Kessell=American Kovalchuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Kessel has great moves but I would love to see him try it on Dion Phaneuf or anybody in the NHL. He would end up looking like Olesz last year, face down and out for a verryyyyyyyyy long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

espo*

trahans99 said:
Kessel has great moves but I would love to see him try it on Dion Phaneuf or anybody in the NHL. He would end up looking like Olesz last year, face down and out for a verryyyyyyyyy long time.
He's some shifty though and he tends to skate head-up.He's murder to defend one on one but if anyone can shut him down it'd be Phaneuf.

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
Kessel can go as far as he himself wants to. He's got all the talent, is an excellent skater, and he can finish. His 2nd goal was not the goaltender's fault. For one thing, a guy should never go around a defenseman like that. Kessel put that shot exactly where he had to. The goaltender had to hold the post in case Kessel took the puck wide and threw one towards the net.

It all depends on how hard Kessel wants to work. He's not done growing yet, that's for sure. He's got the given talents, it's up to his work ethic and mentality.

espo*

Mr Brownstone said:
Kessel can go as far as he himself wants to. He's got all the talent, is an excellent skater, and he can finish. His 2nd goal was not the goaltender's fault. For one thing, a guy should never go around a defenseman like that. Kessel put that shot exactly where he had to. The goaltender had to hold the post in case Kessel took the puck wide and threw one towards the net.

It all depends on how hard Kessel wants to work. He's not done growing yet, that's for sure. He's got the given talents, it's up to his work ethic and mentality.
I've mentioned earlier it was'nt the goalies fault really,i agree with you.Plain and simple to me Kessell was just doing what he does best at too high a rate of speed and the goalie got baboozled imo.At that point they knew what he was capable of and the goalie had too much scattershot going on his head and it caused him to react badly.That kid can do it to you.

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
Some of you guys are incredibly stuck on the " I won't give this kid credit until he turns Rob Blake or Cris Pronger inside out before I admit he is incredibly that good"

Guess what. He's 17, playing against the top Junior guys in the world, most who are almost 3yrs older than he and he is playing like he should be talked about as one of the top Jr players in this same world. Not too shabby and I'm sure his progress @ almost 20yrs old will show him turning 23 yrs old D-men of any league level inside out as well.
The kid is a phenom well worthy of Crosby accolades.
Let's back up one year. Did Crosby show the stuff Kessler's showing thus far in this WJC and at what, almost 2yrs younger to boot? Crosby played well indeed last year, but PK is above that level in this WJC IMO.

Let's appreciate him as the player he is and is going to be down the road....phenomenal.

espo*

dougd said:
Some of you guys are incredibly stuck on the " I won't give this kid credit until he turns Rob Blake or Cris Pronger inside out before I admit he is incredibly that good"

Guess what. He's 17, playing against the top Junior guys in the world, most who are almost 3yrs older than he and he is playing like he should be talked about as one of the top Jr players in this same world. Not too shabby and I'm sure his progress @ almost 20yrs old will show him turning 23 yrs old D-men of any league level inside out as well.
Let's back up one year. Did Crosby show the stuff Kessler's showing thus far in this WJC and at what, almost 2yrs younger to boot? Crosby played well indeed last year, but PK is above that level in this WJC IMO.

Let's appreciate him as the player he is and is going to be down the road....phenomenal.
i gotta agree with you here.......though i don't think he is two years younger then Crosby was last year......i think Crosby was younger last year at this tourney then Kessell is this year? Crosby ws 16 last year and Kessell is 17 this year right? Anyway,the kid is playing awesome against most of the best under 20 players in the world,that's good enough for me...that and what i can see with my own two eyes.

Reilly311

St.Louis sports fan said:
Any chance after this turney Kessel will play in the OHL(i think Saginaw? has his rights)? No offense, but I don't think there i anything left for him to prove at the NTDP. I would really like to see how he would handle the tougher competition because I'm getting sick of all the naysayers saying he's too small. :cry: I love the way a guy like Phaneuf plays, but if you can't catch Kessel(i'm just generalizing) how can you hit him? I've coached alot of hockey an trust me what he can do at top speed you can't teach. I do agree a little with an above post about the finishing not quite there, but it doesn't bother much especially after that goal vs. Belarus where he settled a bouncing puck and fired it over the goalies shoulder.
Can we all stop being scouts and GMs for a second and just admire the kid for his talents. Heck if he were my kid I would be one proud dad-6'0 or not.

He's going to college and yes, Saginaw own his rights.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/Features/kessel_0245.htm

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
dougd said:

I think crosby's only 4 months older is he not?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I don't understand how people can jump to conclusions about Kessel's finishing ability from just a few games. All of the scouting reports I've read indicate that he is a deadly finisher. Just because his big goals in the last game didn't come on rocket shots doesn't mean he can't unload if he wants to. His first goal of the tournament was a rocket to the top shelf from a pretty poor angle.

For comparions sake, Patrick O'Sullivan is acknowledged as being a very accomplished goal scorer yet from the games in this tournament I've seen you wouldn't be able to tell it. Is anybody going to question his finishing ability because of this tournament?

Kessel has shown that he has a penchant for the spectacular. That's excited a lot of people obviously. Will he be able to pull off these moves in the NHL? Probably not. However, I think he's got the talent to learn how to be a force at the next level. It's really a question of him developing his talent and learning to do the things that work the best.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
ciggyboy said:
I think crosby's only 4 months older is he not?

Well, chronological age is one thing and biological age is another. I mean that sometimes people are late developers, and their age in years may not tell the whole truth about them. Then again, generally it is the only thing you have knowledge of.

Poolyboy

Know your facts before you open your mouth.........

dougd said:

TSN.ca Staff with CP files

1/1/2005

The 17-year-olds are stealing the show at the World Junior Hockey Championship.

While Canada's Sidney Crosby was the star of the round robin, American Phil Kessel - a top prospect for the 2006 NHL Draft - took the spotlight in the quarterfinals with a hat trick in an 8-2 win over Sweden.

There only 2 months apart and that is why his draft year is next year not this year.

And he wasnt good enough to make th US last year dosnt say much for his history. Now he is on the first line doesnt say much for the US team.

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
There only 2 months apart and that is why his draft year is next year not this year.

Thanks for the clarification.

Still stick to my thoughts on his abilities shown thus far though.

His game last night showed just as much and perhaps more than SC has so far.
I'd like to add that Bergeron is Crosby's centre but not sure how much more of a difference that would actually make as Kessler's performances have been based more on his individuality than benefitting from his linemates. It sure wouldn't hurt to have Bergeron as a linemate that's for sure!!

One thing to point out is that Crosby has been exposed to a " higher" caliber of play over a extended period than PK, so for Kessel to perform like he has at this elite WJC level is amazing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
dougd said:

Thanks for the clarification.

Still stick to my thoughts on his abilities shown thus far though.

His game last night showed just as much and perhaps more than SC has so far.
I'd like to add that Bergeron is Crosby's centre but not sure how much more of a difference that would actually make as Kessler's performances have been based more on his individuality than benefitting from his linemates. It sure wouldn't hurt to have Bergeron as a linemate that's for sure!!

One thing to point out is that Crosby has been exposed to a " higher" caliber of play over a extended period than PK, so for Kessel to perform like he has at this elite WJC level is amazing.
Having seen all Canada's and US games to date .. I would say that Kessel is out performing Crosby .. He skates faster, Shoots harder and has been more an overall contributor to his team ..

IF Crosby and Kessel were in the same draft year I would say that either could go #1 in the draft, but Kessel has made the biggest impact to me in this tourney

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
The Messenger said:
IF Crosby and Kessel were in the same draft year I would say that either could go #1 in the draft, but Kessel has made the biggest impact to me in this tourney

dibs next hit off of whatever you're smoking.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Alex Kovalev said:
Funny how a guy strings a couple good games together and hes automatically the next big thing. Guys get overhyped so fast on this board. Kessel obviously has talent, but relax fellas.

He's just getting hype now? Where the heck have you been the last year or so? With your head buried in the sand or are you that uninformed about top up and coming American players?
:dunno:

The kid has been getting plenty of ink for well over the past year.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
He's just getting hype now? Where the heck have you been the last year or so? With your head buried in the sand or are you that uninformed about top up and coming American players?
:dunno:

The kid has been getting plenty of ink for well over the past year.

I know who he is dude, relax will you. I just think its a little early to be calling him Kovalchuk.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
I thought that the puck kind of disappeared into a black hole whenever he had it. That's ok if you happen to have a 22 on the back of your sweater and your last name is Bossy, but otherwise, it's not so good.

American fans are going to shoot me for this, but he reminds me most of Sergei Berezin.

velimiiro

Kessel = American Gretzky

I've never seen a player with the skillset this young man posseses, simply unreal!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad