Kessel vs. Crosby: Hype Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The funny thing is that I've known about Frolik for almost as long as I've known about Kessel. I remember following his progress in the Czech midget leagues a few years back. I've never seen him so I can't compare him to Kessel but what he's done so far in his young career has been quite impressive.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
Didn't Crosby have a professional player on his line at the WJC? Thought so...Please try telling me that this made NO difference in the point totals for the two players. Canada was absolutely stacked, and this needs to be recognized if we're going to analyze numbers. Kessel's a great prospect. I would like for at least one of you haters to acknowledge this fact.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
KB said:
Didn't Crosby have a professional player on his line at the WJC? Thought so...Please try telling me that this made NO difference in the point totals for the two players. Canada was absolutely stacked, and this needs to be recognized if we're going to analyze numbers. Kessel's a great prospect. I would like for at least one of you haters to acknowledge this fact.

Canada was stacked. Rolling the lines like Canada did didn't give Crosby all that much ice time. Not saying he didn't play enough but he played a regular shift and nothing more.

Kessel is a good prospect but he's going to have to sustain his development for a little longer before people are wetting their pants. And Frolik looks to be even a bit better than Kessel at this point.

To get back to the topic of this thread, no Kessel would not generate Crosby-hype if he were Canadian. He'd probably slightly less hyped than Spezza was at 16, which was a ton - but still behind Crosby.

The Crosby train started rolling quite a long time ago. When he was 14 he scored something like 27 points in four or five games against 17 year olds at the Air Canada Cup. That is an absolutely ridiculous stat if you know anything about that tournament. And since then he has improved every single year and dominated every level he's played so none of the hype has slowed. Kessel hasn't done that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Carl O'Steen said:
Did you watch Frolik play?

I saw him twice, both against the United States, and I thought he looked great. I haven't followed his career as closely as I've followed Kessel's (for obvious reasons), but I will acknowledge his level of skill and potential. He's right up there will Kessel, there's no denying that. It's just that from what I've seen and heard I think Kessel is slightly more dynamic. Shoot, when its all said and done, both might behind another player in the 2006 draft. Who knows?

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
I saw him twice, both against the United States, and I thought he looked great. I haven't followed his career as closely as I've followed Kessel's (for obvious reasons), but I will acknowledge his level of skill and potential. He's right up there will Kessel, there's no denying that. It's just that from what I've seen and heard I think Kessel is slightly more dynamic. Shoot, when its all said and done, both might behind another player in the 2006 draft. Who knows?
I'd say that Kessel might be up there with Frolik.

Not the other way around.

He's played in the professional league... at 16 years old. That's insanity.

leafaholix*

Mobey said:
Ok, so Frolik > Crosby.
Personally, I wouldn't argue with that point.

I like them both a lot.

If Frolik is a Jagr type, and Crosby is similar to Forsberg... I'll take either.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Yikes, if he continues his current scoring pace (which seems to be speeding up) he will be only 20-30 points shy of what Lemeiux had in his second season in the Q in a league that probably has less scoring than back then.

Reilly311

Tb0ne said:
Yikes, if he continues his current scoring pace (which seems to be speeding up) he will be only 20-30 points shy of what Lemeiux had in his second season in the Q in a league that probably has less scoring than back then.

OMG HE'S GOING TO BE BETTER THAN LEMIEUX!!!!1111

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Reilly311

Did I in ANY WAY say that? I was merely comparing statistics. There are just numbers, but they are still interesting to check out.

Grow up and stop trying to bait people.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Carl O'Steen said:
I'd say that Kessel might be up there with Frolik.

Not the other way around.

He's played in the professional league... at 16 years old. That's insanity.

I find it difficult to compare the two in that sense since to preserve his amateur status, Kessel can't play "professionally," but that's me. Professional scouts on the other hand, see beyond such a superficial comparison, and are able to look for long term impact, which is why certain scouting services rate a guy like Jack Johnson, who also plays for the U.S. Under 18 team, higher than any player in the 2005 draft with the exception of Sidney Crosby. My point is, just because a player is skating in a professional league doesn't mean he's better than one who isn't.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Isnt it great that the big 4 in hockey have a young "phenom" type??

Canada - Crosby
USA - Kessel
Czech - Frolik
Finland - Joensuu

Cant we just agree that there are some pretty damn good young hockey players out there, regardless of where they come from. Hockey is in good shape at the grass roots level. If only we could get the pros playing again everything would be fine.

Mountain Dude

Tb0ne said:
Reilly311

Did I in ANY WAY say that? I was merely comparing statistics. There are just numbers, but they are still interesting to check out.

Grow up and stop trying to bait people.

Hes just bitter because he's from a B Hockey nation.

Phaneuf*

Crosby has proved alot more so far. Once Kessel starts playing in the NCAA we'll see what kind of number this phenom can put up

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
gars59 said:
but in europe prospect like frolik play on fourth line and have a limited ice time ... :yo: frolik own crosby

Which of course is great for their development. :shakehead

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
the last year its the sam for oa ,. its the same for joenussue

perezhogin play on the third line in russia ..... but it' a good prospect

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Did La La just diss Russian hockey by stating that the "big 4" of Canada, USA, Czech Republic and Finland all have a star of the future? :)

I'm surprised nobody from Mother Russia, or all those Ovechkin/Malkin disciples out there, haven't protested yet!

For the record, I think it's a "Big 5", not a Big 4, in hockey right now.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Did La La just diss Russian hockey by stating that the "big 4" of Canada, USA, Czech Republic and Finland all have a star of the future? :)

I'm surprised nobody from Mother Russia, or all those Ovechkin/Malkin disciples out there, haven't protested yet!

For the record, I think it's a "Big 5", not a Big 4, in hockey right now.

I took it as meaning undrafted amateur kids. It's a poor draft year for Russia according to many observers. (I don't know how true this is, I haven't seen the Russian kids).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad