Kessell=American Kovalchuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

That's who he reminds me of,Attack,attack,attack.....lot's of confidence with the puck and backs defensemen off with his speed and ability to handle the puck and he is always looking to get in scorers position on the left side and let his howitzer go for anyone smart enough to concentrate on getting him the puck in that position.He is not as powerful physically but he's only 17 and it does'nt matter much anyway with the skills he's got.I had to laugh at some of the people commenting during the game last night,they were going on about the weak goaltending on two of his goals,granted they looked like the goaltender did a bad job but it was'nt true........he made them look bad because they were scared ****less they had no clue what was coming next and at what velocity and thus they just ended up reacting bad........he reminds me of Ilya.

Reilly311

Phil Kessel is Phil Kessel. He'll make his own name thank you very much. If he's canadian then he's the next Lemieux, but since he's american he'll be a good player, but not a hall of famer like Crosby. As for the goalie giving up weak goals, on "the move" the Swedish goalie was in the right position, it's just Phil is a good hockey player and got the puck past him.

If you look at the goal, there is barely anyroom to score yet somehow it goes through. On his third goal, yeah it was a weak tap in, but he went to net, never gave up on the play and got a goal and a much deserving Hat Trick. Also, the Swedish goalie broke his arm on that one. ;)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Like Reilly said, Kessel's talents will stand on it's own. Besides, Kovalchuk is a poor comparison as he is much bigger than Kessel ever will be.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Reilly311 said:
Phil Kessel is Phil Kessel. He'll make his own name thank you very much. If he's canadian then he's the next Lemieux, but since he's american he'll be a good player, but not a hall of famer like Crosby. As for the goalie giving up weak goals, on "the move" the Swedish goalie was in the right position, it's just Phil is a good hockey player and got the puck past him.

If you look at the goal, there is barely anyroom to score yet somehow it goes through. On his third goal, yeah it was a weak tap in, but he went to net, never gave up on the play and got a goal and a much deserving Hat Trick. Also, the Swedish goalie broke his arm on that one. ;)

Get over it buddy... I thought Kessel was incredible in two games this tournament but that doesn't mean he's Kovalchuk or even Crosby... he's had more ice than Crosby and a more important role in USA's offense...

He is playing awesome though... he reminds me of Modano the way he skates and releases his shots.. I think thats his upside (which is pretty damn good) only time will tell though like every player...

No one is saying Crosby is a hall of famer... he's just an exception young hockey player.. the best offensive junior player their is at such a young age, this is why he gets the attention... If he wasn't afraid to be benched by Sutter and he was playing his normal position and not only playing the PP he'd have even more points...

Not taking ANYTHING away from Kessel because as of this tournament I'd say he solidified his EARLY lead on the 2006 draft class... good for him.. he looks like he plays hard in big games.. and American hockey would love a start like that to come into their hands...

all just IMO

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Kessel doesn't look to small.. in the summer people were saying he was 5"9.5-5"10 170

He looks 6"0 185 to me , which isn't bad at all.... it's like a clone size of Brad Richards and he still has a little bit to grow maybe?

espo*

Reilly311 said:

Riley i really think you should settle down here...i am comparing him to a player because he reminds me of that particular player...i never said he was the guys long lost twin brother or something.....this has nothing to do with crosby so why are you going off on that? I'm trying to say the kid is a great player and somehow you turn that into an anti-Canadian rant where you attribute me saying(because i'm Canadian) that he'll only be an "o.k" player but no god like Lemieux or Crosby....where the hell do you get this stuff from anyway? You amaze me sometimes......God almighty.If i told you i thought Modano was the greatest player ever would you still find something to go nuts about? i don't get it :dunno:

Reilly311

ktownhockey said:
Get over it buddy... I thought Kessel was incredible in two games this tournament but that doesn't mean he's Kovalchuk or even Crosby... he's had more ice than Crosby and a more important role in USA's offense...

Thank you for proving my point. Also, Kessel earned his ice time and has become the US's best player unlike a certian oilers draft pick. :innocent:

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
ktownhockey said:

He is playing awesome though... he reminds me of Modano the way he skates and releases his shots.. I think thats his upside (which is pretty damn good) only time will tell though like every player...

No one is saying Crosby is a hall of famer... he's just an exception young hockey player.. the best offensive junior player their is at such a young age, this is why he gets the attention... If he wasn't afraid to be benched by Sutter and he was playing his normal position and not only playing the PP he'd have even more points...

Not taking ANYTHING away from Kessel because as of this tournament I'd say he solidified his EARLY lead on the 2006 draft class... good for him.. he looks like he plays hard in big games.. and American hockey would love a start like that to come into their hands...

all just IMO

I agree with every word, except that there are some (very) vocal posters who not only are saying Crosby is a hall of famer, but that he will be the best player (or maybe second best) ever. I think that is what draws the response from fans of others prospects.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Reilly311 said:
Thank you for proving my point. Also, Kessel earned his ice time and has become the US's best player unlike a certian oilers draft pick. :innocent:
Wow, you follow that post with this? Tell me why the coach shouldn't give that certain oilers pick more time. Borques gone, they lost two in a row. Who was going to play? He rolled 4 lines pretty well last night I thought.

Feb 24, 2004
Reilly311 said:

The idea is Phil Kessel made all three of the plays by himself, wonderful individual effort. However, and this is a big however, I think he lacks finishing ability. Sure he scored three goals, but it was the moves, not the goals that impressed you guys. First goal, a weak little shovel that the goalie had he been down properly, should've stopped. Second goal, the goalie didn't move!!! He should be able to kick out his pads on that. Third goal, had a wide open net and couldn't finish the job, got very lucky the goalie couldn't stop it.

Kessel is having a hard time getting a good shot off after making the play. We'll see if he can get that part of the game going.

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
I think kessel needs to play against a stronger "D" to get a real sense of his skills,
because most of his moves hes been doing are against weak defensive players. That being said he would never get away with some of those moves at a higher level as he would be knocked on his ass every time. But I still think he is a very good player, a crowd pleaser per say thats very exciting to watch, something the NHL doesn't have enough of, so I wish him the best.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Reilly311 said:

The goalie broke his arm? I didntknow that..guess thats why they pulled him after that 1 goal.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
cyclops said:
I think you are wrong...size is only one aspect....i think he plays like him a lot....how the hell is that dissing him? You should be so lucky as to be compared to Kovalchuk...and i stand by what i see.....he plays a lot like him. I think you and Reilly are losing your mind here a bit.......how on earth did you take that post as offensive? F#$%ing unbelieveable.

Kessel will never by as spectacular as Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk is the best drafted player in the last 10 years.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
ciggyboy said:
I think kessel needs to play against a stronger "D" to get a real sense of his skills,
because most of his moves hes been doing are against weak defensive players. That being said he would never get away with some of those moves at a higher level as he would be knocked on his ass every time. But I still think he is a very good player, a crowd pleaser per say thats very exciting to watch, something the NHL doesn't have enough of, so I wish him the best.

Kessel has already been making those kinds of plays and putting up points against D-1 college teams that have guys who are two to seven years older than he is. His opponents may not have NHL caliber strength but they are certainly guys who are stronger and more physical than what he is seeing in this tournament.

espo*

THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Kessel will never by as spectacular as Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk is the best drafted player in the last 10 years.
Maybe not but that was'nt my point at all,my point was that his playing style is very similar imo........similar skill set and way of playing.Why this has turned into a "he's not as big and he's his own man Goddammit!!" stuff is beyond me.Some people are losing their mind.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I didn't see all of the American's game last night, but I saw Kessel's first goal where he went end to end, and deked out the defenseman to score.

And there is no way he is going to get away with that in a higher league. Players get smarter, faster, and meaner. Any defensemen would have thrown him down in the NHL, except maybe Aki Berg.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
saillias said:
I didn't see all of the American's game last night, but I saw Kessel's first goal where he went end to end, and deked out the defenseman to score.
You should check out his 2nd goal...It was even sweeter...True, it is unlikely players in the NHL would get away with his moves, but his other 2 goals in the tournament (wrist shot & rebound) were without the flare...Also, remember, there are a handful of players who may be able to pull off some crazy moves in the NHL (i.e. Pavel Bure). I think Kessel is awesome, and I hope he continues to develop.

HughJass*

This goes back to my general point about this site: some of you are loony tunes.

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
Any chance after this turney Kessel will play in the OHL(i think Saginaw? has his rights)? No offense, but I don't think there i anything left for him to prove at the NTDP. I would really like to see how he would handle the tougher competition because I'm getting sick of all the naysayers saying he's too small. :cry: I love the way a guy like Phaneuf plays, but if you can't catch Kessel(i'm just generalizing) how can you hit him? I've coached alot of hockey an trust me what he can do at top speed you can't teach. I do agree a little with an above post about the finishing not quite there, but it doesn't bother much especially after that goal vs. Belarus where he settled a bouncing puck and fired it over the goalies shoulder.
Can we all stop being scouts and GMs for a second and just admire the kid for his talents. Heck if he were my kid I would be one proud dad-6'0 or not.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
If he's smart he'll play Div 1 College Hockey. At least if he doesn't pan out or gets a bad injury he'll have that to show for it.

espo*

St.Louis sports fan said:
Any chance after this turney Kessel will play in the OHL(i think Saginaw? has his rights)? No offense, but I don't think there i anything left for him to prove at the NTDP. I would really like to see how he would handle the tougher competition because I'm getting sick of all the naysayers saying he's too small. :cry: I love the way a guy like Phaneuf plays, but if you can't catch Kessel(i'm just generalizing) how can you hit him? I've coached alot of hockey an trust me what he can do at top speed you can't teach. I do agree a little with an above post about the finishing not quite there, but it doesn't bother much especially after that goal vs. Belarus where he settled a bouncing puck and fired it over the goalies shoulder.
Can we all stop being scouts and GMs for a second and just admire the kid for his talents. Heck if he were my kid I would be one proud dad-6'0 or not.
I'm trying to admire the kids talents but some people won't let you do it i guess......pretty incredible i think.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Who says I took offense? I just think Kovalchuk isn't an accurate comparison, but that's me. He reminds me of Pat Lafontaine a bit more.
You did'nt sound to happy..."Kessells talents will stand on there own" I'm sure they will and would'nt debate that.It's fine you don't think it's a good comparison but i don't see why size is the issue here...take size out and what style of play does he have that he reminds you of?I guess it's Lafontaine with you....fair enough....to me he looks similar in "style" to kovalchuk.Regardless of opinion no-one is saying he's a rip-off of this or that player.....thats what gets me.Thats what these boards do......we make comparisons and give opinions,if we can't do it then what are we going to talk about? Last nights episode of desperate housewives? I 'm not interested in that frankly.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i honestly don't think any of these plays in the WJC will be able to pull the moves they can now when (if) they're in the NHL. even crosby...even ovechkin.

really talented players make those moves work sometimes in the NHL, but most of the time the players wont' even try them unless they practically *know* they can get it to work, and even then they don't always work

i wouldn't single out kessel to make this point like some people are doing...the moves work for him now, good deal. as long as his game continues to progress and get better as he gets older, he'll always be able to pull them off *sometimes* but not as often and not as successfully (cuz you know, in the NHL even if you deke a guy out of his jock, he's likely to just haul you down with a hook or slash after you burn past him, and you'll be lucky if you get a call :shakehead ) but the same applies to every single other "uber prospect" out there

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I'm not saying this to insult Kessell, but he reminds me of Alexandre Daigle. He’s got a sick amount of speed and some solid one on one plays without great finishing skills. Daigle had no heart so I don't think this comparison will hold past junior. He's going to be a good NHLer; just not as good as some people are hyping him to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad