Kessel vs. Crosby: Hype Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Vlad The Impaler said:
I took it as meaning undrafted amateur kids. It's a poor draft year for Russia according to many observers. (I don't know how true this is, I haven't seen the Russian kids).

Alex Vasyunov is considered a potential top 5 selection for the 2006 draft. You're right about there not being much this year though.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Epsilon said:
Alex Vasyunov is considered a potential top 5 selection for the 2006 draft. You're right about there not being much this year though.
Apparently Vasyunov has performed poorly in international events. If he was as good as Frolik or Kessel he would have gotten invited to Russia's camp.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Crosby's future

I simply can't stand these people who seem to want Crosby to fail. What are they thinking?. If there is anything the NHL will need after a lockout, it's an American team from a non tradition market, like say, Atlanta or Florida drafting Sidney Crosby and him becoming a star like no other since Lemeiux and Gretzky.

I could care less who it is and where they are from, the NHL simply needs new players to come in and rewrite the record books to generate excitement for the league in these darkest of times for Hockey.

I hope Frolik is a star, I hope Crosby is a star, I hope Kessel is a star, and I hope that Finnish kid is too.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Epsilon said:

Good to know. What do you know about the kid? Is he a forward?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Tb0ne said:
I simply can't stand these people who seem to want Crosby to fail. What are they thinking?. If there is anything the NHL will need after a lockout, it's an American team from a non tradition market, like say, Atlanta or Florida drafting Sidney Crosby and him becoming a star like no other since Lemeiux and Gretzky.

I could care less who it is and where they are from, the NHL simply needs new players to come in and rewrite the record books to generate excitement for the league in these darkest of times for Hockey.

I hope Frolik is a star, I hope Crosby is a star, I hope Kessel is a star, and I hope that Finnish kid is too.

That strikes me as unlikely for a number of reasons. To rewrite the record book you would need an amazing phenom like I haven't seen (and well surrounded too), or a crapload of NHL rules changes.

They're talking about rules changes but I don't know how drastic it will be in the end. You can't change the game too much, and you can't change it too quickly either.

I think there is a chance the record book will change over time, but it's not going to happen right after the lockout. The current NHL just isn't built for breaking its past records, except the defensive ones.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
Apparently Vasyunov has performed poorly in international events.

That's true from what I've heard. I remember Predatore saying Vasyunov wasn't that impressive at a tournament late last year. I also heard that he wasn't that great at the tournament last November in Rochester.

I wonder if he's still living off the hype of his amazing stats (breaking Ovechkin's goal scoring record) as a 13/14 year old.

espo*

Ill stay out of this one and leave the roasting of this arnie guy to someone better prepared to tell him off and yet keep their own cool.My question is why has'nt he been publicly warned right here on this thread by the moderators for this baiting? I've noticed differences in who and what gets warned that seems to be based on certain factors which i'm not going to get into but there is a trend.Very interesting but maddening at the same time.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
cyclops said:
My question is why has'nt he been publicly warned right here on this thread by the moderators for this baiting? I've noticed differences in who and what gets warned that seems to be based on certain factors which i'm not going to get into but there is a trend.Very interesting but maddening at the same time.

Since the Reilly kid also posts inflammatory content without ever being warned, I can't say I'm surprised.

Based on recent threads, all I can say is that it looks like certain Americans would like to make everything pertaining to prospects about their nationality.

Bobby Ryan gets knocked out by Bourret and that sucks because he's American. And we Canadians are mean. Kessel isn't recognized as the next Crosby and that's because he's American. And Phaneuf and all Canadian players are a bunch of goons because they're Canadians.

Those are all posts that have been allowed to remain by moderators here. I have no ****ing idea why but it's grating.

And according to that Arnie kid, we Canadians are just a bunch of people with insecurities. That's just great.

Looks like the insecurity is on the other side of the fence to me.

espo*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Since the Reilly kid also posts inflammatory content without ever being warned, I can't say I'm surprised.

Based on recent threads, all I can say is that it looks like certain Americans would like to make everything pertaining to prospects about their nationality.

Bobby Ryan gets knocked out by Bourret and that sucks because he's American. And we Canadians are mean. Kessel isn't recognized as the next Crosby and that's because he's American. And Phaneuf and all Canadian players are a bunch of goons because they're Canadians.

Those are all posts that have been allowed to remain by moderators here. I have no ****ing idea why but it's grating.

And according to that Arnie kid, we Canadians are just a bunch of people with insecurities. That's just great.

Great points and i it's comforting to see i'm not the only person who has noticed this around here.It may be my imagination but it seems like the mods are right on top of any canuck who even mildly steps over the line.Threads are locked,sermons are given and generally they are called out as insecure buffoons.On the other hand,i've seen tons and i mean tons of flagrant sure to get heated responses baiting from American posters on issues where only legitimate discussion should have happened and nothing happens in terms of disiplining them.....until that is when the canuck posters fire back.....then you get the closed down threads,sermons,etc,etc.it's diisapointing and frustrating and is beginning to become so obvious that i can't see why they are'nt feeling embarrassed about it.I'd like to check the nationalities of the moderators on here,my guess is that it's about 80 to 90% American which i don't mind at all as long as they call it fair across the board.Hopefully this situation will improve in the near future.Until then i'm personally going to try to do a better job staying out of those falks which as a newbie member i have failed to do very effectively in the past.But it's hard to take when stuff is only being called on one side.Still,i'm really going to try hard to commit to my goal if possible.the mods could make it easier on everyone if they were consistent on all sides.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
I'm gonna say that your message is baiting to a certain point also.Prove me wrong.

I'm not baiting anyone. If you take anyone (whether its a person, team, country, etc) who has been on top in one discipline for a long time, that "x" is bound to be protective of its position, and a bit cantankerous if they fall from the pedestal, even for a brief moment. The U.S. is guilty of that kind of behavior in more than one area, such as basketball.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:

I won't deny that that kind of behavior goes on around here, but Canadians are just as guilty of it as Americans are. This board as a whole is somewhat defined by Americans vs everyone else, from hockey related issues to political ones. Do I like it? Not really, but what are you going to do? When you're from the Evil Empire, one's hair on the back of their neck is always going to be standing straight up.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
cyclops said:
i've seen tons and i mean tons of flagrant sure to get heated responses baiting from American posters on issues where only legitimate discussion should have happened and nothing happens in terms of disiplining them.....until that is when the canuck posters fire back.....then you get the closed down threads,sermons,etc,etc.

I certainly know what you mean there. I have had posts disappear when I replied to that clown Reilly a few days ago.

You're taking a wise course of action by staying away from those threads but I'm afraid I can't do that. I'm tempted too easily :innocent:

Reilly311

Vlad The Impaler said:

I got warned earlier today actually. Now go back to your hole.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Rabid Ranger said:
I won't deny that that kind of behavior goes on around here, but Canadians are just as guilty of it as Americans are. This board as a whole is somewhat defined by Americans vs everyone else, from hockey related issues to political ones. Do I like it? Not really, but what are you going to do? When you're from the Evil Empire, one's hair on the back of their neck is always going to be standing straight up.

We have a somewhat particular political landscape right now. Lots of tensions and everything. That being said, I come here to relax and talk about hockey. I don't want everything to turn into a patriotic fight.

Ever since the recent WJC, it seems things have taken a turn for the worse. I have had enough of Reilly particularly. Canadians and Russians and everybody does it, you're right. And I find it just as insulting when they do.

But if you haven't seen there is an issue the last few weeks, I don't know what to say.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
I agree we do it as much as anyone.Where the difference lies imo is who the mods focus on and police,and that seems to be our side.It does'nt make sense and gets things going worse.

espo*

Vlad The Impaler said:
I certainly know what you mean there. I have had posts disappear when I replied to that clown Reilly a few days ago.

You're taking a wise course of action by staying away from those threads but I'm afraid I can't do that. I'm tempted too easily :innocent:
i have a difficult time myself but i'm gonna do my best to get better,though i can't make any promises either.I would'nt be half as bad if i saw the moderators being fair on this issue,that's where i get all rankled,i just feel that i have to stand up for our own since the mods are'nt closing them down,only us most of the time.if that stuff would stop i am sure things would get better around here. To me it seems it's time to police the police.Should'nt have had to come to this point really.

Old Hickory

cyclops said:
Ill stay out of this one and leave the roasting of this arnie guy to someone better prepared to tell him off and yet keep their own cool.My question is why has'nt he been publicly warned right here on this thread by the moderators for this baiting? I've noticed differences in who and what gets warned that seems to be based on certain factors which i'm not going to get into but there is a trend.Very interesting but maddening at the same time.
we can't be everywhere at once. Reporting posts like his really help us out

Old Hickory

Rabid Ranger said:
It's a select group, It's not Canadians and it's not Americans. It's select group of individuals from each country.
You can help us by reporting the posts.

Your posts get deleted when these "battles" break out if you quote the problem post

espo*

kingsjohn said:
we can't be everywhere at once. Reporting posts like his really help us out
I understand you can't be everywhere at once,you're only human.You never seem to miss me however :) Anyway...my bet is things will get better here now because of this thread,it'll probably calm everyone (most)down and get all of us to step back and try just to concentrate on the issue at hand.

AgentNaslund*

Kessel is not even nearly as good as Crosby, how the crap are we suppose to give him the same hype as Crosby? It doesent even make sense, how some americans, will use Kessel, as a counter attack to Canadians, "Oh you ahve Crosby, we have Kessel." THat is so immature. If Phil Kessel was Canadian even he wouldnt be getting that hype as Crosby. Get that in your head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
"Oh you ahve Crosby, we have Kessel."

When they say that I think they mean, "You have a future great player to lead your national team, so do we"

Of course Kessel won't be as good as Crosby but he is a great sign US Hockey will have a future star player at the tops of their program.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Tb0ne said:
"Oh you ahve Crosby, we have Kessel."

When they say that I think they mean, "You have a future great player to lead your national team, so do we"

Of course Kessel won't be as good as Crosby but he is a great sign US Hockey will have a future star player at the tops of their program.

That's a little drastic. Who knows? Kessel could end up being better than Crosby. They both could be busts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad