Kessel wants to be paid

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It's called standard negotiations. Bruins will probably give him the max before training camp begins anyways.

People are making too big a deal out of this.

I guess so...but the pros would be saving 100 grand/year over 3 years...the cons are pissing off the kid you just took 5th overall, and his agent...which will likely be negotiating his 2nd contract.

Just give him the max...its not like the team will save millions on this negotiation.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
But he's officially out of the NCAA, then, either way? I mean if they are negotiating. Or is that kid from all the combine interview-bashfest threads really handling "standard negotiations" all by himself. Uh-huh. Advisors? Uh-huh. I wonder where the line gets drawn? :dunno:

His eligability in NCAA only expires when a contract is agreed upon.
Negotiating doesn't mean agreement.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I hope he signs. I think he could handle the NHL game this year and put up solid numbers for a player his age.

Do the Bruins plan on playing Chris Collins?

Re:Collins
If he has a great camp, he could.
Likely Providence with call ups.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
His eligability in NCAA only expires when a contract is agreed upon.
Negotiating doesn't mean agreement.

Except I thought that NCAA players couldn't have an agent, hence can't be in negotiations, much, right? Well, ok, obviously NCAA players do get signed and have "talks" with player "advisors" all the time... and it gets swept under the carpet all the time... but is there a point at which the publicity level of the "negotiation" actually makes too big of a bump under the carpet? :dunno:

Bruzin

Jan 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
I guess so...but the pros would be saving 100 grand/year over 3 years...the cons are pissing off the kid you just took 5th overall, and his agent...

Can you blame Boston for negotiating? If you could save 100 000/yr on every contract, then you're looking at a lot of extra cap space. Everyone groans about paying top dollar for UFAs, but when it comes to players who haven't even played a game in the NHL, people are more than happy to throw around the max figure.

With that said, I bet Kessel gets the max. The Bruins were the FIRST team to give the old rookie max, so I doubt this is that big of a deal. I suspect the bonus clauses are the real issue.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Except I thought that NCAA players couldn't have an agent, hence can't be in negotiations, much, right? Well, ok, obviously NCAA players do get signed and have "talks" with player "advisors" all the time... and it gets swept under the carpet all the time... but is there a point at which the publicity level of the "negotiation" actually makes too big of a bump under the carpet? :dunno:

His "agent" is probably working for free...acting as an advisor to Kessel...under the understanding that he will be his paid agent after he leaves school.

wink wink, nudge nudge lol

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003

Negotiating doesn't mean you're a pro athlete.
They're negiotiating to go from being amateur to professional.
Until a deal is signed, they're amateur.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Can you blame Boston for negotiating? If you could save 100 000/yr on every contract, then you're looking at a lot of extra cap space. Everyone groans about paying top dollar for UFAs, but when it comes to players who haven't even played a game in the NHL, people are more than happy to throw around the max figure.

With that said, I bet Kessel gets the max. The Bruins were the FIRST team to give the old rookie max, so I doubt this is that big of a deal. I suspect the bonus clauses are the real issue.

Yes, but they have no leveraging power...he was taken 5th overall...the rookie max is what he deserves and it is what has been set over the last few years. Its different when youre talking about UFA's and RFA's...there isnt really a set amount that those players get, except with Qualifying Offers.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Negotiating doesn't mean you're a pro athlete.
They're negiotiating to go from being amateur to professional.
Until a deal is signed, they're amateur.

Than why arent they allowed to have an agent while they play in the NCAA? If they havent signed a deal than having an agent would be allowed, but its against NCAA rules.

Its all wink wink, nudge nudge kind of stuff.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
"Agents" aren't allowed.
"Advisors" are allowed and usually the "advisor" becomes the agent once the deal is made.

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
Sid Hartman is a fool

Take anything that Sid Hartman says with a grain of salt. And specifically take this grain: He's a fool who often doesn't have the slightest idea what he's talking about. And this pertains to the sports that he's supposed to know something about ... football, baseball and basketball. If you can substantiate that this negotiation is happening anywhere else, then Sid probably heard it from them.

Take it from someone who's read Sid's drivel for decades...

The Big E

Roger's Pancreas*

I actually think he is ready. Another year of scoring over a point per game in NCAA will do nothing for him.

Not to bust your balls too much, but the Gophers lost a few solid players this off-season. Kessel will be forced to play a much bigger role and his game can only improve from it. I know that he'll have to improve to even make the NHL, but it could be destructive for his development if he isn't mature enough for it. The same can't really be said for the NCAA.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
wow is this shot at habs prospect?

wow 1 guy might have what it takes to be a 2nd liner.
Congrats, plan the route de parade.:biglaugh:

If it is just checkout habs ranking since 2001, they have constantly been rated top five, and you'll soon see why real soon, we already have Komisarek, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Hoggins penciled in for this years line up, and others aren't far behind!!

This is ironic coming from bruins fan who just lost their top two players from 97 draft in Thorton, Samsonov if nothing else please take care of your own team!! Atleast habs don't trade away their MVP players like Boston does!!

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
If it is just checkout habs ranking since 2001, they have constantly been rated top five, and you'll soon see why real soon, we already have Komisarek, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Hoggins penciled in for this years line up, and others aren't far behind!!

This is ironic coming from bruins fan who just lost their top two players from 97 draft in Thorton, Samsonov if nothing else please take care of your own team!! Atleast habs don't trade away their MVP players like Boston does!!

Yeah its a shot, because the rankings are fluff anyway. Who is so great on the Habs list that makes them top 5?
BTW you guys trade your MVPs too. Theodore wasn't MVP? OLE OLE OLE!:biglaugh:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think he's still a year away. The best thing that could happen to him would be return for a second year at the U of Minnesota, let him have a monster year, maybe win the national championship. Then bring him up next year.

He had a productive first year in the NCAA, but he wasn't the unstoppable force that many expected him to be. At the WJC, he piled up the points against Norway, and was a force on the PP, but at full strength, I was underwhelmed. (To me, the defining moment of his tournament was in the third period against Canada, when he tried his little deke on Ryan Parent and was pushed off the puck. It kind of summed up his tournament perfectly: the things that worked for him the year before weren't working this year, at lease at even strength). When his team needed him, he was in hiding.

A lot of what we saying about Kessel now is what we said about David Legwand eight years. We raved about the same things - the skill, the speed, the shot. Kessel obviously had more hype entering his draft season than Legwand, who emerged out of near-obscurity to go No. 2 in a strong draft.

Kessel has world class skills. He could be a dynamic point producer. But he needs to go back to college to work on the proverbial tool box to match his skill set. He'll look very out of place at the NHL level. He's better off in college than in the AHL. Another year at the NCAA would do wonders, especially with the team Minnesota could be icing.

Just Joshin'

Mar 11, 2004
Take anything that Sid Hartman says with a grain of salt. And specifically take this grain: He's a fool who often doesn't have the slightest idea what he's talking about.

The Big E

Well said, I was about to write something similar when I saw Sid was the source.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad