kessel vs. hall vs. getzlaf

Discussion in 'General Fantasy Talk' started by c4rdsh4rk, Sep 30, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. c4rdsh4rk

c4rdsh4rk Registered User

points only (total points by end of season), 1 year pool

pick only 1

Phil Kessel
    Taylor Hall
    Ryan Getzlaf

heres my thoughts:

not sure who would be the safe pick but im thinking getzlaf slightly edges kessel.

as for most potential i have to say hall.

as for a combo between safe and potential i would pick kessel.

hall is currently without edmontons top 2 centers (gagner & nugent-hopkins -- not sure how long they are out..) and apparently hall is currently playing center. i think he can handle it fine and still has loads of talent around him. downside is he normally plays wing so there could be a negative difference and also he has been injury prone although not highly likely he misses significant time this year.

getzlaf is the veteran and before missing time was on a consistent high end pace. slumped for 1 season but got it back together in last years short season. still in his late twenties so could easily match career numbers (90+ points).

kessel still needs to prove his consistency but has the high end potential to reach new heights like hall although more a safe bet to reach his previous 2 seasons performance rather than shatter career marks like hall could do this year. kessel also seems pretty solid for playing a full season more so than the other two. downside is that toronto needs to prove themselves as a team and kessels linemates also need to prove themselves. kessel is on the final year of his contract and im not sure if there is any pressure that could negatively effect him (could be a positive thing as its normally seen from a fantasy standpoint).

originally i was going with kessel but the more i think about it the less im sure. could use some help. thanks.

2. Cappy

Cappy belgians do it best

kessel/hall/getzlaf for me, kessel should be fine in toronto and i think he's the best mix of upside and consistency, if hall stays healthy he'll get his and is the biggest risk/reward of the three, i think if you have the choice between these three and you go getzlaf you're playing it too safe

3. slozo

slozo Registered User

I think Hall is well below Kessel and Getzlaf.

I'd probably go Getlaf first over Kessel . . . but it's a pick-em IMHO.

4. Keggatron

Keggatron Registered User

Not really sure how the previous poster has Hall "well below" seeing as they were all similar in points last year but I guess get your barbs in where you can.

I'm an Oiler fan so I'd definitely take Hall, I know how good he is and get to watch him on a game to game basis. That said, as much as it pains me to say this, your best bet is probably taking Kessel. Definitely take a winger over a center. You can find capable centers down the draft.

5. Seventeen Twos

Seventeen Twos Registered User

I tend to value wingers over centers so:

Kessel>Getzlaf>>>Hall

6. Cappy

Cappy belgians do it best

Hall had better points per game stats than Getzlaf last year and he is a wing not a center, not sure how you justify all those less thans you put btwn him and getz

7. Greek_physique

Greek_physique Caron - Legit SNIPER

I'd go with Kessel.

He's proven over the last 2 years that he can be in the top 10 in scoring while being a healthy player as well.

With Getzlaf / Hall, there's a slight chance they could get hurt.

8. dim jim

dim jim Passing the Torch

Hall
    Getzlaf
    Kessel

9. I Am Ziggy Palffy

I Am Ziggy Palffy Registered User

After today's signing, Kessel lost value in eyes.

Whenever a player is playing for a contract, he seems to excel. But when trying to play up to a contract, his play usually suffers. Wouldn't be surprised if that opposite effect happens here.

With that said, I still see Kessel as a PPG player w/ potential for 40 goals. Not much loss there.