Kessel

AgentNaslund*

I think he can play in the NHL right away. Gaborik played in the NHL right away, and GAborik wasnt even as good as Kessel at the same time. The same with Justin Williams. Plus I believe Kessel is a little older then GAborik at the same point of going into the NHL right out of draft.

I be surprised if they decide to send him back to college. He is made for the NEW nnhl.

PLAY in the NHL? of course
PUt in Crosby or Ovechkin Numbers? Probably not.

His skating is NHL, which is probably the most import skill in hockey...

his skating is nhl, his shot is NHL, Hes got some crazy moves, why not?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
A clarification here...

Under NCAA rules, if Kessel wants to retain his collegiate eligibility, he can attend the prospects (or what some might call the "rookie") camp, provided that he pays his own way. If he attends the pro (the camp that the rest of the team attends), even if he pays his own way and is "trying it out", he loses his collegiate eligibility.

wildone26*

I dont think he will be ready to play in the NHL next year. As well saying he "probably would not" put up the numbers of Crosby and Ovechkin is a huge understatement. The WJs really exposed him and many of the other American boys as being overrated.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
There are a lot of reasons why Kessel will not be in the NHL next year. Hopefully he can learn a lot and develop with another year or two in college and perhaps some time in the AHL. Judging by the World Championships, he's not close to NHL ready yet. He'll get there, but he's a good couple years away from playing on a 2nd line in the NHL.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
wildone26 said:
I dont think he will be ready to play in the NHL next year. As well saying he "probably would not" put up the numbers of Crosby and Ovechkin is a huge understatement. The WJs really exposed him and many of the other American boys as being overrated.

If the WJC exposed the "American boys," as being overrated, would you please explain how Jonathan Toews (2 assists) and Jordan Staal (didn't make it) are any better? And please don't bring up Staal's age, Kessel was younger last year and still had a good tournament.

I'll remind you that Kessel did lead the tournament in scoring, and that Mueller had a decent showing with 4-5 points.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
wildone26 said:

You would be right if the WJC's were the be all end all when it comes to evaluating talent and predicting future success......... The problem is, they aren't. Keep trying though!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
My take on Kessel is he isn't ready to be a key contributer at the next level but if he happened to find himself on a pro roster could probably do enough to keep himself in the lineup

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
My take on Kessel is he isn't ready to be a key contributer at the next level but if he happened to find himself on a pro roster could probably do enough to keep himself in the lineup

I agree. HOPEFULLY he stays with the Gophers at least 1 more yr..Wins an NCAA title along side EJ, Wheeler, Okposo, etc. Then jumps to the NHL. Wishful thinking since I suspect EJ jumps right to the NHL.
:yo: :yo:

Transported Upstater

Oilers Chick said:
Under NCAA rules, if Kessel wants to retain his collegiate eligibility, he can attend the prospects (or what some might call the "rookie") camp, provided that he pays his own way. If he attends the pro (the camp that the rest of the team attends), even if he pays his own way and is "trying it out", he loses his collegiate eligibility.

Ah, very interesting! Didn't know that. Thanks OC.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Oilers Chick said:

Doesn't this end up hurting the NCAA more than helping, at least in the case of hockey?

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
I say that if whoever drafts him is smart, they'll send him back to the Goofers for at least another season.

The reason is he's just learning the team game. He tried to carry the USA's hopes on his back during the WJC last January. He tried to do too much. He tried to make every trip up the ice a highlight reel, gamebreaker. He didn't use his teammates. The opposition just keyed on him and shut just him down.

Playing for the Goofers, he'll be keyed on every game and will really learn to produce under even more pressure. He'll be expected to carry the team. To do that he'll need to use his linemates better and pick his times when he's going to dictate the pace and play. He'll be first team on both special teams, powerplay for sure. He'll also likely be involved in some 'money' games. The Goofers will likely make the NCAA playoffs and he'll compete in the WCHA Frozen Five. This will pay off down the road when whoever drafts him will know that he's a playoff tested (at least NCAA playoffs).

The Big E

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think hes NHL ready,far from dominant, but ready in the sense that he would learn more in the NHL than anywhere else. Very talented players does not learn by dominating a league.

He would already be one of the NHL speed merchant.(Hes that fast) His presence at WC seems to confirms that, anyone who saw the tournament didnt see someone far from reaching the NHL level, to the contrary. Give him 10-15lbs of strenght training and he as a place in the lineup of any team that draft him in the first 5.(Combine score was low! That tells me theres some unseen potential from him with NHL training) A forward aint a D. EJ will prob play more NCAA since passing every hurdle is more important for a D.

What you need to play in the NHL:
Forwards=Talent/Upside
D= Confidence, Confidence, Confidence, Confidence.

I say he makes the lineup, struggle the first 30 games, then increasingly takes more responsabilities, bit like crosby but on a much lower curve, maybe reaching 50-60 pts depending of the team.(More or much less).

I also think he got the skill set witch make him the most likely NHL player in the draft for next year with Backstrom.

Not every team acts like the habs and send all their prospect into a slide into confidence destruction to after try to collect the pieces.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
thomasincanada said:
Doesn't this end up hurting the NCAA more than helping, at least in the case of hockey?

Not necessarily. It gives NHL teams a chance to actually get a glimpse of how their "draft investments" development and progress are going. Often times, players get a look and then are just sent right back to their collegiate teams. The ones who are ready at that time, will (likely) be signed soon thereafter and invited to the regular team camp. From there, they either make the big club (if they're lucky enough) or sent to the AHL. Those who are sent back to their respective collegiate teams will be monitored from time to time during the following season (this is especially true during holiday tournament time and in the so-called "big matchup games" such as a Minnesota vs. North Dakota tilt).

Transporter: You're welcome. Glad to be of some help.

Rabid: I agree. As much as I like Kessel and all, I do think that another year at the "U" would help him tremendously. I would venture to guess that the Gopher nation would love Kessel back for one more year too. ;)

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Oilers Chick said:
Rabid: I agree. As much as I like Kessel and all, I do think that another year at the "U" would help him tremendously. I would venture to guess that the Gopher nation would love Kessel back for one more year too. ;)

Yes please........We also need EJ for a yr or two!!!!!!!!!
:yo: :bow:

Goldy

Feb 28, 2002
Minneapolis
Visit site
He's not ready for the NHL yet. He needs to get stronger, and his game needs to mature. AHL ready, perhaps.

Different teams have different philosophies on letting players develop in the NCAA. St. Louis, New Jersey, and San Jose for example, like to keep players in college where they get pretty good coaching and can work on the fundamentals more. Some teams (e.g. Buffalo) do this to save money - why pay a guy if in college he gets the same training for free.

Other teams, such as Calgary, prefer their prospects in the CHL or in the minors where their own coaches can work with them.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
TransportedUpstater said:
Personally, I give Kessel one more year at Minnesota, and then a year in the AHL.

Why? Phil Kessel is the type of player that MUST be on a scoring line to be effective. His game does not extrapolate to a NHL checking line. Therefore, he must be ready to make an impact in the NHL the moment he gets there, because he'll have to be on a 2nd line or so. I think a year in the AHL after his sophomore campaign at Minnesota would dramatically improve his readiness to play on a NHL scoring line.

If he goes to the Pens, as is expected, I don't think he would have any trouble being on a scoring line. His shot (it needs a little work, but is already NHL caliber IMO) and speed alone are good enough to put up some decent rookie points. He's a smart player. Throw in playing with Malkin or Crosby he would make out just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad