Kessel Vs. Frolik

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Kind of hypocritical since you're the one dragging nationality into this. I haven't brought up nationality once in this thread.
No but you'll post in this thread in defense on Kessel because he IS American.

Just like you'll make favourable comments about Liles on the NHL board because he IS American.

Does that mean your opinions on every American player/prospect are not valid ? Not at all.

You've been on these boards a long time and there's definitely a HUGE trend with you defending American players/prospects. There are Canadian posters who do the same.

I don't see how it is hypocritical at all.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
More reminds me of Michalek (SJ). A poor man's Gaborik, if you will.
I used to think of him as a smaller version of Frolov. Mostly because of his sense and well rounded game. Another poster made a comparison to Havlat and I think thats the best that I've heard.

AgentNaslund*

Rabid Ranger said:
Kind of hypocritical since you're the one dragging nationality into this. I haven't brought up nationality once in this thread.

WE all know you never brought up nationalty but everyone knows that, by the language and they way you talk when it comes to Phil Kessel, its pretty obvious your a Kessel Homer. dont deny it.

Transported Upstater

AgentNaslund said:
WE all know you never brought up nationalty but everyone knows that, by the language and they way you talk when it comes to Phil Kessel, its pretty obvious your a Kessel Homer. dont deny it.

Even if he is, you calling him a nationalist homer is definitely a case of the pot calling the kettle black ;)

As for Frolik, I haven't seen him play often enough to comment. Kessel is raw, but his skill set is IMPOSING. He's not Crosby, and never will be, but he's brutally hard to defend 1-on-1, and his skating and shot are simply amazing for a teenager.

He's a tremendous prospect. But he is definitely not ready for the NHL yet. He needs more work on playing a structured, team-oriented game, as he can be a bit of an individualist. He's not selfish, but he is used to being the sole #1 player everyone tries to get the puck to, and UMinn prefers more balance than that.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
#66 said:
I used to think of him as a smaller version of Frolov. Mostly because of his sense and well rounded game. Another poster made a comparison to Havlat and I think thats the best that I've heard.

I don't think he has near the offensive potential of either Frolov or Havlat. I mean, he was decent in the WJCs but not where he should be if he has their potentials. I think he'll be a solid player, but not as spectacular as some are saying.

Sticky*

Jon Prescription said:
I don't think he has near the offensive potential of either Frolov or Havlat. I mean, he was decent in the WJCs but not where he should be if he has their potentials. I think he'll be a solid player, but not as spectacular as some are saying.

Dont forget, he was 16 when you saw him at the WJC's. He'll be much more dominant this year.

Remember, Spezza wasnt every impressive at all at the WJC's when he was 16, nor was he really at 17 either.

Im not comparing the two, im just stating a point.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
As others, I agree that Frolik is no longer the consensus #2 behind Kessel, depending on what type of player teams are looking for, will determine where he is taken.

Frolov is a very good example of the type of player Frolik is, when we are talking about overall and especially the defensive side of their game, I don't think he has as much potential offensively as Frolov, but only time will tell.

In my eyes, Joensuu is one of the top forwards in this draft, I'm a big fan of his game. I really doubt he will go ahead of such players as Mueller,Toews,Little,Sheppard and others, but I can definatly see him going ahead of Frolik, as far as European players go.

These upcoming tournaments are going to be a real indication of how far along these players have developed, and will give us a better idea on how they stack up against one another.

Kroz

Mar 26, 2005
BlueAndWhite said:
Just like you'll make favourable comments about Liles on the NHL board because he IS American.

See the forum I post in usually, and my nationality. I still don't care about being hypocritical saying that liles is actually deserving of the talk. :p:

In regards to Kessel, right now things are relatively dubious, and he has not completely convinced us beyond a shadow of doubt. Perhaps he will, perhaps someone else might have a great run and take it. Who is to say? Who cares? Is this really quite the subject we should speak about? Why not actually talk objectively about what these players could mean to the nhl in their own respective rights, instead of redundant threads and foolish veiled nationalism?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
AgentNaslund said:
That's so true. By the tone and the language, it is quite evident that there's an American bias.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Canuck21t said:
That's so true. By the tone and the language, it is quite evident that there's an American bias.

AgentNaslund is one of the biggest Canadian homers on these boards so he shouldn't be calling anyone anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad