Kessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I ve said it many times. I love the 2006 draft. May not be deep but all the top talent is going Minnesotas way. Kessel, Mueller, Okoposo and Johnson.
We will see what Mueller can do with no Kessell. He is a fairly big kid with an all around game. And will only get bigger and better. But when u score like Kessel does it will hard to knock him out of the number 1 spot.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
AnThGrt said:
Well comparison is:
Kessel - Modano
Frolik - Jagr

I'd take Jagr 10000000 times before i'd take a Modano

but Kessel is also more likely to reach a Modano-like upside than Frolik is to reach the supernatural level of ability Jagr possesses. When Jagr is on...there's not a single player in the world better, right now. Not Iginla, not Naslund, not even Forsberg. I just can't imagine Frolik having that kind of potential.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
mercury said:
How about Joensuu? Sounds like there is some outrageous talent at the top end in 2006.

I honestly have to ask what it is about him that's so special. The points he puts up in the Finnish junior league aren't comparable to previous elite Finns (Joensuu this year had 7 goals and 8 assists for 15 points in 13 games - Tukonen last year had 14 goals and 9 assists for 23 points in 14 games) and he almost never puts up points in international tournaments (through twelve U18 games, four as an underager, he's got one assist - through thirteen U18 games, six as an underager, Kessel has twenty four points including seventeen goals). It would be one thing if he were only a little behind but those are massive shortcomings.

I know he's a very big kid but what are his skills?

CH Wizard

AnThGrt said:
Well comparison is:
Kessel - Modano
Frolik - Jagr

I'd take Jagr 10000000 times before i'd take a Modano

There'll be no other Jaromir Jagr.Jagr is so lazy but he always finds a way to score 30 goals without even putting some efforts.You saw how he was dangerous when he was younger? Didn't you? Frolik plays with grit and determination , I'd compare him to a more skilled/more disicplined , Adam Deadmarch

I like the Kessel , Modano comparison.Kessel isn't afraid to go in the traffic and take a lot of shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Great One said:
There'll be no other Jaromir Jagr.Jagr is so lazy but he always finds a way to score 30 goals without even putting some efforts.You saw how he was dangerous when he was younger? Didn't you?

I like the Kessel , Modano comparison.Kessel isn't afraid to go in the traffic and take a lot of shots.

Going on the world cup from last year...and then this season in Russia...Jagr is playing like he cares again..and that's a very, very deadly thing. I'll never forget that incredible Czech\Canada game back in the World Cup, where Jagr had Regehr and two other Canadians helplessly chasing him around the ice. That's no small feat.

Like you say, I doubt there'll be a player like that for a long, long time...and if Frolik were truly that good, he'd be as hyped as Crosby is.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
AnThGrt said:
Personally i'd take Frolik easilly before Kessel and have seen both i like both but Frolik i find the better player and Czech generally are better then American....

Yeah, you gotta love that innate hockey talent in Czech blood that just doesn't exist in Americans.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
cagney said:
I honestly have to ask what it is about him that's so special. The points he puts up in the Finnish junior league aren't comparable to previous elite Finns (Joensuu this year had 7 goals and 8 assists for 15 points in 13 games - Tukonen last year had 14 goals and 9 assists for 23 points in 14 games) and he almost never puts up points in international tournaments (through twelve U18 games, four as an underager, he's got one assist - through thirteen U18 games, six as an underager, Kessel has twenty four points including seventeen goals). It would be one thing if he were only a little behind but those are massive shortcomings.

I know he's a very big kid but what are his skills?

That's exactly what I thought after the WJHC's. I don't see what is so special about him. He is huge and he's got decent skills but he's missing something. I don't want to say he looked like he didn't belong at the WJHC, but he certainly didn't impress me very much.

espo*

Epsilon said:
Kessel reminds me of Nik Zherdev in terms of skillset.
Or Kovalchuk,skill set and playng style wise.I don't care if he's not the same size....he lplays a lot like him from what i saw.I don't see the Weight comparison at this point,plays way different to me.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Kessel/Modano comparison makes no sense. One is 6'3'' and left handed the other is 5'11'' and right-handed. They dont play the same style. Zherdev is actually a good comparison for Kessel.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
From insidecollegehockey.com article.

"At 5-foot-10 and 160 pounds, Kessel is a dynamic player with offensive flair. While small now, he still has room to grow – remember, he won’t be 17 until Oct. 2. Kessel cites Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic as his favorite players; scouts compare his combination of skating and scoring ability to another American, Mike Modano."

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
monster_bertuzzi said:
The Kessel/Modano comparison makes no sense. One is 6'3'' and left handed the other is 5'11'' and right-handed. They dont play the same style. Zherdev is actually a good comparison for Kessel.

I'm not a huge fan of the Kessel/Modano comparison either, but it doesn't have to do with them not being the same size, which has nothing to do with it really. I actually prefer the Kessel/Lafontaine comparison.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
mercury said:
I've read some Frolik=Jagr comparisons. Is this accurate, in either style or upside? Also, who does Kessel remind you of?

Bulls... They are both from Kladno. That´s about it. And comparing him to anyone at the age of 16 is pretty...early :)

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
nomorekids said:
but Kessel is also more likely to reach a Modano-like upside than Frolik is to reach the supernatural level of ability Jagr possesses. When Jagr is on...there's not a single player in the world better, right now. Not Iginla, not Naslund, not even Forsberg. I just can't imagine Frolik having that kind of potential.

True

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Joensuu is 6'4, it takes much more time for him to learn to control his body than with midgets like Kessel. He has the talent, he has the skills. When he fills his body & learns to control it, watch out.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
Joensuu is 6'4, it takes much more time for him to learn to control his body than with midgets like Kessel. He has the talent, he has the skills. When he fills his body & learns to control it, watch out.

Man, the way people like you talk, one would think Kessel is Brian Gionta sized, which he isn't.

Sticky*

Id watch out for Jordan Staal. Although probably not 1st, he will be making a push for the top 10 next year. Possible top 5. He has really hit his stride lately, and will have a great season next year.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Man, the way people like you talk, one would think Kessel is Brian Gionta sized, which he isn't.

Well, at 5'11 he's a midget compared to Joensuu. Big players like Joensuu usually take much more time to reach their potential.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Rabid Ranger said:

5-10 160 is small he has lots of time to fill out and get stronger and its possible he could grow but as of right now he is a small player and for a small player he is not very strong. That being said he is an icredibly dynamic young player and i wouldn't consider taking Joensu(sp?) over him right now. If he is able to increase his strength i think he will go first overall but right now I would take Frolik.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
vanwychen27 said:
5-10 160 is small he has lots of time to fill out and get stronger and its possible he could grow but as of right now he is a small player and for a small player he is not very strong. That being said he is an icredibly dynamic young player and i wouldn't consider taking Joensu(sp?) over him right now. If he is able to increase his strength i think he will go first overall but right now I would take Frolik.

Kessel is not that small. He is closer to 6' and 180 lbs. I know that isn't massive, but he's not as tiny as people are making him out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad