting should've taken a toll by then. It didn't. It makes for a nice excuse/narrative after the fact though.

Their goalie got hot at the right time. Combine that with the absolutely atrocious reffing, particularly in game 5, and there you have it. Getting hit had little to nothing to do with it, aside from losing Gryz for a few games (and having Miller back would have zero effect on that).
STL was more physical. They played Physical. Binnington played good . That game 7 he made some good saves after the first period of that game I watched three times he didn’t get tested. One shot cleared . One shot. Cleared. That was the STL game plan they let you control possession as long as your not scoring so they can pound your forwards. I keep hearing Miller is a physical defence man

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

do you have a link where DS stated that the absence of Miller was why the B`s didn`t beat the Blues please, not challenging you, just didn`t read it/see it anywhere

Having Miller would have been ok but in all honesty, I didn`t really see or feel that the size/physicality of the Blues was the reason for the loss, thought the B`s drove most of the possession stats, had their chances, didn`t bury chances when they were there

Reactions: Estlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->